Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I have some info on the speaker mounts. They are made by Vantage Point, and the model is "BKPSPE". I bought mine through standsandmounts.com, but I don't think they have that one any longer. So I went looking, and found them at racksandstands.com. I can't say which company is better, I only used stands and mounts the one time. And I have no experience with Rack and stands.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Oh, as for the performance of the PSW 1000, overall I have been quite pleased. The sub is VERY musical, and somewhat easy to make happy as far as placement is concerned.

The lust for a SVS comes from the -3db roll off at around 33 hz. There is a lot of viceral LFE in some movies below this point that this sub is incapable of producing. In music however, only a pipe organ or synth bass can go low enough to find the bottom of this sub. The frequency response is very flat, and the amp is definately powerfull enough to do the job. I have it set at about 2.5 out of 11 on the subs volume, and that's 3db hot in my room!:eek:It isn't until you go below polks stated roll off that this sub bottoms out of begins to chuff.

I would recomend this sub to anyone looking for a sub for a music only set-up. In fact for most people it would be more than enough for movies as well. But I get a kick out of the subsonic stuff starting to show up in movies. So it's actually just a pursuit of the bottom few hz that's inspired the upgradeitis. Not a flaw in the PSW 1000

Last edited:
Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Wescott, I thought I'd post up an update.

I have been experimenting with positions for the center channel speaker as well as seating. The center channel is now under the screen (where it looks the best) and this puts the tweeter 8" closer to the center of the screen. I had not used this position because the fear of bloom from a cabinet like enclosure, to my surprise it sounds great there!

Also, we have tried moving the couch forward. Two things happened here.

1st. We are able to get much closer to the THX veiwing distance for our screen size.:D

2nd. This has made me want to get that rack moved. The closer seating position does flatten the sound out really well. It also moves us out of the null zone for our bi-pole surrounds. I switched them back to di-pole and am very happy with the SQ. However, the location of the rack is preventing being able to move the mains closer together, leaving stereo imaging a mess. So I'm going to bite the bullet on a longer HDMI soon to get the rack moved.

Thanks for the advice,
-Bryan

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
Wescott, I thought I'd post up an update.

I have been experimenting with positions for the center channel speaker as well as seating.

Thanks for the advice,
-Bryan
Bryan,

Nothing tickles me more than someone who is open minded like yourself and willing to do a little work\testing. I am glad that your system is starting to fall in place and that you are pleased with the results. I also appreciate your candor while reviewing the PSW-1000.

I would probably have suggested placing the seating position 2/3 back from the display but moving it forward is usually not an option for most people due to limited space. I would have to do some homework to see what issues you may be facing other than the obvious you stated about stereo imaging but trust your ears. If it sounds good, no amount of theoretical calculations are going to trump your listening skills. Rooms are not perfectly sealed rectangles so your solution may actually be the best for your situation. Keep experimenting. I think there is no better way to learn.

Thanks again and keep us posted. Blue Jeans has some great HDMI cables at a fair price and Kurt is a great man to do business with. Shipping is the fastest of any AV business I have ever dealt with.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nice system you got there, really like the coloring. Really nice rack, too.

SheepStar

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice room.. I would much like to hear Brandon Boyd in that room. Great DVD choice. Those HD Concerts from Red Rocks are just awesome, Incubus was no exception. I really like the way that rack is all setup, very clean. Great job.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I really like your setup!

I'm planning on getting a Middle Atlantic rack, and wanted to do one like you have with the door. How many U is your rack? I need like 16U's of space. Also, would you mind if I asked, ballpark, how much the unit cost? I know the faceplates and shelves add some to the cost as well, along with the nicer finish.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
The rack is made by Studiotech.com. It is a U-60. I only have a partial rack installed at this time, the rest of the shelves were included with the cabinet. they have a pretty healthy supply of accesories to customize to your delight. I still have a pretty long wish list of stuff to do to mine.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Oh, and as far as the cost just check out studiotech. Their customer service was top notch. ( no I'm not a studiotech employee ) Sorry about the delay in the response, I've been swamped at work.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I believe it's official now

I have reached the rank of "tweaker". This weekend the access door on the front of my 4806 fell off. Yep, off.

Did anyone know Denon grounds the access panel? That's some serious chassis attention. The panel was hanging from a ground wire when I discovered it.

Funny how something purely cosmetic can bring on upgradeitis.

A

abjonesiii

Audioholic
hey cruise where did you get the ceiling mounts for you rears?

S

Sherardp

Audioholic
nice setup, we have all of the same speakers. The only thing you I would recommend, or say give some thought to is a front PJ setup for movie viewing. It sure looks like you have the room for it, an electric screen (www.htdepot.com) and an Epson 1080UB or Panny 3000U would be icing on the cake for sure. Nice room though, enjoy.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I have some info on the speaker mounts. They are made by Vantage Point, and the model is "BKPSPE". I bought mine through standsandmounts.com, but I don't think they have that one any longer. So I went looking, and found them at racksandstands.com. I can't say which company is better, I only used stands and mounts the one time. And I have no experience with Rack and stands.
From post 21.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Can't take my eyes off the R1 !!!!

Love that bike... Yamaha all the way baby....

Oh and Nice work on the HT as well my friend... :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis