4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like the killer as well, although it was I little bit of a slow burn for a while. The thing I really liked was the soundtrack. The music sounds were unusually, and despite upmixing the 5.1 track with DTSnx, there were sounds everywhere in my room, and it was very immersive. Very well done.
Hoping to find the soundtrack available now, but it isn't on Amazon Unlimited yet. It is Trent and Atticus I believe.

I LOVED the use of the Smiths too lol.

Also, it was hilarious all the old TV show aliases he used.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Watched saw x last night and the Dolby atmos mix was absolutely thrilling for the trap scenes! Absolutely brilliant and extremely immersive with sounds and dialog coming from all directions!

For some reason the dialog in the surrounds was louder than the center speaker. Could it be the sound mix design? Or something else like my center having 5.25 inch drivers rather than 6.5 inch for my fronts and surrounds? Last I checked my speakers were calibrated to 75dB on my spl meter.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Watched saw x last night and the Dolby atmos mix was absolutely thrilling for the trap scenes! Absolutely brilliant and extremely immersive with sounds and dialog coming from all directions!

For some reason the dialog in the surrounds was louder than the center speaker. Could it be the sound mix design? Or something else like my center having 5.25 inch drivers rather than 6.5 inch for my fronts and surrounds? Last I checked my speakers were calibrated to 75dB on my spl meter.
A lot of folks run their center a bit hot for this reason. There are a lot of mixes that don't have good dialog loudness in the center.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
I'm thinking it was likely the soundmix. Just watched Captain Marvel tonight and it was completely different. Enjoyed the film though!
Very little surround activity which is a surprise! It was front speakers heavy to the point the surrounds sounded quiet!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched Oppenheimer 4k last week.

PQ-Perfect 10/10
SQ-Perfect 10/10

Nothing more needs to be said. It's a demo worthy 4k disc.

The movie itself is brilliant and the 3 hour run time goes by quick. Everyone should pick up the 4k disc. Worthy addition to your movie collection. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Oppenheimer 4k last week.

PQ-Perfect 10/10
SQ-Perfect 10/10

Nothing more needs to be said. It's a demo worthy 4k disc.

The movie itself is brilliant and the 3 hour run time goes by quick. Everyone should pick up the 4k disc. Worthy addition to your movie collection. :D
PQ is excellent, but, but, it's only DTS-HD MA. It's NOT even Dolby ATMOS or DTS:X!!!!!

So NO WAY it gets a 10/10 for Audio without ATMOS/DTS:X!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
PQ is excellent, but, but, it's only DTS-HD MA. It's NOT even Dolby ATMOS or DTS:X!!!!!

So NO WAY it gets a 10/10 for Audio without ATMOS/DTS:X!
Don't let Chris Nolan hear about your idea that good sound needs to come from ceilings. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't let Chris Nolan hear about your idea that good sound needs to come from ceilings. :)
I don’t care for C-Nolan anymore. I prefer directors who EMBRACE new technology, not shy away.

Besides, I think his movies are getting worse. I thought Dark Knight, The Prestige, Interstellar, and Inception were awesome. But IMO it’s been downhill (but still good) ever since.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I don’t care for C-Nolan anymore. I prefer directors who EMBRACE new technology, not shy away.

Besides, I think his movies are getting worse. I thought Dark Knight, The Prestige, Interstellar, and Inception were awesome. But IMO it’s been downhill (but still good) ever since.
Wrong! :D

Christopher Nolan does embrace technology. He's keeping IMAX alive and well. The dream of Hollywood going with full 6k-8k cameras for every project is never going to happen. The cost is way too high and 80% of Hollywood directors love shooting on 35mm most of the time. As far as sound is concerned, Nolan's lossless 5.1's sound 10x better than the grand majority of fake ATMOS tracks out there. I'd say there is around 10% of movies that actually use ATMOS effects to their fullest potential. Everything else is just upscaled to include small background noise. Everything is static ATMOS. It seems like it's a rarity that we get an actual true dynamic ATMOS mix. Just consider all the ATMOUSE tracks Disney puts out. I would rather have the lossless 5.1 tracks than what Disney is putting out as "ATMOS".

My boy Nolan is crushing Hollywood right now. And I can't wait to see what he's going to make in the future. He's a "need to see it in theaters" type of Director. He's in-line with Cameron, Spielberg, Scorsese, Tarantino, PTA, etc...

We need less Marvel and DC garbage and more Nolan, Cameron, Spielberg, etc... Cinematic experiences! :cool::D

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General

Christopher Nolan does embrace technology. He's keeping IMAX alive and well. The dream of Hollywood going with full 6k-8k cameras for every project is never going to happen. The cost is way too high and 80% of Hollywood directors love shooting on 35mm most of the time. As far as sound is concerned, Nolan's lossless 5.1's sound 10x better than the grand majority of fake ATMOS tracks out there. I'd say there is around 10% of movies that actually use ATMOS effects to their fullest potential. Everything else is just upscaled to include small background noise. Everything is static ATMOS. It seems like it's a rarity that we get an actual true dynamic ATMOS mix. Just consider all the ATMOUSE tracks Disney puts out. I would rather have the lossless 5.1 tracks than what Disney is putting out as "ATMOS".

My boy Nolan is crushing Hollywood right now. And I can't wait to see what he's going to make in the future. He's a "need to see it in theaters" type of Director. He's in-line with Cameron, Spielberg, Scorsese, Tarantino, PTA, etc...

We need less Marvel and DC garbage and more Nolan, Cameron, Spielberg, etc... Cinematic experiences! :cool::D
Agreed...most of the Atmos I've heard borders on Audiophoolery (a favourite term here, for good reason).

I set up an Atmos system and just went back to 5.1...wasn't impressed because it didn't sound any better.
Different, but not better.
It can be done of course, but you can have a stellar soundtrack without bouncy ding-a-dongs coming from the ceiling.
Not fond of Atmos being 10b quieter than normal formats also.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

80% of Hollywood directors love shooting on 35mm most of the time:D
Really? 80% of directors shoot with 35mm ANALOG films?

Directors using Digital 4-8K cameras for their movies:
James Cameron
Martin Scorsese
Francis Ford Coppola
Ridley Scott
Peter Jackson
Joseph Kosinski
Christopher McQuerrie
Guillermo del Toro
Denis Villeneuve
David Fincher
Luc Besson
Tim Burton

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Really? 80% of directors shoot with 35mm ANALOG films?

Directors using Digital 4-8K cameras for their movies:
James Cameron
Martin Scorsese
Francis Ford Coppola
Ridley Scott
Peter Jackson
Joseph Kosinski
Christopher McQuerrie
Guillermo del Toro
Denis Villeneuve
David Fincher
Luc Besson
Tim Burton
Well, 35mm cameras are definitely updated vs the old school 30+ years ago. But actually, most of those directors still use 35mm cameras on their productions. Sure they might use current tech for some stuff, but they also still use "older" tech as well.

I should say "shot on film" vs all digital. I'm not camera person, so I don't know all the language associated with cameras, lens, etc... So I'll just say shot on film vs shot digitally.

Denis V. is an amazing director. He definitely shoots on digital, but then goes back in during post production and adds some grain to his picture to give a more "cinematic" look. Most recently he did that with Dune. I'm going to assume he will do it with Dune pt 2.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, 35mm cameras are definitely updated vs the old school 30+ years ago. But actually, most of those directors still use 35mm cameras on their productions. Sure they might use current tech for some stuff, but they also still use "older" tech as well.

I should say "shot on film" vs all digital. I'm not camera person, so I don't know all the language associated with cameras, lens, etc... So I'll just say shot on film vs shot digitally.

Denis V. is an amazing director. He definitely shoots on digital, but then goes back in during post production and adds some grain to his picture to give a more "cinematic" look. Most recently he did that with Dune. I'm going to assume he will do it with Dune pt 2.
Fact is, Digital is the future.

Even Nolan's Analog films like Oppenheimer goes to 4K Digital Masters once they finish editing.

Whether they shoot in Digital or Analog, the FINAL MASTER is going to be DIGITAL.

So in the end, it doesn't really matter. The PQ from brand new Analog films transferred to 4K Digital Masters look great.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Fact is, Digital is the future.

Even Nolan's Analog films like Oppenheimer goes to 4K Digital Masters once they finish editing.

Whether they shoot in Digital or Analog, the FINAL MASTER is going to be DIGITAL.

So in the end, it doesn't really matter. The PQ from brand new Analog films transferred to 4K Digital Masters look great.
Oh, no doubt. Digital is the way.

No matter which way they go, it almost always ends up a 4k master. If they shoot in 6-8k, it gets scaled down to 4k. They shoot in anything under 4k, it's gets upscaled to 4k. My only issue with 6-8k movies is that when they put in digital effects, they look like trash because digital shots are nowhere near that same quality. And it really shows during the movie. I hate watching movies where you know they used high rate cameras but the graphics suck. Waste of money if you ask me. Might as well used 4k or lower so the graphics blend better.

Old movies shot on film upscaled to 4k (done right) look amazing. Some of the best looking 4k's on the market were originally shot on film upscaled to 4k. One of the best looking transfers is a movie called Django from 1966. Western movie. Arrow video did the 4k remaster. WOW! the picture on that 4k is outstanding. If you haven't seen it, I would suggest watching it sometime. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, no doubt. Digital is the way.

No matter which way they go, it almost always ends up a 4k master. If they shoot in 6-8k, it gets scaled down to 4k. They shoot in anything under 4k, it's gets upscaled to 4k. My only issue with 6-8k movies is that when they put in digital effects, they look like trash because digital shots are nowhere near that same quality. And it really shows during the movie. I hate watching movies where you know they used high rate cameras but the graphics suck. Waste of money if you ask me. Might as well used 4k or lower so the graphics blend better.

Old movies shot on film upscaled to 4k (done right) look amazing. Some of the best looking 4k's on the market were originally shot on film upscaled to 4k. One of the best looking transfers is a movie called Django from 1966. Western movie. Arrow video did the 4k remaster. WOW! the picture on that 4k is outstanding. If you haven't seen it, I would suggest watching it sometime. :D
Depends on whether you want to see a bunch of GRAIN on screen, especially if you have a 150"+ Screen and use a 6,000-Lumen PJ.

Different story when you have a 100" screen with 1800-Lumen. When the PQ is dimmer, you will not notice as much video grain and artifacts.

On an 80" TV, I bet it still looks great.

So BIG Screens and HIGH-Lumens can be both good and bad = great if the video has no grains/artifacts, but bad if the video has grains/artifacts.

I guess I could turn the Laser power down to 2000-lumens and then I won't notice the grains as much. But I won't do that.

And that's why I don't like video grains.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay think I'm starting to understand this a little let's use The Walking Dead as an example. They shot the whole series in low resolution, people were starting to complain about the grainy effect. Be it watching it as aired on AMC or streaming. TV, or Projection screens home.

When confronted about the grainy effect in all the episodes producer stated was to give the series a more realism affect in a post apocalypse world. I say it was to keep cost down. I have the whole 11 seasons on DVD. As of to date no Blu-ray disk are out not that I know of wouldn't make sense to transfer to Blu Ray I guess
Well I think 35 mm Analog is actually equivalent to 4K resolution. As long as the analog film is pristine quality, when they transfer 35 mm analog film to 4K Digital master, it usually still looks awesome.

So when I was watching The Walking Dead in 1080p, it still looked great.

I think 70mm analog films are equivalent to 8K+ resolution. But again, as long as the analog film is pristine, especially brand new movie, the 4K Digital Master will look awesome like in the case of Oppenheimer.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I think 2024 is going to be a good year for 4k disc movies. Even though Best Buy is leaving the movie world (stupid), I believe most studios are going to start digging deep into their movie vaults and get some great movies released on physical/digital in 4k format.

One such studio is going to be Disney. I believe Disney is going to (finally) start diving into their Fox library. They are also scaling back (supposedly) on all the garbage they've been releasing these last few years and going to rethink their strategy, but in the mean time they're going to start working on more 4k titles.

I really wish Netflix would start putting more of their shows and movies on 4k discs. What an easy way for them to make more money. Since most of their movies nowadays are shot in 4k and a good majority have Atmos, it would be an easy transfer to disc. Easy millions if you ask me.

Apple is now getting into the movie space. They financed both Killers of the Flower moon and Napoleon. But they're using an actual Movie studio for distribution. We know those movies will be available for purchase in the next month or two. I see Apple financing more movies and I think they're on board with making sure those movies are available on both digital and 4k disc. At least I hope that's the case. haha :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw “Killers of the Flower Moon” in 4K/ATMOS.

PQ. Shot mainly in 35mm analog camera (some digital scenes shot w/ Sony Venice 6K Digital), mastered in 4K Digital. PQ looks great. So again, doesn’t really matter if they shot in analog or digital, as long as they used a real high-end cinema camera, not a $4K home video camera like they used in “The Creator”, the movies will be mastered in 4K Digital and will look awesome forever.

SQ. Pure drama movie with really no overhead effects. Has some good bass music. Overall good SQ, but nothing special.

Movie. The setting is in Oklahoma. It was filmed mainly in Fairfax, OK which is 2 hours from Oklahoma City. So I definitely had to watch it. I think I even saw my cow in the movie. :D Haha. I think it’s a good “Academy Awards” movie. Probably will win 10+ Oscars like best picture and best Actor and all that. This movie features 3 Academy Award Best Actors - Robert De Nero, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Brendan Fraser. So a powerhouse performance for sure. But I likely won’t be watching it again since it’s depressing as hell. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis