Danley DTS-10, or other?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
My first thread in the DIY subforum. :D

The only two DIY builds that have whetted my appetite recently are the Danley kit and the Tuba HT that Matt34 built. I am leaning towards the Danley for a few reasons, and they include the flexibility of placement, and a rolloff that starts at 11hz. :eek:

I think the Tuba should be half of the cost, and I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it was also more efficient (though I have no idea), but I think either choice would be plenty plenty plenty for me. In fact, I am afraid for my windows, and maybe even the structural integrity of my home. Just being paranoid. I am not the type to run subs hot, I will calibrate, and try to use common sense.

I guess I'm just wondering out loud: is there any other particular build that people think I should look at?

I believe my only candidates for placement for the Danley are on the right sidewall besides the viewers, or the back wall corner, or back wall flush next to my rack. The only place the Tuba can really go is back wall corner.

I have a good amount of leftover Monoprice 12 AWG, and I suppose that should be good enough. I've come across them before, but for my convenience, I would appreciate a linky to XLR/RCA converters for if/when I buy a pro amp. I would also appreciate amp recommendations. ufokillerz thinks that the Behringer EP4000 would be a good fit, for a reasonable price. (I suppose that would need a fan mod, and so fan recommendations would be appreciated as well).

Thanks for reading.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
So, I found this recommendation by WmAx when using the search function. Is this what I need, or is it overkill for the application? $50.

Then this Mono y splitter, so that I can run dual subs.

I have to admit that I'm not crazy about how the Behringer looks. I think the Yammy amps that WmAx likes do look a lot better, but I'm not sure how they compare in power, if for more money. I am not sure which of the four P series amps would be sufficient. The pricing seems to run from about $400+ to $750, depending on the model. Hm.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=15252&CTID=227600

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Way back Chris said that this was the place for the Yamaha amps:

http://www.djdeals.com/amplifiers.htm

I have seen that Samson unit used by tcarcio as well. I think it ups the voltage of the line level signal too. The fan mod for the Behringer is talked about here:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45137

I have seen and heard one at Greg's and can say that it is quiet, actually silent and that was up close and personal too. I would check with Greg to make sure he used the same one Mike links.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, I just read a week old post that the "deal" on this sub is over at the end of the month. I was thinking next month at the earliest . . . but maybe I can figure out some finances sooner . . . :eek:

I wonder how much the pricing will go up . . . perhaps I will contact them tomorrow . . .

oh, thanks a lot for the links, Alex.

Well, after some more reading, it seems this thing is nearly impossible to beat for the money. Hmm.

Matt34

Matt34

Ok, I just read a week old post that the "deal" on this sub is over at the end of the month. I was thinking next month at the earliest . . . but maybe I can figure out some finances sooner . . . :eek:

I wonder how much the pricing will go up . . . perhaps I will contact them tomorrow . . .

oh, thanks a lot for the links, Alex.

Well, after some more reading, it seems this thing is nearly impossible to beat for the money. Hmm.
From my understanding once the this deal is up they aren't going to offer it as a kit any longer. It's going to be something like $3k for the commercial version.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So, I found this recommendation by WmAx when using the search function. Is this what I need, or is it overkill for the application? $50.

I have to admit that I'm not crazy about how the Behringer looks. I think the Yammy amps that WmAx likes do look a lot better, but I'm not sure how they compare in power, if for more money. I am not sure which of the four P series amps would be sufficient. The pricing seems to run from about $400+ to $750, depending on the model. Hm.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=15252&CTID=227600
Horns don't require nearly as much power because the design reinforces the signal. So you won't need gobs of power. The 2500s would probably be good enough for a horn sub.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic

From what I've read, the s-convert is a trial-and-error type of thing. Some people are fine without them, but if you're running a pro amp pretty hard you might run out of voltage. IIRC, some of them have an audible hiss when the gain is on the high side. Probably not an issue with a sub especially since it doesn't sound like you plan on pushing it too much. If the interconnect run is long you might benefit from the noise rejection of the balanced connection. But that's application-specific too. I would wait on it and see if you run into any problems.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
From my understanding once the this deal is up they aren't going to offer it as a kit any longer. It's going to be something like $3k for the commercial version.
Thanks for the heads up!!! :eek: :)

Horns don't require nearly as much power because the design reinforces the signal. So you won't need gobs of power. The 2500s would probably be good enough for a horn sub.
The figure I have read on a couple of occasions is that the unit handles 1kw. That may lead me to look towards one of the "middle" models, and from there I'll see what kind of price differences there are. OTOH, of course if I buy the beefiest available, the more future-proofed I would be.

From what I've read, the s-convert is a trial-and-error type of thing. Some people are fine without them, but if you're running a pro amp pretty hard you might run out of voltage. IIRC, some of them have an audible hiss when the gain is on the high side. Probably not an issue with a sub especially since it doesn't sound like you plan on pushing it too much. If the interconnect run is long you might benefit from the noise rejection of the balanced connection. But that's application-specific too. I would wait on it and see if you run into any problems.
The interconnect run will be short. I run the HT at roughly -11 to -9, depending on the movie itself, and how packed the HT is. The sub is usually around normal, and I think the hottest I've ever set it to was +3. Not exactly sure where it's at right now.

Thanks a lot skers_54, this stuff really is pretty new to me.

I hope to contact Danley tomorrow, and I intend to report back here.

U

ufokillerz

Audioholic Intern
get the danley =) you wont be disappointed, deal ends the end of this month.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
get the danley =) you wont be disappointed, deal ends the end of this month.
I called today. $975 + $59 packaging + shipping. Outside chance they may have a couple of kits available still at the beginning of May, but to guarantee purchase at said pricing, they must have the money by April 30. Matt seems to be right, as the fellow told me the built one will be 3x more expensive.

This hobby is too expensive man. I know it's less money than my present subwoofer, but when I bought that one, I thought I was going to be ok for many years in the sub department.

So, I watched Star Trek again last night (fun movie), and I realized that I could use more midbass capability from my speakers. I bring this up, because I only say subjectively that for the performance of the HT, it's somewhat balanced. If I used this money towards speakers, then the sub will be lacking, and getting a DTS10 instead means the speakers might be hanging on for dear life to keep up. What the heck do I know.

I then thought movies like ST are rarer with the midbass/bass demands on speakers. Most movies with higher bass energy do tend to keep it to the LFE channel it seems . . . I dunno, just blabbering out loud . . .

I'm still sitting on the fence on this one. I guess it's only money. :confused:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I called today. $975 + $59 packaging + shipping. Outside chance they may have a couple of kits available still at the beginning of May, but to guarantee purchase at said pricing, they must have the money by April 30. Matt seems to be right, as the fellow told me the built one will be 3x more expensive.

This hobby is too expensive man. I know it's less money than my present subwoofer, but when I bought that one, I thought I was going to be ok for many years in the sub department.

So, I watched Star Trek again last night (fun movie), and I realized that I could use more midbass capability from my speakers. I bring this up, because I only say subjectively that for the performance of the HT, it's somewhat balanced. If I used this money towards speakers, then the sub will be lacking, and getting a DTS10 instead means the speakers might be hanging on for dear life to keep up. What the heck do I know.

I then thought movies like ST are rarer with the midbass/bass demands on speakers. Most movies with higher bass energy do tend to keep it to the LFE channel it seems . . . I dunno, just blabbering out loud . . .

I'm still sitting on the fence on this one. I guess it's only money. :confused:
A horn is a monster sized sub used for churches and theaters. Not usually in a home. I think it's going overboard big time. For 1k you could build a pair of Maelstrom's. Or 4 Dayton Reference 15" subs.

Evening the response has a way of improving the bass. Not saying it wouldn't work, but do you really want 120db in your house.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
A horn is a monster sized sub used for churches and theaters. Not usually in a home. I think it's going overboard big time. For 1k you could build a pair of Maelstrom's. Or 4 Dayton Reference 15" subs.

Evening the response has a way of improving the bass. Not saying it wouldn't work, but do you really want 120db in your house.
It's a big theater, and it's not closed off. I have two rows of four (the riser itself is hundreds of lbs, and extremely large), a 75 sq ft screen, and well, my HT sort of screams big.

I would finally have dual subs for the first time ever.

If a DTS10 is overkill, what do you call Warp and rmk's systems? :)

I would also not really benefit from more than dual subs, because of placement limitations. Even a Maelstrom or Dayton would not fit in the front of my HT, for instance. They would have to be colocated; which sort of defeats the purpose of buying multiple subs, in this scenario, for my desires. Well, I guess I could three subs in different spots.

Well, at reference level, the bass hits 115 db peaks, correct?

Even if I just ran it with 105 db peaks, I still get usable output down to 11 hz! The HT is really for movies.

But, last night it was running at -9, and say if my sub was running hot by 2db, then that means I would be getting 108 db peaks? That would be cool to have 108 db peaks at 11 hz. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You know there are other kit horn options.:D

Now that I know you've lost your mind like the rest of us. This project is definitely capable of filling your room. If your room is large enough you don't need dual subs. A Horn really is a matter of space constraints. If you have the space it's probably the most efficient waay to build a sub.

Tcarcio has already built this sub. So be sure to ask him for pointers.

U

ufokillerz

Audioholic Intern
You know there are other kit horn options.:D

Now that I know you've lost your mind like the rest of us. This project is definitely capable of filling your room. If your room is large enough you don't need dual subs. A Horn really is a matter of space constraints. If you have the space it's probably the most efficient waay to build a sub.

Tcarcio has already built this sub. So be sure to ask him for pointers.
just wondering what other horn kits are out there that can dig as low as the danley? i had considered the tht for the longest time, but it doesn't go that low.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Don't listen to these guys....

Get them and do it quick before the deal is up.... For $2500 with amp and EQ its a freakin steal !!!! They have more clean output then you will get from any other pair of subs for twice the price... They might not be equal to the SQ, tighness and accuracy of the LMS's but its dam close and dam good from the people I trust whom have both.

The price of these will be going up to $3k each straight from Danley down the line, I wouldn't hesitate and you should be assured you will never lose money - when Danley ups the price you could easily sell them for what you have invested....

If I could get them to integrate into my great room I would have bought them and stopped messin around along time ago... I personally need more of a finely finished product for my room and it will all come true soon enough.

Pair of EP2500's or similar will work and add a Behringer 1124 for EQ and you will be in heaven...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you ask basspig, there is not such thing as too much bass :D
I think - you should go for it !!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Don't listen to these guys....
You mean, don't listen to lsiberian. LOL.

Get them and do it quick before the deal is up.... For $2500 with amp and EQ its a freakin steal !!!!
I don't know how you came up with that number. Are you perhaps thinking that I was going to buy two of them? I would get one, and hopefully it would work well with my F113. I guess if I was going to do this, I should have bought one a while ago, to see if I even cared for a second. I don't think I could sell the Fathom fast enough, and getting the funds together for just one is already somewhat stressful at this moment.

I posed this sub question to my guests last night, and they were like, "whatever man; whatever you do is just another level of insanity we didn't even know existed". One friend thinks that if I can be assured I don't bother my neighbors, I should go for it. When I first set up my theater, I actually did ask one of them if it was ever too loud. He said it was cool, but I do fear this Danley might change things. A different guest, a pregnant woman, just flat out told me, "you're such a nerd". :D

They have more clean output then you will get from any other pair of subs for twice the price... They might not be equal to the SQ, tighness and accuracy of the LMS's but its dam close and dam good from the people I trust whom have both.
Thanks for this input, and likewise, your thumbs up definitely counts for something. :D

The price of these will be going up to $3k each straight from Danley down the line, I wouldn't hesitate and you should be assured you will never lose money - when Danley ups the price you could easily sell them for what you have invested....
I was thinking about this too, and my friend brought up that point as well. However, it's not like it's easy to find someone who wants to buy a sub that is over 23 cubic feet. Well, maybe it is, I don't know, but shipping would be a doozy. :eek:

If I could get them to integrate into my great room I would have bought them and stopped messin around along time ago... I personally need more of a finely finished product for my room and it will all come true soon enough.

Pair of EP2500's or similar will work and add a Behringer 1124 for EQ and you will be in heaven...
Thanks for the input, Warpdrv. I have to admit that I like the "easy button", and for bass mgmt, I have to admit the SVS ASEQ1 would be great to try out. Even that still might be complex for me. :eek:

Is Warp making me poorer, and fast!? We shall see! Stay tuned for the next episode of meat's conundrum!

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, I thought for some reason that you were shooting for 2, my bad...

I guess I wasn't sure what size room you were working with... no mention that I saw.... 1 should certainly blow the F113 away in output by quite a stretch....
So 1 should run $1K plus amp, I would suggest a smaller amp that will push 1kw at 4 ohms bridged... you may or may not need the samson, but EQ would be a good idea. Not sure I would spend the money on the SVS unit myself...

Where do you live...? Maybe someone could come run sweeps and help you setup EQ on a 1124 for cheap...

No question as I said - If I could fit them I would buy a pair - Heck I suppose I should buy a pair just for the pricing alone, and I could sell them to someone that missed the early pricing - my room is so stupidly large it has been an adventure and a great learning experience about subs and bass in general...

My subwoofer upgrade journey will be showing up this week - and it will be wicked, pics will be forthcoming....

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Another vote for two here if you can muster it. It's a powerful subwoofer, but judging from your screen and room size, plus large listening area, you'll want another to EQ and place seperately.

That said, I realize budgets are what they are... I'm budget limited too.... and space is what it is.

You could look into Captivators from JTR also, and maybe get a package for some mains and bins from him.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis