4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Transformers Rise of the Beast 4K ATMOS BluRay.

PQ. Shot w/ Arri Alexa 4K digital. So excellent PQ.

ATMOS: Superb reference quality.

Just have to fast forward all the scenes with only the boring humans and watch only the scenes with the Transformers. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Dead Reckoning in the theater on $4 movie day. The Atmos was great in theater. PQ was excellent. I did like it and find it a solid action flick, but I agree, not the best of the series. The train felt like a nice callback to the first one, but a lot of things throughout the whole film felt like the same old stuff. They introduced new characters that it feels like they want you to be interested in, only for them to not have as big of a role as it would seem, especially in one case where the character had almost no lines. The second half will need to improve on it.
Hopefully the BluRay version will have better Atmos.

Transformers Rise of the Beast BluRay ATMOS had significantly better ATMOS. Night and day difference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just finished Netflix “Ballerina 2023” 4K streaming. It is DDP5.1, not Atmos, but might not have much overhead anyway.

PQ is good, but I saw some grain. Not sure if this movie was shot with 35mm, but it probably was.

DDP5.1 SQ is good, I like the bass a lot.

This is a fun movie. Fast and kind of short. Simple story. I like it a lot. This is among my favorite Netflix movies to date. :D I hope it will release in 4K ATMOS BluRay, but might not since it’s from Netflix.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just finished Netflix “Ballerina 2023” 4K streaming. It is DDP5.1, not Atmos, but might not have much overhead anyway.

PQ is good, but I saw some grain. Not sure if this movie was shot with 35mm, but it probably was.

DDP5.1 SQ is good, I like the bass a lot.

This is a fun movie. Fast and kind of short. Simple story. I like it a lot. This is among my favorite Netflix movies to date. :D I hope it will release in 4K ATMOS BluRay, but might not since it’s from Netflix.
it is Korean so I kind of doubt we'll see a good US release for it. I haven't gotten around to Kill Boksoon either. I want to watch them both.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
it is Korean so I kind of doubt we'll see a good US release for it. I haven't gotten around to Kill Boksoon either. I want to watch them both.
Boksoon (which I also enjoy a lot) has a more complex story and probably more similar to John Wick when compared to Ballerina.

Ballerina is more short and sweet.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Just saw MI Dead Reckoning Part 1 4K ATMOS Streaming.

Movie was shot using Ari Alexa 4K Digital, so again PQ is excellent. Hopefully the BluRay version will have better ATMOS sound because the streaming version didn’t have reference quality. SQ is still good. But not as good as MI Fallout.

Since this is only “half” of the whole movie, I will wait until part 2 for my final assessment. But so far I don’t think part 1 is as good as MI Fallout. Just doesn’t feel to me like the “chemistry” is there among the characters. Also feels “forced” or “rushed” with the character development for the new characters.

Up next is Netflix’s “Ballerina 2023” 4K Streaming. :D
You'll be happy to know that Dead Reckoning was shot not only on 4k, but 4.5k and 6k! :p

I saw Dead Reckoning in theaters and thought the sound was alright. The Physical version is going to be a static sound almost the entire movie. There are some sequences like in the desert and the airport (baggage scene) where you'll hear sound moving all over your speakers.

Definitely not better than Fallout. I am a huge Mission Impossible fan, but thought this Part 1 was just ok. I agree with you on your takeaway. I felt the chemistry was forced and didn't feel natural. I actually didn't like the direction they took in this Pt1 with regards to Rebecca Ferguson's character. I thought the actor that played the villain was miscast. He didn't seem very "villain" to me. Compared to previous villains from the MI Franchise. I like that they brought characters from the first MI movie back. That was cool. I really hope they go out with a bang in Pt2. Tom Cruise has said it will be his last M.I. movie. In all honesty, If this Dead Reckoning Pt1/Pt2 never happened, I would've been totally fine with Fallout being the final movie in the M.I. series. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I saw Transformers Rise of the Beast 4K ATMOS BluRay.

PQ. Shot w/ Arri Alexa 4K digital. So excellent PQ.

ATMOS: Superb reference quality.

Just have to fast forward all the scenes with only the boring humans and watch only the scenes with the Transformers. :D
I will not be watching Transformer Rise of the Beast. hahaha.

This week during my Halloween movie marathon I'm doing the Halloween movies. I got all the new 4k editions (of course!) Just finished Halloween 3 last night. I had never seen 3 before. I've always heard it was one of the best in the series. It was pretty good. I actually like the direction John Carpenter was going. He didn't want to do a Halloween 2, but was forced to because of the success of the first one. But then he killed Michael Myers at the end of 2 and then wanted to create more Halloween movies without Myers. Even with Halloween 3 bombing at the box office, studios thought 6 years later they would resurrect Michael Myers in Halloween 4 then make 4 more after that. Then reboot the franchise twice! hahaha

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I will not be watching Transformer Rise of the Beast. hahaha.

This week during my Halloween movie marathon I'm doing the Halloween movies. I got all the new 4k editions (of course!) Just finished Halloween 3 last night. I had never seen 3 before. I've always heard it was one of the best in the series. It was pretty good. I actually like the direction John Carpenter was going. He didn't want to do a Halloween 2, but was forced to because of the success of the first one. But then he killed Michael Myers at the end of 2 and then wanted to create more Halloween movies without Myers. Even with Halloween 3 bombing at the box office, studios thought 6 years later they would resurrect Michael Myers in Halloween 4 then make 4 more after that. Then reboot the franchise twice! hahaha
Rise of the Beast is not better than most good movies, but it is still better than all the Halloween movies and the entire slasher genre. :D

I guess my Halloween movie is “M3GAN”, who would kick Chucky’s a$$ in hell. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You'll be happy to know that Dead Reckoning was shot not only on 4k, but 4.5k and 6k! :p

I saw Dead Reckoning in theaters and thought the sound was alright. The Physical version is going to be a static sound almost the entire movie. There are some sequences like in the desert and the airport (baggage scene) where you'll hear sound moving all over your speakers.

Definitely not better than Fallout. I am a huge Mission Impossible fan, but thought this Part 1 was just ok. I agree with you on your takeaway. I felt the chemistry was forced and didn't feel natural. I actually didn't like the direction they took in this Pt1 with regards to Rebecca Ferguson's character. I thought the actor that played the villain was miscast. He didn't seem very "villain" to me. Compared to previous villains from the MI Franchise. I like that they brought characters from the first MI movie back. That was cool. I really hope they go out with a bang in Pt2. Tom Cruise has said it will be his last M.I. movie. In all honesty, If this Dead Reckoning Pt1/Pt2 never happened, I would've been totally fine with Fallout being the final movie in the M.I. series. :D
Rebecca Ferguson is my favorite actress. So I was pissed! :mad:

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Rise of the Beast is not better than most good movies, but it is still better than all the Halloween movies and the entire slasher genre. :D

I guess my Halloween movie is “M3GAN”, who would kick Chucky’s a$$ in hell. :D
Hahaha, wow, look at your hate for the horror/slasher genre. They are all classic horror movies. They are great! Rise of the beasts will fade into oblivion and never be heard from again. While Halloween franchise will live on forever. It's still relevant decades later! One of the most iconic horror movies ever! :p

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Rebecca Ferguson is my favorite actress. So I was pissed! :mad:
That part of the story was dumb. Then out of nowhere some beautiful dame shows up (of course) and she's basically the female version of Ethan Hunt. She was some rogue thief but highly trained. Then gets accepted into the inner circle of IMF lickity split and will most likely be a TRUE IMF agent when PT2 arrives.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha, wow, look at your hate for the horror/slasher genre. They are all classic horror movies. They are great! Rise of the beasts will fade into oblivion and never be heard from again. While Halloween franchise will live on forever. It's still relevant decades later! One of the most iconic horror movies ever! :p
lol, pretty much all of the Transformers movies have already fallen into oblivion.

I liked 3. I don't see the hate, if they called it something else to separate it from the franchise, it probably would have been more popular. The reboot is not so good; feels pretty generic to me. Kills was just OK, though it was fun to have Jamie Lee in it. I didn't get around to watching Ends because of the bad reviews.

After the first Chucky, none of them were any good. M3GAN was really fun. We just went to Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood and got to see one of the actual M3GAN movie props. They also had the Five Nights at Freddy's props.

For sure the villain in Dead Reckoning is the weakest part of the film. He feels cookie cutter. Kind of like 007 No Time To Die - they had Rami Malek for the villain yet produced a bad guy who felt like he was just along for the ride and not very interesting.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
lol, pretty much all of the Transformers movies have already fallen into oblivion.

I liked 3. I don't see the hate, if they called it something else to separate it from the franchise, it probably would have been more popular. The reboot is not so good; feels pretty generic to me. Kills was just OK, though it was fun to have Jamie Lee in it. I didn't get around to watching Ends because of the bad reviews.

After the first Chucky, none of them were any good. M3GAN was really fun. We just went to Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood and got to see one of the actual M3GAN movie props. They also had the Five Nights at Freddy's props also.

For sure the villain in Dead Reckoning is the weakest part of the film. He feels cookie cutter. Kind of like 007 No Time To Die - they had Rami Malek for the villain yet produced a bad guy who felt like he was just along for the ride and not very interesting.
I was reading the trivia of Halloween 2 and 3 and the original idea was to just make Halloween a stand-alone movie. John Carpenter didn't want to continue. After the success of the first one the studio forced him to work on a second one. John C. didn't direct the second one but he wrote it and produced it. He has said that he hates Halloween 2. He produced Halloween 3, but said that Halloween 3 is where he wanted to take the franchise originally. Move on from Michael Myers and do just horror movies under the Halloween umbrella. He could've maybe stayed in the same universe and done many different things. Then 6 years after Halloween 3, Studios brought Michael Myers back and the rest is history.

I only saw the first Rob Zombie Halloween and didn't like it. Same with the current reboot. Saw the first one and thought it was meh. Never watched the final two.

I do like the Childs Play trilogy. I know there are more, but really only 1-3 count. For me at least. Never wasted my time with any after the 3rd one. One is clearly the top choice, but 2 and 3 are so funny. The cheesy dialogue and over the top violence. Just perfect! hahaha :p

I think Dead reckoning is an overall good M.I. movie, but I would rank low-mid of the pack. The first one, Fallout and Rogue Nation being the top 3, Ghost Protocol at #4, Dead Reckoning at 5, M.I. 2 at 6 and M.I. 3 at 7.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That part of the story was dumb. Then out of nowhere some beautiful dame shows up (of course) and she's basically the female version of Ethan Hunt. She was some rogue thief but highly trained. Then gets accepted into the inner circle of IMF lickity split and will most likely be a TRUE IMF agent when PT2 arrives.
Yeah, very rushed/forced/unnatural/unnecessary.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
True.

But Rise of the Beast has the best ATMOS of all Transformers movies and better than probably 90% of all movies. The previous one (Last Knight) has very good ATMOS, but this one is even better. So if I had to choose 1 Transformers movie, it would be this one for the ATMOS demo. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another movie I like a lot for Halloween week is "Malignant 2021", also shot with Arri Alexa 4K Digital, so excellent PQ.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Another movie I like a lot for Halloween week is "Malignant 2021", also shot with Arri Alexa 4K Digital, so excellent PQ.
That is on my list since it is James Wan. I generally like his films as long as it isn't Aquaman lol.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That is on my list since it is James Wan. I generally like his films as long as it isn't Aquaman lol.
I had not realized he directed a Fast and Furious movie. I guess I haven't seen all his movies after all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
He's probably another director that does well only if the writing is good. And I think the writing for "Malignant 2021" is very good. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis