10 or 12 year old router

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah cable. Good thing I don't need to upload much!
As for testing if you get the speed you paid for you can’t use wi-fi as that varies so much depending on a load of factors. You’ll have to use a wired connection to a PC and test on that.

That said, your wi-fi download speed is excellent for most tasks at home.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
As for testing if you get the speed you paid for you can’t use wi-fi as that varies so much depending on a load of factors. You’ll have to use a wired connection to a PC and test on that.

That said, your wi-fi download speed is excellent for most tasks at home.
That's good!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Depends on what speeds you’re paying for. With that low upload speed I guess your Internet connection is cable.
Some cable companies offer gigbit- 225Mbps is decent and should work for most needs- it was only a couple of years ago that the average speed was about 50Mbps and it was acceptable, to most users.

What is your speed?

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah cable. Good thing I don't need to upload much!
It's not bad, but that only reflects the test, not actual use. It's an OK way to get an idea, but not definitive.

Bottom line, routers are really good for only a few years before they're passed by the new models WRT real performance.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Some cable companies offer gigbit- 225Mbps is decent and should work for most needs- it was only a couple of years ago that the average speed was about 50Mbps and it was acceptable, to most users.

What is your speed?
I’ve 500Mbps up and down over fiber, and this is also what I get when testing wired.

highfigh

highfigh

I’ve 500Mbps up and down over fiber, and this is also what I get when testing wired.
Symmetrical Up/Down speed is something cable customers only see with fiber and that's not as widespread as it probably should be, but it's coming. Spectrum is a PITA, but it's not nearly as bad as dealing with ATT. Not many options in this area, unless someone wants to try using a cellular modem and those tend to be limited to <50Mbps.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Symmetrical Up/Down speed is something cable customers only see with fiber and that's not as widespread as it probably should be, but it's coming. Spectrum is a PITA, but it's not nearly as bad as dealing with ATT. Not many options in this area, unless someone wants to try using a cellular modem and those tend to be limited to <50Mbps.
Crapcast's new Docsis 4.0 tech is looking to change that, but with the rest of the massive list of Crapcast issues, I rather have my cable asymmetric for now.

M

MatijaSever

Audiophyte
I just have never heard of that terminology. With buying a part for my truck, Amazon will say "this part fits your vehicle". That would be awesome here!
New WiFi standards are at least backward compatible in a way the HDMI and HDCP specs have never been.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We have Spectrum & ATT, but from what I have heard, I don't want Comcrap. It's Craptastic!
I had dropped Comcast because of issues previously. They get you in with a cheap first year and then jack the price up when that is over (standard big business). What I found though, is the rest of them are as bad or worse (I ended up receiving a refund from ATT for a class action suit), so I am back on Comcast. Comcast has the best speeds and high stability in our area now though.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have Comcast for internet only. And air antenna for local TV, which equates almost exclusively to weekend morning news and Vikings games. That is all I need for actual live TV. Then I pay the evil google machine $12 a month for Youtube Premium. Netflix is off at the moment, but I will likely sign back up next month (for one month) to watch the new season of The Crown.

highfigh

highfigh

I had dropped Comcast because of issues previously. They get you in with a cheap first year and then jack the price up when that is over (standard big business). What I found though, is the rest of them are as bad or worse (I ended up receiving a refund from ATT for a class action suit), so I am back on Comcast. Comcast has the best speeds and high stability in our area now though.
Yeah, class action lawsuits....Lawyers win, plaintiffs get 37 cents.

Dropping the name of the CEO has worked for me when dealing with ATT and Spectrum- I'm done f&cking around and having my time wasted.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, class action lawsuits....Lawyers win, plaintiffs get 37 cents.

Dropping the name of the CEO has worked for me when dealing with ATT and Spectrum- I'm done f&cking around and having my time wasted.
I got $100, but that was only because they were supposed to refund that $100 and never did.

E

eagleray

Enthusiast
Did you conclude that the internet dies, is rebooting the modem OR router bringing it back?
I've seen similar issues on the old Linksys wrt54g routers with stock firmware.
If your budget is tight, you may consider switching the firmware on it to 3rd party,
like OpenWRT.
thank you so much for your response

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
We have Rectum, it was crap when we first moved in 10 years ago, ( before then it was Brighthouse ( same people) now out of nowhere they in my area seemed to have some conscious on service. I cut their cable services and went to Hululive and my modem speed was around 100 mbps, now their basic in my area at no charge is 300mbps. We changed and went to 500mbps using their ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 and my TP-Link Archer AX11000 router. About a month ago AT&T & Spectrum ( odd combo) using a contract cable firm were installing fiber facilities underground up and down the highway and to shared fiber individual pedestals to all the homes and once competed, a homeowner can connect to the cable company of their choice. I will go with Spectrum since AT&T service is the pits here. Once its offered, they will install a terminal enclosure and a ONT and then to my router. So far no prices on the service.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I will Chime in:
Well, we have had ATT DSL for several years and not one issue. We have 4G or 100Mbps to the house. Actual speed avg is 90Mbps, which is more than adequate. We can watch Netflix or On Demand movies on 3 TVs at the same time, and no interruptions. ATT DSL has been superb for a long time.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
We have Rectum, it was crap when we first moved in 10 years ago, ( before then it was Brighthouse ( same people) now out of nowhere they in my area seemed to have some conscious on service. I cut their cable services and went to Hululive and my modem speed was around 100 mbps, now their basic in my area at no charge is 300mbps. We changed and went to 500mbps using their ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 and my TP-Link Archer AX11000 router. About a month ago AT&T & Spectrum ( odd combo) using a contract cable firm were installing fiber facilities underground up and down the highway and to shared fiber individual pedestals to all the homes and once competed, a homeowner can connect to the cable company of their choice. I will go with Spectrum since AT&T service is the pits here. Once its offered, they will install a terminal enclosure and a ONT and then to my router. So far no prices on the service.
get the fiber you lucky sob

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis