M

moodyda

Audioholic Intern
Since all here seem to know a good deal about plasma and lcd technologies, I could use a little help deciding between 2 sets. BTW, Factor good luck with your final purchase and I think it was a good one, I just finished reading the thread and wow what a rollercoaster ride. What I thought was neat though, was the advice that was given throughout and how it influenced you into doing what I thought in the end was the best choice. Now for my choice it should be easier. I recently gave my daghter my 42inch Samsung 4264 and was looking for a replacement. I had my mind set on a Sony LCD 46 inch from Costco that was a re-badged 5100 series mainly because it had $200 off making it $799 and that it fit my budget. They were out of stock and the salesman recommended a LG 50ps30 that also fit the budget at $850. Took it home mounted it on the wall and loved it. Then on the last day of the sale I happened to be in the store and another salesman suggested that I get a raincheck for the sony and see what they do for me. Then 2 weeks later they called me to inform me that a Sony 46ex501 (the ex500 minus the grey panel at the bottom) was in and that I could have it for the $799.
Well being that I had originally set out to get an LCD I figured that I would give it a try. This means that I basically have 2 months to compare the 2. Costco has a generous return policy as well as a great warranty, the warranty on the LG would be 2 years plus you can get an extra year as an Amex purchase, while you get an extra year on the Sony totalling 4.
The TEST begins. First I placed the Sony on a table in front of the LG and and plugged them both into rabbit ears for an off air hd signal. Both sets did a good job, but I noticed that the Sony had better blacks and a more natural look in skin tones. Not a big deal probably can tweak the settings on the LG to match. Then I noticed that the LG looked more washed out than the Sony, which I could not believe. Then I figured I would switch positions of both TV's to see if it makes a difference. Put the sony up and it looks too small now and looks more washed out. Then I noticed that the settings went back to the original settings and I cannot get it back to where I like it. I have yet to put the LG back up, but I think that having the 2 next to each other helps in getting the settings correct. I like both. Both have their positives and negatives, but which do you think will be better in a bedroom mounted on the wall and 10-11 feet from the pillow. Light is not an issue.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
^ not to quote the whole post, but I didnt see where you calibrated the sets?

M

moodyda

Audioholic Intern
I calibrated the LG first by using some recommendations online and then tweaked it with Avia. The sony was done ina similar fashion w/out avia.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
In order to get a true idea in difference I would recommend calibrating both using the disc, or if you have a bluray player, one of theirs. IMO at the price point your at the s1 Panasonic plasma, would be the choice.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks Moodyda ! Yes Im very happy now :D and im sure the guys will keep you on the wright track and give you great guidance like they did for me. This is the best group of guys you'll ever find and willing to help you out !!!

M

moodyda

Audioholic Intern
Good Pics Factor. I noticed the SVS, which model is that one? I have the pb 12plus. Also I noticed you removed the speaker covers, I personally used to like that look, but I think that your system looks more stylish with the grills on. Just my opinion though, take it or leave it, but most of all enjoy it, it is addictive. Pioneer Elite is some really good equip, I have a SC25, great receiver (replaces a B&K Ref 20). BTW what is your fav cigar?

TheFactor

TheFactor

Good Pics Factor. I noticed the SVS, which model is that one? I have the pb 12plus. Also I noticed you removed the speaker covers, I personally used to like that look, but I think that your system looks more stylish with the grills on. Just my opinion though, take it or leave it, but most of all enjoy it, it is addictive. Pioneer Elite is some really good equip, I have a SC25, great receiver (replaces a B&K Ref 20). BTW what is your fav cigar?
Thankyou Moodyda , I have a few favorite cigars Don Pepin Garcia blue labels are at the top of my list along with some pre-ban Cohiba cubans I really enjoy and the list goes on lol . But back to your other questions I actualy just took the covers off my Paradigm speakers for the pics normaly there on all the time and according to Paradigm there designed to sound better with them on . I actually own a Pb 13 Ultra and I just bought a Pb12 plus to keep my Ultra company and im very very impressed the pb12 plus its a strong performer and works great with my Ultra . The SC25 is a great AVR you must be really enjoying it !! Great choice . I need to update my sig Pics i've recently gone to 7.2 . Heres a quick pic of The Ultra and the Plus

M

moodyda

Audioholic Intern
Got the LG plasma back up and running, albiet at alower position. I can now match the settings to each tv, but I was wondering what is the best for calibrating newer tv's. I have Video essentials DVD by Joe Kane and Avia, what is the best to calibrate a tv?

TheFactor

TheFactor

I think so but its a debatable subject and theres not to many moves out in 7 channel but on my AVR I can split it up on the rear channels So 5.1 sounds pretty good and really surrounds you with sound from my srb and sb speakers. The biggest difference though was the adding to extra sub.

M

moodyda

Audioholic Intern
I have to ask this. When you went from 65 to 50 wasn't that a huge difference?

TheFactor

TheFactor

Actually I started out with a 61" and went to a 65" and then went to a 60" not a 50" . But to answer your question I did notice the difference dropping from a 65 to a 60 at first but now im use to it again and it makes up for it in other areas so I think that helps .

TheFactor

TheFactor

Yes its a 60 but hard to tell in the pictures because my center channel is pretty big so it makes the display look smaller .

M

moodyda

Audioholic Intern
Since all here seem to know a good deal about plasma and lcd technologies, I could use a little help deciding between 2 sets. BTW, Factor good luck with your final purchase and I think it was a good one, I just finished reading the thread and wow what a rollercoaster ride. What I thought was neat though, was the advice that was given throughout and how it influenced you into doing what I thought in the end was the best choice. Now for my choice it should be easier. I recently gave my daghter my 42inch Samsung 4264 and was looking for a replacement. I had my mind set on a Sony LCD 46 inch from Costco that was a re-badged 5100 series mainly because it had $200 off making it $799 and that it fit my budget. They were out of stock and the salesman recommended a LG 50ps30 that also fit the budget at $850. Took it home mounted it on the wall and loved it. Then on the last day of the sale I happened to be in the store and another salesman suggested that I get a raincheck for the sony and see what they do for me. Then 2 weeks later they called me to inform me that a Sony 46ex501 (the ex500 minus the grey panel at the bottom) was in and that I could have it for the $799.
Well being that I had originally set out to get an LCD I figured that I would give it a try. This means that I basically have 2 months to compare the 2. Costco has a generous return policy as well as a great warranty, the warranty on the LG would be 2 years plus you can get an extra year as an Amex purchase, while you get an extra year on the Sony totalling 4.
The TEST begins. First I placed the Sony on a table in front of the LG and and plugged them both into rabbit ears for an off air hd signal. Both sets did a good job, but I noticed that the Sony had better blacks and a more natural look in skin tones. Not a big deal probably can tweak the settings on the LG to match. Then I noticed that the LG looked more washed out than the Sony, which I could not believe. Then I figured I would switch positions of both TV's to see if it makes a difference. Put the sony up and it looks too small now and looks more washed out. Then I noticed that the settings went back to the original settings and I cannot get it back to where I like it. I have yet to put the LG back up, but I think that having the 2 next to each other helps in getting the settings correct. I like both. Both have their positives and negatives, but which do you think will be better in a bedroom mounted on the wall and 10-11 feet from the pillow. Light is not an issue.
Any help Choosing between these 2? LG 50ps30 or Sony 46 ex501.

T

tikboy1010

Enthusiast
Dear Mr. TheFactor,

How do you like the SVS subs that you have? I am presently trying to decide on what subs to buy for my theater room. I am deciding whether to go with a pair of Paradigm Sub 12 , JL Audio Fathom F112 or SVS PB12 Plus? How about a Sonus Faber Cremona Sub, should I even include this in the list?

With regards to going with two subs, would this be needed if I have a small room? The dimensions of my room is 5.2 Meters x 4.8 Meters. Or should I just stick to one?

Thanks

TheFactor

TheFactor

Dear Mr. TheFactor,

How do you like the SVS subs that you have? I am presently trying to decide on what subs to buy for my theater room. I am deciding whether to go with a pair of Paradigm Sub 12 , JL Audio Fathom F112 or SVS PB12 Plus? How about a Sonus Faber Cremona Sub, should I even include this in the list?

With regards to going with two subs, would this be needed if I have a small room? The dimensions of my room is 5.2 Meters x 4.8 Meters. Or should I just stick to one?

Thanks
SVS FTW :D PM sent

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis