Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
As awesome as getting a room for the theater is, there are some minor changes necessary.

The first one I'm aware of is due to the fact that this room is on the second floor which is constructed from wood. This means Great Gamma's for the subs which are going in mid wall on both sides of the room. Jury is out on weather or not to isolate the LCR's from the floor also. What do you think?

The deminsions for this room work out so that the viewing distance for our screen size is at 66% of the room length. Pure coincidence that it worked out that way. ( I'm totally taking credit for it when people visit though )

Now, systems are go for room treatments since we're not talking about our living room any longer. Floor to ceiling corner traps will work up front, as will first reflects on side walls. The back of the room has some challenges as there is a walk in closet, a bathroom, and the entry to the room. Oh, and eventually some diffusion for the ceiling. Thoughts?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
As awesome as getting a room for the theater is, there are some minor changes necessary.

The first one I'm aware of is due to the fact that this room is on the second floor which is constructed from wood. This means Great Gamma's for the subs which are going in mid wall on both sides of the room. Jury is out on weather or not to isolate the LCR's from the floor also. What do you think?

The deminsions for this room work out so that the viewing distance for our screen size is at 66% of the room length. Pure coincidence that it worked out that way. ( I'm totally taking credit for it when people visit though )

Now, systems are go for room treatments since we're not talking about our living room any longer. Floor to ceiling corner traps will work up front, as will first reflects on side walls. The back of the room has some challenges as there is a walk in closet, a bathroom, and the entry to the room. Oh, and eventually some diffusion for the ceiling. Thoughts?
I wouldn't go crazy with room treatments right away....you don't want a completely dead room.

I wouldn't do any isolation for the speakers. I'm assuming as this is a bedroom it will be carpet, so carpet spikes are usually enough of an isolation of the cabinet is built properly.

I can certainly concur with your choice to do Gramma's for the subs though, this drastically reduced distortion and structural resonance in my experience.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Moving day is drawing near...

Well everything theater-wise is boxed and ready to go. Since we rent I had to repair and re-paint the living room.

This is the current state.......

And the money shot......

After seeing it all set-up for the last three years this is odd. Every time I walk in it stops me for a moment.

Yes those are little computer monitors providing the work music. The're being fed from my Xoom tablet a diet of .WAV files and internet radio. Brave little guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Also, the room we're putting it in has a surprise, vaulted ceiling. The plans we looked at didn't show this. I really dislike painting while on a ladder.

I'm going to have to get creative for the PJ mount. It's gonna be interesting to see/hear what this room is going to do to my system.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well everything theater-wise is boxed and ready to go. Since we rent I had to repair and re-paint the living room.

This is the current state.......

And the money shot......

After seeing it all set-up for the last three years this is odd. Every time I walk in it stops me for a moment.

Yes those are little computer monitors providing the work music. The're being fed from my Xoom tablet a diet of .WAV files and internet radio. Brave little guys.
I know the feeling man I went threw that a few years ago and its no fun . It amazing how much gear you have and dont realise until you start boxing it up .

Last edited by a moderator:
TheFactor

TheFactor

Thought i'd share my 2whell brotha

BTW Scored me another bike a few months ago a K7 SUZUKI gsxr 1000 with only 1200 mile bone stock one owner . Well it was stock :D Anyway love this bike man tons of power cant wait to get it on the track just had it dynoed at 168 rwh and 80rwt :cool: Just had some handmade lower carbon fiber tank panels installed.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
^^^^^^^^^^
PURDY!!!!!!!!

Nice score, the weather's got me wanting to put the move on hold for a few hours this evening for some bike therapy. Then you go off and show me this..... it's a sign.:D

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
We get the keys to the new place in the morning. Then the move goes official.

The vaulted ceiling in the room the theater goes in is going to get some interesting treatment. We decided to build a truss for my club lights to go on. The center of the truss is going to be framed for 2X2 tiles to go in. We'll probally use diffraction tiles in it. Think of it as a cloud ceiling from disco land.

I'll get an older video of them in action up on YouTube and link it here once we have internet at the new place. Pretty darn cool, the whole thing was run from a switch we lovingly called "the emergency party button". The reason they're never in the pics is a couple of them resonate and we'd take them down. They're getting some dynamat applied to cure that before they go up this time.

Of course I'll put up some new pics and a video once the new rig is built. Might not be your cup of tea, but you'll look. Promise you can't resist.....

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Just thought I'd add this, the lights are for Karaoke parties and Rockband.

I know we're dorks.

Here's what happened......

We bought Rockband and the stage kit for Xbox 360. The stage kit consisted of a small led moonflower type light and a smoke machine with a strobe in the front of it. The tracks for Rockband have all been programmed with light show data and it is pretty cool. However, the fog machine is a cheapie and sets off the smoke detectors pretty quickly so we hunted down a real fogger to use with it.

We found the new fogger at a Karaoke/DJ supply store. They had trusses set up with pro lights running for demo. It was all over for us. We bought two lights to go along with the fogger and brought 'em home and set 'em up for the next Karaoke party at our house. They we're a hit.

And we never looked back from there, adding lasers, scanners, moonflowers, strobes etc..

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
We're moved..... sort of. We still need to get "moved in" to the new place.

The screen wall has been painted Mouse ears black, the rest of the room will follow suit. I painted the screen wall first so that I can get the screen up soon.

TheFactor

TheFactor

We're moved..... sort of. We still need to get "moved in" to the new place.

The screen wall has been painted Mouse ears black, the rest of the room will follow suit. I painted the screen wall first so that I can get the screen up soon.
Pics are a must when your settled in :D

TheFactor

TheFactor

Heres a couple of me at the track and after ;) on my new gixxer and oh man did it feel good !! Anyway thought i'd share with my brother biker ;)

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Cool pics!

I'm a little surprised to see they let you keep the mirrors on and didn't have you tape the lights.....none the less, I'm über jealous.

There may be a compound miter saw involved with the new room.... we'll see.

The projector is up, as is the screen. Still need to paint the remaining walls and ceiling. Funding put a hold on the purchase of supplies until Friday, thankfully I had left over paint from the last room to hit the screen wall with.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Yes normaly you have to tape everything up but It was a short session about 15 laps and ive got connections ; ) but on a full trackday yes mirrors can stay but everything must be taped up. I'll be doing a full trackday in 2 weeks and can't wait and have stocked up on tape lol. Sounds like your making progress with your new place and thats going to be. Sweet man when your done! !! If you get a chance watch battle LA it has strong LFE you'll enjoy it.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know anything about bike racing - why would the lights need to be taped up?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis