4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So this person that I follow who has the inside track into every major physical disc release, who also gets to attend some awesome movie showings, was able to be at the James Cameron Abyss and I guess Aliens 4k presentations. He came away saying that The Abyss is not going to make everybody happy.

he points out

1. New color timing/Grade- it's not bad or good just meh
2. Completely scrubbed all grain (not T2 bad but C'mon!)
3. VFX doesn't hold up

Those are things he said as of now.
If they got rid of all the grains, then I'm all good because I hate grain. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw The Equalizer 3. Local theater has pathetic ATMOS sound as usual, so will have to watch it again on 4K BD ATMOS.

This movie was shot with the Arri Alexa 4K digital camera, so PQ is great as expected.

I love the story; not as intense and involved as the first movie. Plot is simple. But I like it a lot. Definitely will watch this movie again - on 4K BD ATMOS. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I saw The Equalizer 3. Local theater has pathetic ATMOS sound as usual, so will have to watch it again on 4K BD ATMOS.

This movie was shot with the Arri Alexa 4K digital camera, so PQ is great as expected.

I love the story; not as intense and involved as the first movie. Plot is simple. But I like it a lot. Definitely will watch this movie again - on 4K BD ATMOS. :D
I will wait for Equalizer 3 to hit streaming. They're fun movies. Turn your brain off and enjoy Denzel kicking some ass. :cool: :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Started my Halloween horror movie marathon on Monday. Will try to watch one horror movie a night and Friday-Sunday I will try to get 4 or more in at some point. Saturdays will be tricky. College football is my life all day/night. :D

So far I've watched:

1. Nothing but Trouble
2. Little Monsters

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched The Creator in LA over the weekend. Excellent visuals and great audio. The story however, feels like it could have had more going for it. It wasn't bad, I liked it, but I think they could have done more with it.

I have had the Halloween movies going for a little while already lol:
Evil Dead Rise = excellent reboot/refresh. I really liked it. Holds true to the series IMO.
The Pope's Exorcist - better than I expected, worth a watch.
No One Will Save You - a little quirky, but pretty good. There are only 2 sentences of dialog in the whole film.

Not sure what is up next.

If they got rid of all the grains, then I'm all good because I hate grain. :D
Getting rid of grain usually means getting rid of detail too.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched The Creator in LA over the weekend. Excellent visuals and great audio. The story however, feels like it could have had more going for it. It wasn't bad, I liked it, but I think they could have done more with it.

I have had the Halloween movies going for a little while already lol:
Evil Dead Rise = excellent reboot/refresh. I really liked it. Holds true to the series IMO.
The Pope's Exorcist - better than I expected, worth a watch.
No One Will Save You - a little quirky, but pretty good. There are only 2 sentences of dialog in the whole film.

Not sure what is up next.

Getting rid of grain usually means getting rid of detail too.
I watched Evil Dead rise a couple months ago. Was pretty good. I still have to watch the 2013 Evil dead. That's in my collection of movies to watch this month. I still watch the the original Evil Dead 1 and 2 every Oct. those are my favorite. Along with Army of Darkness.

I like to include old classics. I have the Universal Monster classics Vol. 2 coming up soon. Looking forward to that. I'd like to hit about 40 movies this month If I can. I was somewhere in the 30's last year. Depends if I can get double feature night on the weekends. So fun to watch horror movies! :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I watched part of Prey 4K last night. The Atmos seems noticeably better than streamed, unsurprisingly.

I watched Evil Dead rise a couple months ago. Was pretty good. I still have to watch the 2013 Evil dead. That's in my collection of movies to watch this month. I still watch the the original Evil Dead 1 and 2 every Oct. those are my favorite. Along with Army of Darkness.

I like to include old classics. I have the Universal Monster classics Vol. 2 coming up soon. Looking forward to that. I'd like to hit about 40 movies this month If I can. I was somewhere in the 30's last year. Depends if I can get double feature night on the weekends. So fun to watch horror movies! :D
Wasn't a fan of the 2013 Evil Dead. Army of Darkness is the best one lol. The series was garbage though. Bruce Campbell makes a minor, unexpected cameo in Evil Dead Rise.

My perennials would be The Shining, Poltergeist, Bram Stoker's Dracula, American Werewolf in London, throw in some classics, etc... There have been some decent new ones lately too: The Black Phone, Nope, Us, Talk to Me, Train to Busan,

Talk to Me is an instant classic for me, however the Aussie dialogue is a bit hard to follow lol.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I watched part of Prey 4K last night. The Atmos seems noticeably better than streamed, unsurprisingly.

Wasn't a fan of the 2013 Evil Dead. Army of Darkness is the best one lol. The series was garbage though. Bruce Campbell makes a minor, unexpected cameo in Evil Dead Rise.

My perennials would be The Shining, Poltergeist, Bram Stoker's Dracula, American Werewolf in London, throw in some classics, etc... There have been some decent new ones lately too: The Black Phone, Nope, Us, Talk to Me, Train to Busan,

Talk to Me is an instant classic for me, however the Aussie dialogue is a bit hard to follow lol.
I received my 4k copy of Prey this week. So that is added to my list. Did not watch the streaming version. Figured it would eventually hit physical disc.

I watched The Haunting on 4k last night. Haven't seen it since maybe 2002.... Even though it was only a 5.1 mix the surround speakers were pretty active. I didn't have it turned up very loud, but the bass was very good. If you haven't seen it, I would easily recommend it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I received my 4k copy of Prey this week. So that is added to my list. Did not watch the streaming version. Figured it would eventually hit physical disc.

I watched The Haunting on 4k last night. Haven't seen it since maybe 2002.... Even though it was only a 5.1 mix the surround speakers were pretty active. I didn't have it turned up very loud, but the bass was very good. If you haven't seen it, I would easily recommend it.
You have the DTS version? It was the very first 7.1 mixed movie to hit theaters, though the disc is still 5.1. I originally bought the Dolby version then found out about the DTS. When one local laser disc/DVD store was closing, I snagged their copy of the DTS one for a few bucks. I have owned that one for a long time :)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
You have the DTS version? It was the very first 7.1 mixed movie to hit theaters, though the disc is still 5.1. I originally bought the Dolby version then found out about the DTS. When one local laser disc/DVD store was closing, I snagged their copy of the DTS one for a few bucks. I have owned that one for a long time :)

Yep, DTS Master 5.1 mix. Shout put this movie on a 100gig disc. Uses up about 75gigs. I thought they did a great job with the 4k upgrades. Worth the purchase price.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, DTS Master 5.1 mix. Shout put this movie on a 100gig disc. Uses up about 75gigs. I thought they did a great job with the 4k upgrades. Worth the purchase price.
I didn't know they released it in 4K. Just ordered :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Lost Boys - the 4k is quite good.
American Psycho
The Thing (82, 4K is improved but not earthshattering)
Nightmare Before Christmas
The Grudge / Ju-On(Japanese one is better, but US one is OK)
The Ring / Ringu (Japanese one is better)
The Babadook
The Orphanage
Pan's Labyrinth
Creepshow (all of them)
Dusk til Dawn
Fright Night (85, I haven't bought the 4k yet, review says it is good)
It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!
Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Reanimator

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Lost Boys - the 4k is quite good.
American Psycho
The Thing (82, 4K is improved but not earthshattering)
Nightmare Before Christmas
The Grudge / Ju-On(Japanese one is better, but US one is OK)
The Ring / Ringu (Japanese one is better)
The Babadook
The Orphanage
Pan's Labyrinth
Creepshow (all of them)
Dusk til Dawn
Fright Night (85, I haven't bought the 4k yet, review says it is good)
It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!
Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Reanimator
Watched Lost boys and Fright Night 4k's last year. For two 80's horror movies I thought they did a great job with the 4k restorations.

I have The Thing 4k in my current lineup. Have 4k version of Nightmare before Christmas. Have never seen The Grudge. The Ring (collection) is coming to 4k in Dec. So will definitely be picking that up. I saw Pans Labyrinth a very long time ago. Good movie, need to get it on 4k one of these days. Of course the classic Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is a must watch every year. I do have that on 4k as well. Dawn of Dead 4k is in my current lineup.

The Monster Squad is coming to 4k next month. That will be in my collection. I just ordered Pumpkinhead on 4k. I have never seen that. That should be good.

I'm really looking forward to watching Terrifier 2. I really liked the first one. If you haven't seen that one yet, I would suggest adding it to the list. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have Pans Labyrinth in 4K. I need to rewatch it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw “Prey 2022 and “M3GAN 2022” in 4K ATMOS BluRay.

I have seen the 4K ATMOS streaming for both.

Prey 2022. Shot w/ Arri Alexa 4K digital. PQ is excellent. ATMOS SQ is excellent. Some really nice overhead sounds. The BluRay probably has better ATMOS and PQ, but the streaming was already excellent.

M3GAN. Also shot w/ Arri Alexa 4K digital. PQ is excellent. Very colorful and very bright. ATMOS is good, but definitely not Reference quality for ATMOS - hardly any overhead effects on both the streaming and BluRay versions.

I enjoy both movies and happy to have them in my 4K ATMOS BluRay movie collection.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw MI Dead Reckoning Part 1 4K ATMOS Streaming.

Movie was shot using Ari Alexa 4K Digital, so again PQ is excellent. Hopefully the BluRay version will have better ATMOS sound because the streaming version didn’t have reference quality. SQ is still good. But not as good as MI Fallout.

Since this is only “half” of the whole movie, I will wait until part 2 for my final assessment. But so far I don’t think part 1 is as good as MI Fallout. Just doesn’t feel to me like the “chemistry” is there among the characters. Also feels “forced” or “rushed” with the character development for the new characters.

Up next is Netflix’s “Ballerina 2023” 4K Streaming. :D

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Dead Reckoning in the theater on $4 movie day. The Atmos was great in theater. PQ was excellent. I did like it and find it a solid action flick, but I agree, not the best of the series. The train felt like a nice callback to the first one, but a lot of things throughout the whole film felt like the same old stuff. They introduced new characters that it feels like they want you to be interested in, only for them to not have as big of a role as it would seem, especially in one case where the character had almost no lines. The second half will need to improve on it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis