Speakers meant to be on a Bookshelf

A

arenoso

Audiophyte
Searching for speakers that actually sound decent on a bookshelf; a speaker that performs without space behind or around it... I have some Harbeth LS3-5A but they lose it in this setting. Amp now is a modest Rotel A11 Tribute which does quite well for what I enjoy, depth, imaging and detailed neutrality. Anybody have experience they can share? Cheers!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Searching for speakers that actually sound decent on a bookshelf; a speaker that performs without space behind or around it... I have some Harbeth LS3-5A but they lose it in this setting. Amp now is a modest Rotel A11 Tribute which does quite well for what I enjoy, depth, imaging and detailed neutrality. Anybody have experience they can share? Cheers!
You have confirmed a truism, that bookshelf speakers can not be used on a bookshelf.

It actually means they need to be on stands and so you might as well have towers.

The reason is that bookshelves correct for the half space full space divide at the transition frequency. This makes them not sound right when packed in a shelf space.

If you want a speaker to sound properly balanced in that setting, you will have to design it yourself and build it.

A

arenoso

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply; I attest to your conclusion wholeheartedly as my main speakers are slim towers and sound awesome in this setting. Was wondering if there was anything that could work at all decently.. small speakers that fit in the bookshelf (30cm height) that could do well for watching movies/tv. and still do ok as background music, perhaps with front firing port…

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Best I've had from using bookshelves for speaker placement is on top of the whole thing :) Mostly I just use stands.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I used to store my small speakers on the bookshelf when not in use, and bring them out to wherever when needed. I really don't understand the modern aversions to the minor inconveniences of stowing and reinstalling what amounts to portable speakers and gear. A foreman I had at one of my first jobs had a pair of LS3/5a speakers he travelled the world with, and used to keep them on top of his fridge when not in use because he lived in an efficiency apt. The Luxman receiver was stored under his coffee table. We would go over for beers after work and he would just set the thing up on the coffee table in under 2 mins.

When I was a boy, I had a portable suitcase Victrola that stashed in my bedroom closet. I used to set it up and listen to it on the floor with a duffle full of 45s and listen for hours.

These days, I have 5 pairs of bookshelf sized speakers that could be instead called, "closet shelf speakers" because that's where they are kept. I bring them out frequently and listen to them on a table or some other commando setup.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
It's the baffle step that's in play. Some of your sound is bouncing off whatever is beside/behind the speaker.

A full bookshelf (one with books on the sides and more shelves above and below it) looks a lot like a wall; so an in-wall speaker should work well in that case.

Given that it's not an actual wall; you'd want something with a case. Some HT speakers are designed to go against or in a wall behind a screen and those would likely work well as well.

Audessy or the like might well help here too.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Back in the day I had some Allison 6 speakers that absolutely needed stands and to be against a wall. Bought some Bose stands, and it was perfect for a small apartment. Great sound and looks. Sold them when I moved to a bigger apartment. Kinda wish I kept them. Same with my DCM Time Windows that I replaced them with. :(

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn’t place any speaker on a shelf unless placement was good . I was confused at first because all bookshelf speakers go on stands.
Speakers meant to be on a Bookshelf?
I’ve used them on tiered stands from Home Depot before for surrounds . Nothing is set up in that room right now. They’re still being used as speaker stands.

Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
Sometimes placement reality trumps ideal setup. I'd go with a speaker that's front ported, sealed, or has port plugs. If you have the ability to use tone controls or EQ, you can reduce the bass if needed (anti-baffle step). You might like the bass as is since it might be a little lacking.

I wonder how Neumann KH120 would do. Active speakers with built in DSP and a calibration option might be ideal.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I still have a pair of Infinity Primus 163s boxed up. Haven't set them up since I moved to Florida. I wouldn't even think about using them without stands of some sort.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis