Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So, should we get vaccinated again for these new variants out there?
Yes, I plan to do that. The newest version of the Covid-19 vaccine will be available in my neck of the woods (Maryland, outside of Washington, DC) no sooner than sometime in September. I'm waiting until they are available. I will get a flu vaccine shot at the same time.

I do realize that this Covid-19 vaccine version was not made directly against the very latest virus variant. But, I won't loose any sleep over that. This vaccine version is the best that will be available. Better to get the shot than skip it.

FWIW, I didn't come to this decision entirely on my own. I was told this by my rheumatologist yesterday who manages my immune-suppressing medication for an auto-immune condition.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, I plan to do that. The newest version of the Covid-19 vaccine will be available in my neck of the woods (Maryland, outside of Washington, DC) no sooner than sometime in September. I'm waiting until they are available. I will get a flu vaccine shot at the same time.

I do realize that this Covid-19 vaccine version was not made directly against the very latest virus variant. But, I won't loose any sleep over that. This vaccine version is the best that will be available. Better to get the shot than skip it.

FWIW, I didn't come to this decision entirely on my own. I was told this by my rheumatologist yesterday who manages my immune-suppressing medication for an auto-immune condition.
You could have asked me in a PM ;) :D without leaving home and get the same answer.:D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

As soon as I'm notified to come in, yes.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Agreed. I will get the latest vaccine as soon as it is available. Thank you for this information.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I won't be the first in line but will get it. Don't like getting two shots at one sitting though.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
I'm in also. Probably will combine it with my Flu shot as I have done that before. Don't know if the vaccine works but I'm 68 and never had covid so I tend to think it does. BTW mtrycrafts when I joined the USAF back in the day, we got multiple same day shots, and I didn't feel any adverse effects. But then again, I was a whole lot younger then. :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'm in also. Probably will combine it with my Flu shot as I have done that before. Don't know if the vaccine works but I'm 68 and never had covid so I tend to think it does. BTW mtrycrafts when I joined the USAF back in the day, we got multiple same day shots, and I didn't feel any adverse effects. But then again, I was a whole lot younger then. :)
Yes, and we were a hellofa lot younger then. :D
This last time I got two, one in each arm. Survived but don't have to like it. :D
Yes, I didn't have to make another trip, that I liked a lot. :D:D:D

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
According to this, it might be best to get the booster in the same arm as the prior jabs:

>>>The immune response may be stronger if your booster goes in the same arm as your last Covid-19 shot, according to a study published August 11 in the journal eBioMedicine. . . . Two weeks after the booster, the number of “killer T cells” was significantly higher in those who had both shots in the same arm, according to the study. Those cells, which attack and destroy the other cells they target, were present in 67% of the same-arm cases and only 43% in people who had their injections in different arms, according to study coauthor Laura Ziegler, a doctoral student at Saarland University. . . . Although the study showed a greater immune response, researchers can’t say for sure that getting the booster in the same arm results in better or longer lasting protection, Schaffner said. “We wouldn’t know that unless we did a much larger clinical study with follow-up actual infections,” he added.<<<

I've always thought that "killer T cells" are the badasses of the immune system. Hopefully the "wimpy little cells that don't really do jack" aren't too upset about it.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm glad you italicized the word might. That study might actually be right, but those numbers the authors reported don't allow conclusions with stronger wording. The study was on some 300 people. I suspect that those responses of 67% (both immunizations in one arm) vs. 43% (immunizations in separate arms) are close enough that a larger number of people would have to be studied before the authors could make more definite conclusions. Statistics and their need for at least 95% confidence intervals can be such a buzz kill.

Killer T-cells are definitely the badasses of the immune system. That's why their turn-on mechanisms have to be so elaborate, and why their turn-off mechanisms must be so abrupt & potent.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I remember those shots, you had no clue what shots you got, and it went fast. The shots were given depending on mission requirements, military occupation and location of deployment. But there were required shots during boot camp. The number of shots a recruit receives varies based on their medical history. But years later you find out, every recruit receives the Purified Protein Derivative (PPD) for the tuberculosis skin test and the penicillin shot. Every recruit also gets their blood drawn for lab work to help doctors check for certain diseases and conditions such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, anemia and coronary heart disease and I think its was like 17 shots in total, plus and missus a few. I'm 70 and back then you just did it.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That happened in Navy boot camp too, in 1971.
1692973222522.png
\
All the vaccinations were delivered by those airguns, often combining several vaccines at a time. You felt it later that evening and the next day.

The only shot delivered by needle was the dreaded 'bicillin' shot, a double dose of penicillin, 4 mL instead of the standard 2 mL. It was injected by needle into your upper butt muscle, and had the consistency of peanut butter. It hurt going in, and hurt much more the next morning. The Defense Dept. ignored any warnings about overusing antibiotics.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

According to this, it might be best to get the booster in the same arm as the prior jabs:

>>>The immune response may be stronger if your booster goes in the same arm as your last Covid-19 shot, according to a study published August 11 in the journal eBioMedicine. . . . Two weeks after the booster, the number of “killer T cells” was significantly higher in those who had both shots in the same arm, according to the study. Those cells, which attack and destroy the other cells they target, were present in 67% of the same-arm cases and only 43% in people who had their injections in different arms, according to study coauthor Laura Ziegler, a doctoral student at Saarland University. . . . Although the study showed a greater immune response, researchers can’t say for sure that getting the booster in the same arm results in better or longer lasting protection, Schaffner said. “We wouldn’t know that unless we did a much larger clinical study with follow-up actual infections,” he added.<<<

I've always thought that "killer T cells" are the badasses of the immune system. Hopefully the "wimpy little cells that don't really do jack" aren't too upset about it.
I try to get it into the same hole in that arm. :D
That should count even more.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
I remember those shots, you had no clue what shots you got, and it went fast. The shots were given depending on mission requirements, military occupation and location of deployment. But there were required shots during boot camp. The number of shots a recruit receives varies based on their medical history. But years later you find out, every recruit receives the Purified Protein Derivative (PPD) for the tuberculosis skin test and the penicillin shot. Every recruit also gets their blood drawn for lab work to help doctors check for certain diseases and conditions such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, anemia and coronary heart disease and I think its was like 17 shots in total, plus and missus a few. I'm 70 and back then you just did it.
Agreed. I was in the USAF in the late 70s and probably got most of those shots. All I remember was getting multiple shots with an air gun shooter no needles. But don't flinch or move or you might have a bloody arm.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
That happened in Navy boot camp too, in 1971.
View attachment 63040\
All the vaccinations were delivered by those airguns, often combining several vaccines at a time. You felt it later that evening and the next day.

The only shot delivered by needle was the dreaded 'bicillin' shot, a double dose of penicillin, 4 mL instead of the standard 2 mL. It was injected by needle into your upper butt muscle, and had the consistency of peanut butter. It hurt going in, and hurt much more the next morning. The Defense Dept. ignored any warnings about overusing antibiotics.
Yeah, those airguns could be very messy if you moved your arm. Most of my shots were done by airguns in the USAF back in 1975. I wonder if the military still uses them.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I was just at my Primary Care Physician, vaccines was one of our topics.
I'll be getting COVID, Flu and three other vaccines this Fall.
The doc repeated. wait about 2 weeks from one vaccine to the next. Regardless of what the pharmacist thinks.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yeah, those airguns could be very messy if you moved your arm. Most of my shots were done by airguns in the USAF back in 1975. I wonder if the military still uses them.
You can re-enlist to find out. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Most of my shots were done by airguns in the USAF back in 1975. I wonder if the military still uses them.
I had to look that up!
  • The US military had developed & tested multi-use jet injectors for vaccinations since the early 1950s.
  • In 1961, the military started to routinely use jet injectors for vaccinations.
  • In 1986, a Hepatitis B virus outbreak occurred among 57 patients at a Los Angeles clinic because of jet injector.
  • In 1997, the US Department of Defense, the jet injector's biggest user, announced that it would stop using it for mass vaccinations due to concerns about infection.
  • In 2003, the US Department of Veterans Affairs recognized for the first time that a veteran acquired a Hepatitis C virus infection from jet injections he received during military service, and awarded service-connection for his disability.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The boosters have been approved. Even though it is (in theory) possible to get one with no out of pocket cost, $100+ per jab seems high to me.

>>>How much will it cost?
For the first time since the vaccines became available, the federal government will not cover the cost of the shots.

Pfizer and Moderna have said they are pricing each vaccine dose at over $100.

Jennifer Kates, director of the Global Health & HIV Policy Program at the nonprofit KFF, said most people with private and public health insurance should continue to pay nothing out of pocket for the boosters — as long as they stick with an in-network provider.

“If you go out of network, you might have some cost, just like with any other service,” she said.

People who don’t have insurance — an estimated 30 million in the U.S. — should be able to get a booster for free at community health centers. Additionally, the Biden administration is also rolling out a “bridge” program that will offer uninsured people access to free boosters at least through the end of 2024. Those who don’t know or don’t have access to these resources may have to pay out of pocket, she said.<<<

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis