10 or 12 year old router

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I don't do any gaming, but thought you guys might know routers best. I have 2 HT systems, a laptop, a desktop and 3 phones (well one tablet, 2 phones) all on wifi. I have spectrum internet (not for live TV), Netflix Youtube Premium, etc. My router is super old. More than 10 years for sure. Last night, my buddy sent a text (while I was home and devices were all on wifi) and it did not arrive until like 10 am this morning. Thinking because of my super old router. I don't know what to look for. Any advice if anyone can help on models? I will pay more if it's worthwhile as far as security and speed, etc. I live in a 3 bedroom, long, single-wide mobile home.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is not likely due to your router, however that router probably should be replaced. What really matters is what speed you actually are paying for. If you are only paying for the speed that router is capable of, a better router won't buy you a whole lot. If you're paying for a premium speed tier, then the router could be limiting your wifi speed. Do you know if it is an all-in-one or separate modem and router? The one from the cable companies are usually all-in-one.

What about just asking Spectrum to update you to current for whatever plan you have?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd try and see what Spectrum might offer. While I'm not crazy about the router they provided (been with them I think almost 2 years now) they did provide an updated model about half way thru without my asking. I also think the email issue was not your router, tho.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
That is not likely due to your router, however that router probably should be replaced. What really matters is what speed you actually are paying for. If you are only paying for the speed that router is capable of, a better router won't buy you a whole lot. If you're paying for a premium speed tier, then the router could be limiting your wifi speed.
I'd try and see what Spectrum might offer. While I'm not crazy about the router they provided (been with them I think almost 2 years now) they did provide an updated model about half way thru without my asking. I also think the email issue was not your router, tho.
I might order a wifi 6 router. Netgear, TP Link or something reputable. I'll look for one under $120 or so. Unless someone has a model to consider.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I was on the phone with Spectrum and forgot to ask what speed I am getting. Oh well. But I did I think understand that wifi 6 should be what to look for.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
He mentioned something about compatibility to ring, alexa, light bulbs, etc. I do none of that spyware stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm wasn't aware you needed special routers for things like the home automation stuff, but the closest I get to that is for music with several Chromecast Audio units via Google Home setup. Maybe that's why they gave me a different one....

You could just run a speed test, and I'd think your service level would be apparent in your billing. They're probably not the same, tho :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't do any gaming, but thought you guys might know routers best. I have 2 HT systems, a laptop, a desktop and 3 phones (well one tablet, 2 phones) all on wifi. I have spectrum internet (not for live TV), Netflix Youtube Premium, etc. My router is super old. More than 10 years for sure. Last night, my buddy sent a text (while I was home and devices were all on wifi) and it did not arrive until like 10 am this morning. Thinking because of my super old router. I don't know what to look for. Any advice if anyone can help on models? I will pay more if it's worthwhile as far as security and speed, etc. I live in a 3 bedroom, long, single-wide mobile home.
10 years is too old. You should invest in a Netgear Orbi Mesh. I put the first one in at my lake home, the owners have zero issues. I put the system in here. There is a high signal throughout the house. The system is stable and it has not had one reboot in two and a half years. It does not glitch even in power interruptions when switching to the UPS. I also put one in the my brother's house in the UK and that has given no trouble either. The Netgear Orbi mesh is by far the best router I have ever owned, and by a huge margin.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You don't need a special router for home automation, but a relatively current model is better for connectivity to multiple devices. WiFi 6 is only needed if you have Wifi6 devices, otherwise there is no immediate benefit. Most devices will likely be WiFi 6 though. I recently upgraded to a WiFi6 Asus router and have been pleased with it so far.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess I did get wifi6 with the last router from Spectrum....since it brought 2.4 & 5Ghz speeds?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Is Netgear Mesh overkill in my mobile home? The cost seems about double or more.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
You don't need a special router for home automation, but a relatively current model is better for connectivity to multiple devices. WiFi 6 is only needed if you have Wifi6 devices, otherwise there is no immediate benefit. Most devices will likely be WiFi 6 though. I recently upgraded to a WiFi6 Asus router and have been pleased with it so far.
Phones, TV's, computers, tablets. Are those wifi 6 devices?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Many are WiFi 5(AC). WiFi 6(AX) is not as widely supported. Both support 2.4 and 5 gHz.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
All of your current devices will be supported and may benefit from a good router, they just won't take full advantage of it. New devices that support it will. Even I only have 2 actual Wifi 6 devices so far, but the rest still see a bit more available throughput with the new one. Not saying not to go Wifi 6, because if you're going to get a new router, I would go that way.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
oh and an Onkyo receiver and a Yamaha receiver.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Many are WiFi 5(AC). WiFi 6(AX) is not as widely supported. Both support 2.4 and 5 gHz.
Does that mean I can get by with either wifi 5 or wifi 6? It's all greek to me. I just want one that is compatible. Overly compatible is fine I suppose too. What do I know.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Both 5 and 6 are compatible with older N devices that use 2.4gHz.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Great, but how do i know if I have N devices that use 2.4ghz?
I just have never heard of that terminology. With buying a part for my truck, Amazon will say "this part fits your vehicle". That would be awesome here!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis