E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
The guy who started this thread had a fairly large budget.
As mentioned in my other thread I am in the market for a new TV (50") with a budget of around $1300. Everybody seems to be pro-plasma here. But since I can't afford one of the pro models should I re-think and go LCD ? I doubt I could get an LED for that budget though in a 50".

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
Not sure you're going to get different answers on the same site in a different thread...

Are you looking for justification for buying an LCD? Pro series or not, I think the general consensus is that plasma is a superior picture to LCD/LED.

I still vote for the Panasonic plasmas ...unless you live in a glass house inches from the sun and brightness is an issue. :D

C

clouso

Banned
Not sure you're going to get different answers on the same site in a different thread...

Are you looking for justification for buying an LCD? Pro series or not, I think the general consensus is that plasma is a superior picture to LCD/LED.

I still vote for the Panasonic plasmas ...unless you live in a glass house inches from the sun and brightness is an issue. :D
haha oh damn i needed to laugh thx.soprage...lol...i still vote for the palsma too..:D

E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
nope, no justification for LCD. I just want the most for my money.

I Just worry about the rising black levels of the plasmas.
Out of curiosity, do the black levels continue to rise over the life of the TV or do they level off after a while ?

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
nope, no justification for LCD. I just want the most for my money.

I Just worry about the rising black levels of the plasmas.
Out of curiosity, do the black levels continue to rise over the life of the TV or do they level off after a while ?
Not all plasma displays have the debatable black level rise issue just Panny . If your not in a hurry the 2010 Panny plasma should be out in a few days and in the s2 im guessing should be close to your budget and theyve supposedly changed the voltage increase on them to happen slower. If not get a Sammy lcd I have a 40" in my room and its pretty nice although I like my plasma much more ;) :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
TheFactor, good upstanding Audioholics like myself demand a mini-review! :D

TheFactor

TheFactor

TheFactor, good upstanding Audioholics like myself demand a mini-review! :D
Ok Josten this mini review is for you :) Please keep in mind I've had a 12 hour day at work today and been up since 3am this morning :eek: so if my review is a little unclear thats why and thats my story and im sticking to it :p With that being said I figure if I have enough energy to watch my new display that you've helped me choose;) the least I can do is get off my lazy butt and give you my review of my New Pioneer Kuro PDP-6020FD and not make you wait any longer . Ok to start off with i'll state the Quality build of the Pioneer starting with the Display frame It appears to be built very well the piano black finish that doesn't have a wave in it I mean it looks as smooth as glass when looking at angle, I dont know how they did it I've never screen a display that had such a nice finish. I really like the thoughtful things pioneer has engineered into this display cosmetically for just being one of there entry level models it looks like it should be there Elite . The Stand is made out of a metal type material and is flat black and very tasteful looking and I really like the dim blue light in the bottom corner of frame very subtle when viewing a movie in the dark and not distracting at all . The Removable speaker bar mounts perfectly on the bottom of the frame and sounds incredible for a flat panel speaker system and as matter of fact i've never heard one that good before and normally never listen to them but I do this one not only at night when im not in the mood for dual subs and seven speakers lol but I even find myself listening to it during the day to when watching simple things on the discovery channel and so on . Ok now the Picture quality and my personal oppinion , I think its a very clean and natural picture its bright but not eye watering or straining when viewing a late night movie with the lights out. I think the colors are very accurate "to me" I think it looks great . I dont honestly think it has the picture detail the Panasonic 65v10 did although very close and im very happy with it and it makes up for it in all other areas. The Blacks on this kuro are inky black and blend in with frame sometime and actually had to get up and get a closer look to see if it was wide screen or not. Also the picture seems to have really good depth that really makes up for the difference in detail . It does have excellent detail but im just saying without a side by side comparison its close . All in all im very content/happy with my new kuro and intend on keeping it :D I have logged almost a 100 hours in a little over a week and a half so I figure in another week or so i'll be ready for a calibration and even though im totally satisfied im looking forward to taking it to the next level .Oh and almost forgot it also has outstanding pq on 1o80i cable viewing standard channels , blu-rays are incredible to ! Ok Josten theres my mini review and if I missed anything just let me know and thank you again for the in depth help and guidance Even threw the rough waters of my display searching journey and to all for the much needed help and the end results were great im finally Happy !! :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I am satisfied with your mini, thank you very much. :D Yeah, you might give up a bit from the latest technology, but I can definitely understand appreciating a product that screams fine quality, inside and out. I am glad that your whirlwind has come to an end. Enjoy. ;)

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
The guy who started this thread had a fairly large budget.
As mentioned in my other thread I am in the market for a new TV (50") with a budget of around $1300. Everybody seems to be pro-plasma here. But since I can't afford one of the pro models should I re-think and go LCD ? I doubt I could get an LED for that budget though in a 50".
Get the largest screen you can afford. In the larger screen sizes, plasmas are less expensive than LCDs. There is probably little difference between s1 and v10 Panasonics, other than a few gimmicks that you'll never miss. Go for a 65" if you can. I've never heard anyone say "Oh, I wish I had gotten a smaller TV."

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
yea,great factor! what model for the LCD?
i stil vote for Plasma for better resolution!:)
So you put hidden links in your posts and give misinformation.

Plasma has the same resolution as LCD. :rolleyes::mad:

TheFactor

TheFactor

I am satisfied with your mini, thank you very much. :D Yeah, you might give up a bit from the latest technology, but I can definitely understand appreciating a product that screams fine quality, inside and out. I am glad that your whirlwind has come to an end. Enjoy. ;)
Your very welcome :) also as far as my detail on my Kuro I mentioned earlier on my Mini review, I am still playing around with my settings and i've been running pure cinema/advanced mode and seems to be best with BD and not as good on HD cable. It seemed when I changed that setting I gained more detail on HD cable but who knows lol but I truly love this Kuro I know that:D It has a very natural picture. Glad you liked my mini review :)
Great review Factor!
Thanks Gov !

Factor, what's the model# on your 40" Sammy?
I beleive its a LN40a550p and what a great LCD with outstanding PQ . Love that little gem.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Your very welcome :) also as far as my detail on my Kuro I am still playing around with my settings and i've been running pure cinema/advanced mode and seems to be best with BD and not as good on HD cable. It seemed when I changed that setting I gained more detail on HD cable but who knows lol but I truly love this Kuro I know that:D It has a very natural picture. Glad you liked my mini review :) Thanks Gov !

I beleive itsa LN40a550p and what a great LCD with outstanding PQ . Love that little gem.
I guess Ive gotta keep asking,:confused: are you using your HMG on your pioneer display and or avr?

TheFactor

TheFactor

I guess Ive gotta keep asking,:confused: are you using your HMG on your pioneer display and or avr?
Im sorry I thought you mentioned that earlier somewere but wasnt sure what that was and was :eek: to ask lol . Is that the hdmi control your talking about if so then no .

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Im sorry I thought you mentioned that earlier somewere but wasnt sure what that was and was :eek: to ask lol . Is that the hdmi control your talking about if so then no .
streaming movies and music to the display. The interface is soso but the feature is cool:D

TheFactor

TheFactor

streaming movies and music to the display. The interface is soso but the feature is cool:D
No I havent tryed it yet but might get my feet wet and give it a try :D Hey did I mention how much I like my new Kuro display ? This thing rocks ! :D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
No I havent tryed it yet but might get my feet wet and give it a try :D Hey did I mention how much I like my new Kuro display ? This thing rocks ! :D
All my movies riped(working on my server:eek:) to hard drives, umpteen billion gigs plus of music, streaming services like HULU all accessible via the display.:)

C

cmstric

Junior Audioholic
I wanted to go with LED but everyone seems to think plasma is the way to go.

TheFactor

TheFactor

I wanted to go with LED but everyone seems to think plasma is the way to go.
I think you should to im very happy with my Plasma but you should get what you want to thats most important and do your research .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis