4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
He's probably another director that does well only if the writing is good. And I think the writing for "Malignant 2021" is very good. :D
The Conjuring is by far his greatest horror movie. That movie legit scary. Surround speakers are key to making that movie make the hairs stand straight up. :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Conjuring is by far his greatest horror movie. That movie legit scary. Surround speakers are key to making that movie make the hairs stand straight up. :p
The Conjuring 2 was also good; I actually felt it was scarier than 1, but 1 was a better film overall. The freakiest part being that they are both based on actual incidents. They have the real recordings playing during the end credits of 2 - crazy. Plus 2 also has some awesome Atmos. Conjuring 3 was not Wan, but wasn't bad. Not as good as the other two. I am currently watching The Nun and Nun 2 (same director as Conjuring 3). Fell asleep watching the first one so maybe it isn't so great lol.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The Conjuring 2 was also good; I actually felt it was scarier than 1, but 1 was a better film overall. The freakiest part being that they are both based on actual incidents. They have the real recordings playing during the end credits of 2 - crazy. Plus 2 also has some awesome Atmos. Conjuring 3 was not Wan, but wasn't bad. Not as good as the other two. I am currently watching The Nun and Nun 2 (same director as Conjuring 3). Fell asleep watching the first one so maybe it isn't so great lol.
Oh yeah, Conjuring 2 was pretty good. I felt the first half was really good (scare wise) but then it kind of dropped off in the final half. For me at least.

I thought Conjuring 3 was meh. Nothing like the previous 2.

Haven't seen any of the Nun movies. I watched the first Anabelle movie and thought it was dumb.

I have the original Exorcist and Rosemary's baby I have to get to very soon. Both 4k editions. Looking forward to see how good the Exorcist looks. Haven't seen it since early 2000's. I've never seen Rosemary's baby. So a first for me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Conjuring 3 wasn't like the others because it wasn't Wan. They tried to tie it in, but it felt totally separate. Finished the Nun, it was not as bad as the reviews seem to indicate, but it was pretty average. Anabelle, never watched them.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Conjuring 3 wasn't like the others because it wasn't Wan. They tried to tie it in, but it felt totally separate. Finished the Nun, it was not as bad as the reviews seem to indicate, but it was pretty average. Anabelle, never watched them.
I've seen the first Anabelle, and it was a fine horror movie. Nothing special, but it's worth a watch.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, I also liked X and Pearl. They're maybe a bit over the top violent, but they're fun.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw “The Killer”, directed by David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club, Gone Girl) & Andrew Walker (Se7en, 8MM).

Video: Captured on the RED V-Raptor 8K digital camera, so PQ is superb.

Sound: Very good sound quality. I saw it in DDP5.1, so don’t know how it will sound in ATMOS. But it’s not really an “ATMOS” type of movie anyway. But still very good SQ.

I think if you love the previous works of director David Fincher or writer Andrew Walker, you will also like The Kiler. It’s all business serious and dark. Just good writing and directing IMO. For a movie about assassins, I like it.

Will definitely add “The Killer” to my movie collection when it comes out in 4K ATMOS BD.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Just saw “The Killer”, directed by David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club, Gone Girl) & Andrew Walker (Se7en, 8MM).

Video: Captured on the RED V-Raptor 8K digital camera, so PQ is superb.

Sound: Very good sound quality. I saw it in DDP5.1, so don’t know how it will sound in ATMOS. But it’s not really an “ATMOS” type of movie anyway. But still very good SQ.

I think if you love the previous works of director David Fincher or writer Andrew Walker, you will also like The Kiler. It’s all business serious and dark. Just good writing and directing IMO. For a movie about assassins, I like it.

Will definitely add “The Killer” to my movie collection when it comes out in 4K ATMOS BD.
I watched The Killer as well. I'm giving it a solid 8/10. I love David Fincher. He's such a great director and has made many great films. Just wish more studios would give him more control over his movies. I think that's why he went to Netflix instead of working with other studios.

Looks like they shot with a 5.1 mix. I don't think it's going to be released with Atmos. Supposedly more Fincher movies are coming to 4k in the future. I don't foresee many of his movies getting the Atmos treatment. The only one I could see getting it would be Fight Club. Maybe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and possibly Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Otherwise, most of his movies would sound great with solid 5.1 mix. Like Nolans movies. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I also watched The Killer because I am a fan of Fincher. I liked it, though I kind of felt the ending was a little unfulfilled, even though he did what he needed to do. I understand the purpose of that last scene, but it was almost too subtle; aka spinning top from Inception. Overall, a good film. His character reminded me a lot of his robot character in Prometheus / Alien Covenant.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw The Creator streaming in 4K ATMOS.

PQ. 99% of the TV series and movies I watch on STREAMING look much better than this movie. For example, I just saw The Killer on streaming and it looks 100% better than The Creator. After watching The Creator, I saw an episode of The Gilded Age on streaming, and it looks 100% better. WTF were these idiots thinking using a $4K Sony FX3 camera from Amazon to shoot a movie that supposedly had a $80 million budget. This movie looks like it had a $100K budget. Again, most of the TV series I watch look 100% better than this movie.

SQ. About the only time I hear overhead effects were the intercoms overhead. Besides that, I don’t recall much else from overhead. The bass is very solid, but for a SciFi movie with ships flying and explosions overhead, it is disappointing.

Story. It’s okay. I give it a 6/10 rating. Nothing special. There are much better AI movies out there.

So overall I was very disappointed in this movie that was shot using a $3900 home video camera from Amazon. :D

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

PQ. 99% of the TV series I watch look much better than this movie. WTF were these idiots thinking using a $4K Sony FX3 camera from Amazon to shoot a movie that supposedly had a $80 million budget. This movie looks like it had a $100K budget. Again, most of the TV series I watch look 100% better than this movie.

SQ. About the only time I hear overhead effects were the intercoms overhead. Besides that, I don’t recall much else from overhead. The bass is very solid, but for a SciFi movie with ships flying and explosions overhead, it is disappointing.

Story. It’s okay. I give it a 6/10 rating. Nothing special. There are much better AI movies out there.

So overall I was very disappointed in this movie that was shot using a $3900 home video camera from Amazon. :D
That's disappointing to hear. I've heard the movie is solid until the end. I don't know much about this movie. I'm trying to go in as blind as possible. I hope my experience on physical disc will be a lot better than the streaming version you checked out. I'm guessing it will, since streaming is still not on the same level as disc. I will report back once I watch the movie. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's disappointing to hear. I've heard the movie is solid until the end. I don't know much about this movie. I'm trying to go in as blind as possible. I hope my experience on physical disc will be a lot better than the streaming version you checked out. I'm guessing it will, since streaming is still not on the same level as disc. I will report back once I watch the movie. :D
I was comparing The Creator with other streaming movies and TV series, not physical discs.

Maybe if my picture wasn’t as BRIGHT and maybe on a smaller screen, it might be more forgiving. But man, it was BRUTAL. There was grain on every scene. And picture didn’t look as clear/clean.

But come on. How can they even expect a cheap $4K Consumer Sony FX3 (+ cost of lens) from Best Buy to even compete with the $60-80K 4-8K Digital IMAX cameras from Sony Venice, ARRI, RED, Panavision?

The sad part is that they seemed very pleased with themselves about using a cheap a$$ 4K consumer camera, instead of a high quality movie camera. Just sad.

Of course, Oppenheimer (70 mm Panavision Analog IMAX —> 4K Digital Master) looks 100 times better than The Creator. :D

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I was comparing The Creator with other streaming movies and TV series, not physical discs.

Maybe if my picture wasn’t as BRIGHT and maybe on a smaller screen, it might be more forgiving. But man, it was BRUTAL. There was grain on every scene. And picture didn’t look as clear/clean.

But come on. How can they even expect a cheap $4K Consumer Sony FX3 (+ cost of lens) from Best Buy to even compete with the $60-80K 4-8K Digital IMAX cameras from Sony Venice, ARRI, RED, Panavision?
That is an odd choice to use such a cheap camera. Don't they just rent that equipment when making a movie?

I saw the trailer for The Abyss 4k coming to theaters for 1 day in Dec. Wow, they scrubbed the entire movie of grain. heavy, heavy DNR. Though, I'm going to look past this one because I want to own it on 4k Disc so bad. Same with True Lies.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is an odd choice to use such a cheap camera. Don't they just rent that equipment when making a movie?

I saw the trailer for The Abyss 4k coming to theaters for 1 day in Dec. Wow, they scrubbed the entire movie of grain. heavy, heavy DNR. Though, I'm going to look past this one because I want to own it on 4k Disc so bad. Same with True Lies.
Looking forward to see what they did with Abyss and True Lies.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

PQ. 99% of the TV series and movies I watch on STREAMING look much better than this movie. For example, I just saw The Killer on streaming and it looks 100% better than The Creator. After watching The Creator, I saw an episode of The Gilded Age on streaming, and it looks 100% better. WTF were these idiots thinking using a $4K Sony FX3 camera from Amazon to shoot a movie that supposedly had a $80 million budget. This movie looks like it had a $100K budget. Again, most of the TV series I watch look 100% better than this movie.

I liked it for the most part, but it feels like it's all over the place. The story is just not fully developed it feels like. It didn't really go anywhere and there was a lot that could have been done with it.

I am jazzed to see Godzilla Minus One

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I liked it for the most part, but it feels like it's all over the place. The story is just not fully developed it feels like. It didn't really go anywhere and there was a lot that could have been done with it.

I am jazzed to see Godzilla Minus One
Yeah it felt very inconsistent or incomplete. Like they put the pieces of the puzzle on the table and couldn’t put them together. Maybe they rushed to get it done.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looking forward to see what they did with Abyss and True Lies.
Aliens :D I have been waiting for them to give that a 4K refresh for a LONG time. Abyss I will most likely buy too. Instead of wasting time on Avatar 2, he could have worked on really great remasters of those two. True Lies I like, but not sure I need to own it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Aliens :D I have been waiting for them to give that a 4K refresh for a LONG time. Abyss I will most likely buy too. Instead of wasting time on Avatar 2, he could have worked on really great remasters of those two. True Lies I like, but not sure I need to own it.
Hells yeah. Aliens 4K.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hells yeah. Aliens 4K.
Here are some updates.
BREAKING ON THE BITS – It’s official: THE ABYSS, TRUE LIES & ALIENS are coming to 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray on 3/12/24! Plus new #4K Collector’s Editions of AVATAR & AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER on 12/19/23! Full details here

1. Both versions of The Abyss will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
2. Both versions of Aliens will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
3. ALL THREE VERSIONS of Avatar will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
4. The Blu-ray versions of The Abyss and True Lies are mastered from the new 4K scans.
5. The Blu-ray versions may eventually be available separately, but for now they’re exclusive to these 4K UHD + Blu-ray Combos.
6. All 4K presentations will include Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos audio on 100 GB discs.
7. All titles except Aliens will include new special features.
8. All titles will include the legacy special features.
9. The Aliens Blu-ray is mastered from the new 4K scan as well.
10. True Lies is rated R, not PG-13 as indicated in the press release. (This was an error on the release.)

Per The Digital Bits.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I also watched The Killer because I am a fan of Fincher. I liked it, though I kind of felt the ending was a little unfulfilled, even though he did what he needed to do. I understand the purpose of that last scene, but it was almost too subtle; aka spinning top from Inception. Overall, a good film. His character reminded me a lot of his robot character in Prometheus / Alien Covenant.
I like the killer as well, although it was I little bit of a slow burn for a while. The thing I really liked was the soundtrack. The music sounds were unusually, and despite upmixing the 5.1 track with DTSnx, there were sounds everywhere in my room, and it was very immersive. Very well done.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis