10 or 12 year old router

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It should be noted that old routers and modems won't necessarily work well with the newer network protocols. DOCSIS 3.1 is the current standard and if someone tries to use an older modem or combo unit, it won't work well, if at all. Also, a 10-12 year old router wouldn't have had an update for at least 8 years and in IP, that's several lifetimes. Speed, capacity for multiple devices, security and consistent performance would all be greatly enhanced in newer equipment. With the price of pretty decent routers being in the $100 range, I don't understand why anyone would want to use something so old, other than not wanting to spend the money. From the security standpoint alone, I would avoid using it and with Russia going off like they are, everyone needs to be more careful than ever- frequent backups, use passwords that are difficult to decipher and don't assume that anything is safe.

If hackers can compromise government networks, how secure are we? Not very.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I set up the new wifi router and have a good signal. But now my Onkyo receiver is not seeing the signal. Google Home is only seeing my TV. So it's weird that the receiver doesn't see my wifi and Google Home doesn't see the receiver. I first tried to set up the Onkyo using the SSID manually but that failed, that's when I tried Google Home. I think Google Home had it once, but it thought it was a wireless speaker. Tried to start over, but can't even get to that point anymore.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Have you made any adjustments to the router settings? Check WAP settings. If it is at WAP3 for 2.4gHz, change it to WAP/WAP2/WAP3 and change 5gHz to WAP2/WAP3. You might set 2.4gHz band to 20MHz and channel 11 and set 5gHz band to 80MHz and channel 48 to avoid traffic. Onkyo receivers can be finicky and don't like network changes. After router adjustments, go into Onkyo settings and turn wifi off. After a bit, turn it back on and see if you can join the new network. If you plan on using Chromecast at all to cast music to the Onkyo, do not change its "Friendly Name" on the network. You can see the friendly name on the Onkyo Control app. You can change the Name, but do not change the "Friendly Name." By default, it should show Onkyo TX-NR696 followed by a letter and several numbers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Netgear, TP Link or something reputable. I'll look for one under $120 or so.
So Netgear and TP Links are reputable brands? This is news to me, I'm only doing IT for 22 years.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
And you waited until page three to chime in?;)
Somehow I missed the thread earlier.

In any case, Mesh network equipment isn't needed for a mobile home. Asus RT-AC68 routers served me very well. They don't have AX or any new finagled tech like wave 6 nor 6e. What said at your budget a slighter older model will still work just fine. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-AiMesh-Router-AC1900/dp/B00FB45SI4?th=1
If you don't mind a used model, Amazon Warehouse sells one for under $50, which is a very good deal given it should have still one year warranty.

If you feel more adventurous, you could install a 3rd party firmware on it like FreshTomato or DD-WRT to unlock many enterprise router features

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Somehow I missed the thread earlier.

In any case, Mesh network equipment isn't needed for a mobile home. Asus RT-AC68 routers served me very well. They don't have AX or any new finagled tech like wave 6 nor 6e. What said at your budget a slighter older model will still work just fine. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-AiMesh-Router-AC1900/dp/B00FB45SI4?th=1
If you don't mind a used model, Amazon Warehouse sells one for under $50, which is a very good deal given it should have still one year warranty.

If you feel more adventurous, you could install a 3rd party firmware on it like FreshTomato or DD-WRT to unlock many enterprise router features
I already purchased the TP-Link unit. Having an issue connecting my Onkyo receiver though. Do you think it'd be worthwhile to return it and purchase the Asus unit?

highfigh

highfigh

I already purchased the TP-Link unit. Having an issue connecting my Onkyo receiver though. Do you think it'd be worthwhile to return it and purchase the Asus unit?
Can you hardwire it? If so, do that. If not, turn off the 5GHz band and try it again.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Can you hardwire it? If so, do that. If not, turn off the 5GHz band and try it again.
I got the Onkyo wifi working. For some weird reason, it did not see my wifi to connect. So the option was to type the SSID. I did that multiple times yesterday to no avail. I suddenly realized this morning that the SSID is the wifi name and I changed that. I was using the original name. I didn't know that the wifi name was the SSID.
So that said, I did shut off 5g. Shall I go back and turn 5g back on and re-do it all? Or just leave it as is if 2.4 is as good as 5g for my purposes?

highfigh

highfigh

I got the Onkyo wifi working. For some weird reason, it did not see my wifi to connect. So the option was to type the SSID. I did that multiple times yesterday to no avail. I suddenly realized this morning that the SSID is the wifi name and I changed that. I was using the original name. I didn't know that the wifi name was the SSID.
So that said, I did shut off 5g. Shall I go back and turn 5g back on and re-do it all? Or just leave it as is if 2.4 is as good as 5g for my purposes?
If you need help with network info, google whatever you need and it will show many links. I doubt the AVR will be able to work on 5GHz but you can find out by reading the specs in the manual.

Regardless of the fact that you got it to work with WiFi, I still recommend hardwiring it. Read the last line in my signature- "WiFi is for convenience, hardwired is for performance". Nobody in IT should argue against that.

Also, 5GHz is the WiFi radio frequency and to maintain clarity in the information, it's different from the 5G that refers to cellular networks- 5G means 5th Generation and doesn't refer to speed or frequency.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Cannot hardwire it. Totally different room from where the modem is.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I turned 5g back on and everything is fine now. Finally. ha. Thx a million for the help!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I selected the option with both 5g and 2.4 and the devices will choose the fastest one.

highfigh

highfigh

Cannot hardwire it. Totally different room from where the modem is.
I wire old homes that were built more than 100 years ago- what makes your place more difficult? I wire equipment that's hundreds of feet apart.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I selected the option with both 5g and 2.4 and the devices will choose the fastest one.
You need to find the signal strength AT the piece which is trying to connect to the router- 5GHz is faster, but the signal doesn't go as far and it doesn't pass through many building materials as well as 2.4GHz signal- it's how RF works.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
This reminds me of folks telling me to spread out my speakers at my computer that I am sitting 4 feet away from. And they persist even after I tell them that to the right of me is a wall and that speaker is not going outside. And to the left is basically my living room. I don't care about hardwiring. It works now. I am happy. Now watch, someone will tell to move my computer speakers out.

Attachments

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
While I'm at it, notice how I cut the legs of the shelf and inserted 2x2 pine to extend them to accommodate the Axiom speakers. I am semi proud of that. No one has ever noticed!! Well, maybe that should be the objective anyway.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis