4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it's official. The Abyss is coming to 4k. Will be out in the coming months. That is some great 4k news!

If you're fan of Titanic, that is coming out on 4k this Dec. That should look really good on 4k and hopefully have a great Atmos track.
Fingers crossed that The Abyss 35 mm to 4K transfer will look great. I saw the Titanic 4K on streaming and it does look great.

Still waiting for 4K on TRON Legacy and Kingdom of Heaven. Those bastards making us wait. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Fingers crossed that The Abyss 35 mm to 4K transfer will look great. I saw the Titanic 4K on streaming and it does look great.

Still waiting for 4K on TRON Legacy and Kingdom of Heaven. Those bastards making us wait. :D
Tron: Ares is slated for 25, so presumably some time leading up to that we could finally see a remaster of Legacy. IF Ares even happens, since they haven't even started filming.

I really enjoyed Abyss, I will pick up the 4K when it releases.

PREY 4K releases Oct 3 :) I might have to pick that one up too. *Edit - I just preordered it.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

I think Tron 4k will be coming. Disney looks to be taking a giant leap forward with physical media. They are actually releasing Disney+ shows on physical media now. Never thought that would happen! I also saw in some online article that they are going to invest more in physical media. The numbers for physical disc sales continue to meet and exceed expectations for studios. Since Disney has a very large movie/show library plus the entire Fox movie library, they can make hundreds of millions off of physical. They have a vault full of content that needs to be opened and released! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Tron: Ares is slated for 25, so presumably some time leading up to that we could finally see a remaster of Legacy. IF Ares even happens, since they haven't even started filming.
Oh good. I'm just surprised they didn't hire Joseph Kosinski (TRON Legacy, Top Gun Maverick), especially since Kosinski originally wanted to do Ares.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Oh good. I'm just surprised they didn't hire Joseph Kosinski (TRON Legacy, Top Gun Maverick), especially since Kosinski originally wanted to do Ares.
Don't think Kosinski had any availability to make the next Tron. He's currently making a movie titled "Chariot". Action, sci-fi, thriller. It's currently in development. The director they got instead Joachim Ronning did Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead men tell no tales and Maleficent: mistress of Evil. Some smaller movies as well. I'm guessing his budget will be somewhere in the ball park of $100-$150 million.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't think Kosinski had any availability to make the next Tron. He's currently making a movie titled "Chariot". Action, sci-fi, thriller. It's currently in development. The director they got instead Joachim Ronning did Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead men tell no tales and Maleficent: mistress of Evil. Some smaller movies as well. I'm guessing his budget will be somewhere in the ball park of $100-$150 million.
Yeah I don’t like this Ronning guy’s credentials/resume. :D

Typical Disney move- make money fast and not wait for Kosinski who really wanted to do Ares. I think he even wrote a script for Ares after Legacy.

Kosinski is awesome.

In other news, I heard “Sicario 3” is in production (written by Taylor Sheridan, my favorite writer). I will watch anything that Taylor Sheridan writes/directs).

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I think Tron 4k will be coming. Disney looks to be taking a giant leap forward with physical media. They are actually releasing Disney+ shows on physical media now. Never thought that would happen! I also saw in some online article that they are going to invest more in physical media. The numbers for physical disc sales continue to meet and exceed expectations for studios. Since Disney has a very large movie/show library plus the entire Fox movie library, they can make hundreds of millions off of physical. They have a vault full of content that needs to be opened and released! :D
With a new mastering of the soundtrack intended for a typical soundbar.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
With a new mastering of the soundtrack intended for a typical soundbar.
TRON Legacy already has an awesome DTS-HD MA soundtrack. So even if they didn’t change the ST, it would still be awesome. But you’re thinking leave it to Disney to screw it up?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
TRON Legacy already has an awesome DTS-HD MA soundtrack. So even if they didn’t change the ST, it would still be awesome. But you’re thinking leave it to Disney to screw it up?
That soundtrack is indeed great but I’m skeptical that Disney will improve it, quite the opposite.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yeah I don’t like this Ronning guy’s credentials/resume. :D

Typical Disney move- make money fast and not wait for Kosinski who really wanted to do Ares. I think he even wrote a script for Ares after Legacy.

Kosinski is awesome.

In other news, I heard “Sicario 3” is in production (written by Taylor Sheridan, my favorite writer). I will watch anything that Taylor Sheridan writes/directs).
I do like Kosinski. He is turning out to be a very good director.

I saw the news on Sicario 3. Been waiting for some good news for a while. I know Sheridan wrote 1&2 but didn't hear if he was officially attached to the 3rd one. That would be great if he was writing it. I also wouldn't mind if they brought back the guy who did #2 to direct the 3rd one. Obviously we will not be getting Denis V.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That soundtrack is indeed great but I’m skeptical that Disney will improve it, quite the opposite.
True. Just hope Disney will be lazy with the ST and keep it exactly the way it is. :D

Just transfer the movie that was shot with the digital cameras to 4K and call it a day. :D

They don’t have to do much since the original master is already digital.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
From the reviews of Loki season 1 on 4k. So far, everybody has been saying the sound quality is really good. They have all been blown away that this is coming from Disney. Maybe, and I mean that in the smallest sense, maybe Disney is finally listening to all the complaints about their sound quality. hahaha :D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
From the reviews of Loki season 1 on 4k. So far, everybody has been saying the sound quality is really good. They have all been blown away that this is coming from Disney. Maybe, and I mean that in the smallest sense, maybe Disney is finally listening to all the complaints about their sound quality. hahaha :D
Nice to hear some good news, even if it’s built on the foundation of low expectancy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do like Kosinski. He is turning out to be a very good director.

I saw the news on Sicario 3. Been waiting for some good news for a while. I know Sheridan wrote 1&2 but didn't hear if he was officially attached to the 3rd one. That would be great if he was writing it. I also wouldn't mind if they brought back the guy who did #2 to direct the 3rd one. Obviously we will not be getting Denis V.
I haven’t heard about the director for “Sicario Capos”, but I read that Taylor Sheridan already wrote the screenplay for it. All they need to do is have one of Sheridan’s directors from one of his TV series direct. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I heard they demoted Kathleen Kennedy, so might have fired bunch of screwups too. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I heard they demoted Kathleen Kennedy, so might have fired bunch of screwups too. :D
Good! She should've been fired years ago. But her contract is up after this year or next. So they just won't extend her. Maybe she'll quietly leave. Hahaha.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I want to see it as well! Probably won't make it to theaters, but will be purchasing it on physical once it drops.
I'll see "The Creator" on streaming first, then UHD-BD.

But just thinking how can they make it look awesome if they used a Sony FX3 camera? When I Googled the FX3, it's like $4K! :D

No way they used a $4K camera to shoot this movie. Must be a different FX3.

When I Googled the Lenses used (Kowa Cine Prominar), I get anywhere from $180K to $1K. So there must be different versions for professional vs consumers. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
So this person that I follow who has the inside track into every major physical disc release, who also gets to attend some awesome movie showings, was able to be at the James Cameron Abyss and I guess Aliens 4k presentations. He came away saying that The Abyss is not going to make everybody happy.

he points out

1. New color timing/Grade- it's not bad or good just meh
2. Completely scrubbed all grain (not T2 bad but C'mon!)
3. VFX doesn't hold up

Those are things he said as of now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis