GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I had to look that up!
  • The US military had developed & tested multi-use jet injectors for vaccinations since the early 1950s.
  • In 1961, the military started to routinely use jet injectors for vaccinations.
  • In 1986, a Hepatitis B virus outbreak occurred among 57 patients at a Los Angeles clinic because of jet injector.
  • In 1997, the US Department of Defense, the jet injector's biggest user, announced that it would stop using it for mass vaccinations due to concerns about infection.
  • In 2003, the US Department of Veterans Affairs recognized for the first time that a veteran acquired a Hepatitis C virus infection from jet injections he received during military service, and awarded service-connection for his disability.
I don't think they were ever used in the Canadian military. Certainly not in 1982, when I joined up. Of course, our armed forces were/are much, much smaller than the in US, so basic training courses were also much smaller.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I will stay on target with my Covid boosters, but for those over 60, we now have to consider a new first released RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) vaccine. After years of research, there are now two vaccines for babies and older adults over 60. Arexvy which has an 82.6% efficacy in preventing symptomatic lower respiratory disease associated with RSV in the first RSV season, while Abrysvo had an efficacy of 88.9% in the first season. Both vaccines are given as a single dose and can be received at the same time as other vaccines.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I will stay on target with my Covid boosters, but for those over 60, we now have to consider a new first released RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) vaccine. After years of research, there are now two vaccines for babies and older adults over 60. Arexvy which has an 82.6% efficacy in preventing symptomatic lower respiratory disease associated with RSV in the first RSV season, while Abrysvo had an efficacy of 88.9% in the first season. Both vaccines are given as a single dose and can be received at the same time as other vaccines.

That new respiratory RSV vaccine is not covered by our governments in Canada. It would cost $300 to get it, and some people who most likely need it won't be able to afford the expense. If these catch the disease and need hospitalization, the overall cost to governing bodies will exceed the $300 that they don't wish to fund.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
Probably will get the new covid with my yearly flu shot in the next few weeks.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This news blurb links mutations in the virus to treatment with molnupiravir.

>>>The study put forward that molnupiravir may increase genomic diversity in the viral cells that survive the hazardous mutations brought on by the drug, expanding the variety from which SARS-CoV-2 can select from for future changes.

“Importantly, the divergence of the molnupiravir mutation spectrum from standard SARS-CoV-2 mutational dynamics might allow the virus to explore the fitness of distinctive parts of the possible genomic landscape to those it is already widely exploring in the general population,” the study stated.

“Molnupiravir-induced mutation could also potentially allow infections to persist for longer by creating a more varied target for the immune system.”<<<

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4222003-potential-link-found-between-merck-antiviral-and-mutated-covid-strains/

The Harvard Gazette also just ran an article on the topic of mutations caused by molnupiravir.

>>>Since molnupiravir causes the virus to die by inducing mutations, some have raised concerns about the possibility of inadvertently creating new, treatment-resistant versions of the virus. Coronaviruses like SARS-CoV-2 are good at mutating into newer strains like Delta, Omicron, and EG.5. The idea of a drug that helps the virus mutate, even for the purpose of killing it, has some people worried. . . .

A research team . . . took a math-based dive into the question of whether molnupiravir could lead to harmful mutations of the virus that causes COVID-19. . . . They conclude with potential good news: Molnupiravir appears to be “marginally evolutionarily safe.” That is, if used correctly, the treatment reduces the ability of the virus to create surviving mutants.<<<

“Marginally evolutionarily safe” doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
This news blurb links mutations in the virus to treatment with molnupiravir.

>>>The study put forward that molnupiravir may increase genomic diversity in the viral cells that survive the hazardous mutations brought on by the drug, expanding the variety from which SARS-CoV-2 can select from for future changes.

“Importantly, the divergence of the molnupiravir mutation spectrum from standard SARS-CoV-2 mutational dynamics might allow the virus to explore the fitness of distinctive parts of the possible genomic landscape to those it is already widely exploring in the general population,” the study stated.

“Molnupiravir-induced mutation could also potentially allow infections to persist for longer by creating a more varied target for the immune system.”<<<

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4222003-potential-link-found-between-merck-antiviral-and-mutated-covid-strains/

The Harvard Gazette also just ran an article on the topic of mutations caused by molnupiravir.

>>>Since molnupiravir causes the virus to die by inducing mutations, some have raised concerns about the possibility of inadvertently creating new, treatment-resistant versions of the virus. Coronaviruses like SARS-CoV-2 are good at mutating into newer strains like Delta, Omicron, and EG.5. The idea of a drug that helps the virus mutate, even for the purpose of killing it, has some people worried. . . .

A research team . . . took a math-based dive into the question of whether molnupiravir could lead to harmful mutations of the virus that causes COVID-19. . . . They conclude with potential good news: Molnupiravir appears to be “marginally evolutionarily safe.” That is, if used correctly, the treatment reduces the ability of the virus to create surviving mutants.<<<

“Marginally evolutionary safe” doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.
This virus is mutating as faster than a Kardashian/Taylor Swift picks a new partner.:D

But, in reality, the Covid virus is changing fast and I'm affraid it will change faster than the research can keep up.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
My Primary Care Physician instructed me to space vaccines about two weeks apart.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This virus is mutating as faster than a Kardashian/Taylor Swift picks a new partner.:D

But, in reality, the Covid virus is changing fast and I'm affraid it will change faster than the research can keep up.
The Covid-19 virus mutates rapidly, as do all newly emerged infectious viruses. But the mutations that survive are those that allow the virus to infect many hosts (people) without killing them. All viruses end up doing that. And we see plenty of evidence that SARS-CoV-2 is doing that too.

For example, look at the influenza virus that caused the dangerous "Spanish Flu" pandemic of 1918-20. It killed many millions. Today, all influenza virus strains that survive are direct descendants of that Spanish Flu virus. They replaced any other flu strains that existed before 1918-20. These direct descendants are highly infectious, but they aren't nearly as lethal as they were in 1918-20.

The news media are getting this mutation story partially right and partially wrong. The virus continues to mutate rapidly – but we aren't doomed.

I still urge people to get vaccinated with the latest vaccine. I will sometime in October. The virus may be less lethal than in 2020, but we cannot assume our individual immune systems will always be up to handling an infection. We can be confident that this virus will settle down and behave itself. But we simply don't know when that will happen.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
My Primary Care Physician instructed me to space vaccines about two weeks apart.
Probably will do that so I don't have multiple after effects in the same day. Will probably get the flu shot next week then the updated covid 2 weeks later. Thanks for the info.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
About the flu shot, although my age I'm not interested in getting it. I don't remember when I had that flu the last time, I think it was over 50 years ago. I had a shot in 2021 but I'm not worrying about getting it. I have been taking food supplements for almost 40 years and I'm sure that they have been boosting my immune system all that time.
However, with regard to Covid-19 , I am going to get the new vaccine around Mid November. Experts say that we don't have to get the shot before at least 5 months and even more have expired since last shot. My last shot was on March 25.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
About the flu shot, although my age I'm not interested in getting it. I don't remember when I had that flu the last time, I think it was over 50 years ago. I had a shot in 2021 but I'm not worrying about getting it. I have been taking food supplements for almost 40 years and I'm sure that they have been boosting my immune system all that time.
However, with regard to Covid-19 , I am going to get the new vaccine around Mid November. Experts say that we don't have to get the shot before at least 5 months and even more have expired since last shot. My last shot was on March 25.
I can't remember the last time I had the flu either, but I get my shot every year.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I can't remember the last time I had the flu either, but I get my shot every year.
I don't listen to the news or take advice from politicians and celebrities regarding my health, I trust my doctor,(s) have been for a long time. I've gotten my flu shot ever year for a really long time and can't remember when I had the flu. I think a lot has to do with your immune system, your current health and how you take care of yourself and I think age has a lot to do with it. The older you get, the weaker your immune system becomes, and the more likely you are to get seriously ill or die because of it. And from what I have read and been told by doctors, age 60 is when it all starts to go downhill.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I don't listen to the news or take advice from politicians and celebrities regarding my health, I trust my doctor,(s) have been for a long time. I've gotten my flu shot ever year for a really long time and can't remember when I had the flu. I think a lot has to do with your immune system, your current health and how you take care of yourself and I think age has a lot to do with it. The older you get, the weaker your immune system becomes, and the more likely you are to get seriously ill or die because of it. And from what I have read and been told by doctors, age 60 is when it all starts to go downhill.
I don't understand people who say, "I've got a strong immune system, so I don't need a vaccination".

Your immune system is "strong" until it isn't, and you may not know it until you get seriously ill after forgoing a safe and effective vaccine.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I don't understand people who say, "I've got a strong immune system, so I don't need a vaccination".

Your immune system is "strong" until it isn't, and you may not know it until you get seriously ill after forgoing a safe and effective vaccine.
Your first statement is so true. The Trumpers and DeSantis follow that one.

Regarding your second statement, after my cancer surgery and treatment from March 2020 - May 6th,( all during the full blown covid outbreak), 6 months later, they performed blood test on me to check my immune system to check the levels of infection-fighting proteins (immunoglobulins) in my blood and measure the levels of blood cells and immune system cells. It for me, I was still not in the safe zone, after having he cancer along with 32 lymph nodes removed and the proton radiation. It was basically 13 months until my immune system recovered. Vaccines sure, as it beats the alternatives.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
As soon as I hear someone say, "I've got a strong immune system …", I think 2 or 3 things:
  1. If your immune system is actually strong, why won't you allow it to work?

2. That's code used by people who're afraid of needles.

3. If they're actually an anti-vaxxer, I say nothing at all, and only nod my head in agreement.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
USA continues to be ripped off.

>>>Compared with other countries, the US is again seeing exorbitant prices for a medicine—even one it helped develop.

In the current COVID-19 booster campaign, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is paying around $82 for each dose of Moderna's 2023–2024 updated mRNA COVID-19 vaccine for its program to provide vaccination for the uninsured. That price is a little over three times the $26 per dose the federal government paid for the last updated booster, which was exclusively distributed by the government. …<<<

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That's the trouble with immune systems. You only know they've failed when it's too late to do anything effective.

We all know people who claim, "I've never had the flu". I simply cannot believe them. More likely, they don't know they're sick, come to work, and infect others who work near them. I personally witnessed that more than once. I knew one guy who came to work with walking pneumonia (caused by a Mycoplasma or Legionella infection), and infected 3 other people with the same. He swore he wasn't sick. It must have been a case of Denial Disease.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis