4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Twisters was good. Not exactly an earth shatteringly great story, a little slower than the first one, but at least as good as the first one. The wife liked it better than the first one. PQ and effects were pretty good. Where this movie really shined was the Atmos and audio in general. With all the things flying around you, the sense of space was huge. I hope that translates to home because I would buy this one just for the audio.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Twisters was good. Not exactly an earth shatteringly great story, a little slower than the first one, but at least as good as the first one. The wife liked it better than the first one. PQ and effects were pretty good. Where this movie really shined was the Atmos and audio in general. With all the things flying around you, the sense of space was huge. I hope that translates to home because I would buy this one just for the audio.
You know I'm gonna have to ask this - Did things fly overhead and did you hear those same things above you or did they fly overhead and you just heard it flying around you? :D

Based on my theory about the screenwriter, I figured the story/writing would be good. :D

In terms of screenwriters, I would favor Twisters-2024 over Twister-1996. So I would also predict that the writing of Twisters-2024 is better than Twister-1996.

I also just noticed that Twister 2024 has an IMDb rating of 7.1, while Twisters 1996 has a rating of 6.5 - so very significantly different.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You know I'm gonna have to ask this - Did things fly overhead and did you hear those same things above you or did they fly overhead and you just heard it flying around you? :D

Based on my theory about the screenwriter, I figured the story/writing would be good. :D

In terms of screenwriters, I would favor Twisters-2024 over Twister-1996. So I would also predict that the writing of Twisters-2024 is better than Twisters-1996.
it was enveloping, things moving above and all around, expected with a tornado. There is so much sound it is hard to tell lol, but it was a cool effect. This theater is new, first time we've been to it, and had what sounded like a properly configured Atmos setup. It was loud without being annoyingly loud like some theaters.

The story was more "grounded" and felt a bit more honest and realistic. There's multiple levels of conflict and part of it is pretty dark. It develops slow, but isn't boring.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The story was more "grounded" and felt a bit more honest and realistic.
That’s all I can ask for.

Expected that from Joseph Kosinski (screenwriter for TRON Legacy and Top Gun Maverick) and Mark L. Smith (screenwriter for The Revenant).

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Horizon Chapter 1, 4K ATMOS.

PQ - excellent. Shot using 6K-8K digital cameras, mastered in 4K digital. Very beautiful looking movie.
SQ - I heard some good overhead sound effects. Overall pretty good SQ.

Writing/Story - I thought it was terrible. :D

I like Kevin Costner - he's among my favorite actors. I love most of his movies and especially Yellowstone. But man, I thought the writing/story of "Horizon Chapter 1" was just horrible. It was so unfocused. It must be terrible writing. Costner did a great job directing Dances with Wolves, so he must be a good director. So I assume "Horizon" just has terrible writing. 3+ hours of a huge mess to me. Curious to see what everyone else thinks. :D

I was thinking that if I were taking a change and used my own money to make a movie, I would hire the best screenwriter money I can afford. Writing is so important if not salient. Instead, he used somebody that has not much writing credits at all. Such a bad decision. Should have hired Taylor Sheridan or another great writer.
Kevin Costner wrote this movie. He's had this idea and script since the 90's. He's been working on it on and off for the last 30 or more years.

I can't wait to see it! Waiting for 4k disc.

The reason it didn't do well at the box office is because Western's in general don't do well at the box office. It's not the like the days of old, like the 50's and 60's where Westerns were gigantic box office successes. Stats show that Westerns are just not a pull any longer. The movie released with ZERO premium screens, is rated R and has a runtime over 3 hours. Anybody that watches weekly box office (like myself) knew the movie was not going to pull big box office numbers. Especially in today's theater landscape, it was going to be hard to make $30-$40 million. But Costner knew this already and that's why he said he's playing the long ball with these movies. He wants them on digital and physical release. He wants this movie on cable TV. So he can reach as many people as possible to watch it. He'll easily make another $10-$20 million or more in digital and physical disc sales.

It's sad, because there are tons of westerns that were made in the last 25 years that are excellent films. Unfortunately, this generation needs Marvel and other simple storylines and big action CGI pieces to make them to go the theater.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Did everybody see the Trailer for Joseph Kosinski's next film F1?

Unfortunately, I see the movie flopping at the box office. Current cost of the movie is north of $300 million and that doesn't include marketing. From what I've seen. Plus, we're talking a racing movie. Racing movies are not a huge pull for today's generation. From what I said about Horizon, Westerns and Racing movies can be lumped into the same circle, masses of young, middle aged people are just not amped to see westerns and movies related to racing.

I truly hope the movie is awesome. It's clearly made to be seen in IMAX. My expectations are that, this is going to be a visual and audio master piece. I'm sure once it hits physical it will be a demo-worthy Disc. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Unfortunately, I see the movie flopping at the box office. Current cost of the movie is north of $300 million and that doesn't include marketing. From what I've seen. Plus, we're talking a racing movie. Racing movies are not a huge pull for today's generation. From what I said about Horizon, Westerns and Racing movies can be lumped into the same circle, masses of young, middle aged people are just not amped to see westerns and movies related to racing.

I truly hope the movie is awesome. It's clearly made to be seen in IMAX. My expectations are that, this is going to be a visual and audio master piece. I'm sure once it hits physical it will be a demo-worthy Disc. :D
Rush did pretty well and so did Ford vs. Ferrari, so there is hope for F1.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Rush did pretty well and so did Ford vs. Ferrari, so there is hope for F1.
Those were both pre-Covid. Box office today is nothing compared to pre-COVID box office.

Rush made $98 million globally. On a $38 million budget.

Ford v Ferrari had a $225 million global box office. Had a $97 million budget.

in order for F1 to break even, it will need to make close to $1 billion. Haha, I don’t see that happening. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah well they need to watch those budgets. That has happened many times this year; franchises that should have made money but didn't because their budgets were so high.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

$300 mil budget? Ouch. It might make $350 mil worldwide.

Never know. If the writing is awesome as I expect from Kosinski/Kruger (Top Gun Maverick) and Brad Pit fans show up, it could make $400+ million.

I predicted Top Gun Maverick would do well, like $500 mil, but I didn’t expected $1.5 billion either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Kevin Costner wrote this movie. He's had this idea and script since the 90's. He's been working on it on and off for the last 30 or more years.

I can't wait to see it! Waiting for 4k disc.

The reason it didn't do well at the box office is because Western's in general don't do well at the box office. It's not the like the days of old, like the 50's and 60's where Westerns were gigantic box office successes. Stats show that Westerns are just not a pull any longer. The movie released with ZERO premium screens, is rated R and has a runtime over 3 hours. Anybody that watches weekly box office (like myself) knew the movie was not going to pull big box office numbers. Especially in today's theater landscape, it was going to be hard to make $30-$40 million. But Costner knew this already and that's why he said he's playing the long ball with these movies. He wants them on digital and physical release. He wants this movie on cable TV. So he can reach as many people as possible to watch it. He'll easily make another $10-$20 million or more in digital and physical disc sales.

It's sad, because there are tons of westerns that were made in the last 25 years that are excellent films. Unfortunately, this generation needs Marvel and other simple storylines and big action CGI pieces to make them to go the theater.
Both Costner and Baird wrote the screenplay, so I guess they both suck. :D

They should have hired much better screenwriters.

Just wait until you see the movie. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
$300 mil budget? Ouch. It might make $350 mil worldwide.

Never know. If the writing is awesome as I expect from Kosinski/Kruger (Top Gun Maverick) and Brad Pit fans show up, it could make $400+ million.

I predicted Top Gun Maverick would do well, like $500 mil, but I didn’t expected $1.5 billion either.
So, Apple acquired the distribution rights, with WB doing the theatrical rights. Once it's done in theaters, it will be put on Apple TV+. Where it will sit for a long time.

Unfortunately, Brad Pitt is no longer the huge pull he once was back in the 90's and early 2000's.

2016- Allied- Box office $120 million
2019- Ad Astra- $135 million
2022- Bullet Train- $239 million

These are global box office numbers. Lets just say the Domestic box office alone are pathetic.

I really hope the movie does well. Just hate it when these budgets get blown up and then expectations have to be met. Then a movie that isn't making it's money at the theater gets rushed to digital and physical and then thrown on a streaming service and forgotten about real quick. :)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Both Costner and Baird wrote the screenplay, so I guess they both suck. :D

They should have hired much better screenwriters.

Just wait until you see the movie. :D
I can be pretty forgiving when it comes to a genre I really love. Westerns are one of my favorites. :)

The one thing that I disliked coming out of this entire situation with Costner was, that him and Sheridan couldn't finish 5 more episodes of Yellowstone. They couldn't put aside their differences and just finish it for the fans. Now we're going to get some stupid ending to season 5.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can be pretty forgiving when it comes to a genre I really love. Westerns are one of my favorites. :)

The one thing that I disliked coming out of this entire situation with Costner was, that him and Sheridan couldn't finish 5 more episodes of Yellowstone. They couldn't put aside their differences and just finish it for the fans. Now we're going to get some stupid ending to season 5.
Yeah, Costner probably asked Sheridan to write the screenplay for Horizon, but Sheridan didn’t do it. So Costner god mad. Haha. :D

Horizon would have been like another Yellowstone if Sheridan had written the screenplay. :D

Western is among my favorite genres - Westerns (Unforgiven), and Early Civilizations (Vikings, Aztecs, Native American, etc.), Fantasy/Sci-Fi (Underworld, Aliens, Predators, Edge of Tomorrow), and Action (Beekeeper, Wrath of Man, John Wick).

My favorite western is “Unforgiven”. Second is probably “Dances with Wolves”. 3rd is probably “Young Guns”.

So I wanted to love Horizon for 2 reasons - I like westerns and I like Costner a lot.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
From an article about the Yellowstone geyser explosion yesterday:

Tuesday’s explosion may be the biggest in the park since a 1989 blast at the Norris Geyser Basin’s Porkchop Geyser, or since Kevin Costner left the eponymous TV show to star in a gigantic bomb.
:D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Tomorrow....and I really dont go to the movies anymore.
To me, this is a huge event !
So far, early reviews are very positive. I hear you on that. I don't go to the theater as much, now that I have my own theater at home that sounds better and looks better than my local cinema. I only go for the bigger blockbusters. :D

Enjoy the movie! Let us know what your thoughts are after you see it! :)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
So far, early reviews are very positive. I hear you on that. I don't go to the theater as much, now that I have my own theater at home that sounds better and looks better than my local cinema. I only go for the bigger blockbusters. :D

Enjoy the movie! Let us know what your thoughts are after you see it! :)
Will do.
One of the best movie experiences of my life was Alien in 1979.
With no internet back then and very little press on such things, no one saw that movie coming !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis