TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
NOPE !!!

No calibration will be able to bring the deepest black level back.

Thanks for the reply and that is EXACTLY what I just learned too, that a calibration can only correct the black level if it was due to bad calibration.

TheFactor

TheFactor

So, what kind of Pioneer Elites do they carry?

I have a friend who bought the same TV as yours, as you might recall. I still haven't seen it at his place. He got a steal on it, as my good friend hooked him up with a Pana discount. Even with that deal on the table, did I make sure to tell him about the pros/cons of going with Pioneer.

Well, I haven't told him about the rising blacks. He can't return it. I will tell you my thoughts honestly: 1) I doubt the blacks will rise so much to become a light grey! (can't say it won't, just doubt it). 2) Even if they did rise considerably, I honestly don't think he will notice.

If it was super bad, and super rampant, EVERYBODY and their mom would be complaining and returning their sets.

The above all said, you paid a lot for your set, and you're pretty obsessed about this stuff. Therefore, because you can return it, I think you should, if you can land a Pio. When you pay that much, it should better work, and work damn well. If you can't land a Pio, perhaps a Samsung (given that their report card is excellent for '09), otherwise, honestly, I'd stick with the V10 over any LCD. That's just me, and I hope you get more opinions.

I'm sorry that you have to stress over such a major purchase. Sometimes it is more painful to be educated about product purchases. :rolleyes:
Hi Josten, I purchased my display from BB and unfortunately there is no pioneers left except display models "at bb" and there not Elites I know the one I saw was a 60" but cant remember the model # but I dont want a box less display for a number of reasons and im sure you'll agree . The Strange thing though is that there hasnt been any reports of the black level rise that I know of on the 65" but speculation is because they havent been out as long as the others . Again the PQ is beautiful on the display and I am so happy with it and guess thats what makes it even harder to give it up and I swear as of now with about 70 hours logged on without calibration yet the blacks look even better than when I got and the PQ SEEMS TO BE GETTING BETTER but this is just my observation and I could be imagining it but it for sure is not getting worse "yet" thats for sure . I watched Survivor last night On hd cable and WOW what a Beautiful colorful detailed Picture . All that being said I agree I might have to exchange it but im still thinking about it I just dont want that black level issue hanging over my head wondering if and when. The Salesman told me I had 45 days to do an exchange but on the back of my receipt its says 30 days hmmm. Dont know but i'll be making my desicion in the next few days I think. For sure it wont be A LED/LCD i've been spoiled with the PQ on this plasma thats for sure. The Down side of going to the Sammy is there flagship model the 860 I believe biggest size is a 58" unless I go to the next model down then they have a 63" the main difference I think is the 24p thing . Well thanks again for the Advice Josten and you are so wright sometimes it doesn't pay to be educated on product purchases . I still think this panny all around as far as displays being made and in production the best PQ out there except for that possible black rise issue .

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Is it 30 days for a full refund? Or is their policy only for store credit? I honestly don't know. If full refund, maybe God is trying to tell you something: Projector! :D

Oh damn, they got a JVC HD350 on their site! Hm, linky no worky.

So you know, both "Pioneer Kuro" and "Anthem" have taken JVC PJs and rebadged them as their own. The above is the equivalent to the RS10 I believe. OTOH, I'm willing to bet money that AVS sells it cheaper than that.

Ok, say the 65" came out 180 days ago, and someone started using it right then. To hit the 1000 hour mark, they would have to have it on for over 5.5 hours every single day since then. So I think you make a good point.

Most people can't recognize deep blacks, shadow detail, good PQ in general, if it hit them in the head. What I mean is that even if their blacks are rising, I don't think they would know, in fact, they probably think it has improved!! (People equate brighter with better.)

Worst case scenario, say the voltage increase is too premature at 1k, then well, eventually, it will be perfect, hopefully.

But, again, I think I'd return it. Of course, I would have just got a PJ to begin with. I would think about the display Elites. If 60", it's most likely either the 141 or 151 (either are awesome), but if the 6020, good, but not as awesome. Anyways, ask them to tell you exactly how many hours are on the Elites. There has got to be a way to find out, you can ask in owner's threads too, to see how you check that.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Is it 30 days for a full refund? Or is their policy only for store credit? I honestly don't know. If full refund, maybe God is trying to tell you something: Projector! :D

Oh damn, they got a JVC HD350 on their site! Hm, linky no worky.

So you know, both "Pioneer Kuro" and "Anthem" have taken JVC PJs and rebadged them as their own. The above is the equivalent to the RS10 I believe. OTOH, I'm willing to bet money that AVS sells it cheaper than that.

Ok, say the 65" came out 180 days ago, and someone started using it right then. To hit the 1000 hour mark, they would have to have it on for over 5.5 hours every single day since then. So I think you make a good point.

Most people can't recognize deep blacks, shadow detail, good PQ in general, if it hit them in the head. What I mean is that even if their blacks are rising, I don't think they would know, in fact, they probably think it has improved!! (People equate brighter with better.)

Worst case scenario, say the voltage increase is too premature at 1k, then well, eventually, it will be perfect, hopefully.

But, again, I think I'd return it. Of course, I would have just got a PJ to begin with. I would think about the display Elites. If 60", it's most likely either the 141 or 151 (either are awesome), but if the 6020, good, but not as awesome. Anyways, ask them to tell you exactly how many hours are on the Elites. There has got to be a way to find out, you can ask in owner's threads too, to see how you check that.
Thanks Josten for your reply but a PJ just wont work for me now :( maybe later and I know you have good intentions .Also 9 out of the 10 display models they never normaly keep the boxes and I have to have one in case I move out of state this year. They do give a full refund or exchange within a 30 day period but I might have to pay for the return pickup if I dont get another display from them im just guessing though and shouldnt be to much. Yes its a big choice to make man I love this display but I think your wright I probably should return or exchange it . I just have to figure out for what and i'd like to keep everything with the same store if possible so they can just come out and take mine and bring my new one . I've got some thinking to do this weekend for sure .

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW, shoot Pioneer an email, or better yet call, to ask how much a replacement box is. My guess is like $50, but I dunno.

TheFactor

TheFactor

FWIW, shoot Pioneer an email, or better yet call, to ask how much a replacement box is. My guess is like $50, but I dunno.
Great Idea i'll have to check that out, first im going to see if I can find one still if theres any displays left . Thanks !!

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Factor....don't do it, man! The 58 and 65 V10 do not seem to have this problem so far. I really think Panasonic change a few things during the production run of those size sets.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Factor....don't do it, man! The 58 and 65 V10 do not seem to have this problem so far. I really think Panasonic change a few things during the production run of those size sets.
Thanks Gov I have a feeling your wright im fighting the idea of taking it back. I just dont know but I'll be watching a lot of tv the next few days or weeks to try and deside .

TheFactor

TheFactor

Ok just for different options to fall back on I found a 60"elite a display model but it looked rough had a nick on the edge of frame the base had a lot of fine scratches was on display for over a year and then sent to pioneer for repair work "didnt ask for what" estimated hours logged 4000 to 5000 hours but if intersted he could find out the exact amount of hours but I wasnt at that point. The PQ though was very good but my Panny looked better to me but could of just been the material and or source used but it did look good . The best part was the price 3499 and probably could of negitiated more if interested . Retail was 6499 I guess but this one did look like it didnt get much love :( So I ended up giving him my # and he's going to do a search in all areas and see if he could find any new ones or any more displays models left over. So far my Panny is winning but will see , I know when I got home and saw my sparkling new 65'' it sure was looking good especialy compared to what I just saw .

TheFactor

TheFactor

Ok i've located a Pioneer 50" PRO-101FD Elite new in the box FOR 2899.00 I would get a credit for the difference. I know its a lot smaller than im use to but its the last of the elite no punt intended and if or when I go with a pj size wont be a issue and in the future the pioneer would still be my main display during the day. Now I just have to decide ....hmmmmmmmm :confused:

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Ok i've located a Pioneer 50" PRO-101FD Elite new in the box FOR 2899.00 I would get a credit for the difference. I know its a lot smaller than im use to but its the last of the elite no punt intended and if or when I go with a pj size wont be a issue and in the future the pioneer would still be my main display during the day. Now I just have to decide ....hmmmmmmmm :confused:
Not a very good price for that! Besides you would not want to go from a 65" to 50" That is like watching a computer screen :D

TheFactor

TheFactor

Not a very good price for that! Besides you would not want to go from a 65" to 50" That is like watching a computer screen :D
Not really because my computer screen is only a 17" :p But I know what your saying . I thought 2899.00 was good deal though on line vendors there like 3999 and up maybe supply a demand :confused: but it doesnt have a tuner or come with a stand either, dont care about the tuner but I want a stand and its like 200 dollars :eek:

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
Not really because my computer screen is only a 17" :p But I know what your saying . I thought 2899.00 was good deal though on line vendors there like 3999
and up maybe supply a demand :confused:
Not really a bad price considering they're almost gone !!!

but it doesnt have a tuner or come with a stand either, dont care about the tuner but I want a stand and its like 200 dollars :eek:

If you're talking about the KRP-TS02PM stand, you can find it used for around $40 sometimes at Ebay or Amazon. :)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Not really a bad price considering they're almost gone !!!

If you're talking about the KRP-TS02PM stand, you can find it used for around $40 sometimes at Ebay or Amazon. :)

Thats one of the things I was considering to theres not many around but yes its the KRP-TS02 listed on pioneers site for 200 but didnt think they'd be around on ebay , great idea thanks .

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
Thats one of the things I was considering to theres not many around but yes its the KRP-TS02 listed on pioneers site for 200 but didnt think they'd be around on ebay , great idea thanks .
Pioneer is selling it for half price now:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/PlasmaTVs+Monitors/Accessories/ci.KRP-TS02PM.Kuro

Few places selling it brand new for less than $50 (Don't know any of those stores):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002Z9LGT8/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1266127005&sr=8-1&condition=new

Last edited:
G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
I could have gotten a brand new 60" Pro-151 for $3299 last November. I decided to get my V10 for about $1400 cheaper though.

TheFactor

TheFactor

I could have gotten a brand new 60" Pro-151 for $3299 last November. I decided to get my V10 for about $1400 cheaper though.
Yes theres not many around now and thats a big price difference I think you made a great choice . These V10'S are nice !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis