TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ok guys you've helped me build the HT system I used to just dream about and couldnt be happier and I thankyou :) but now its time to upgrade my display so dont let me down now :) Im going from a JVC Dlp 61" thats a pretty nice display but I feel its now behind the quality and performance of my audio . So i've narrowed it down to a few different models and brands . I know the new models "2010" will be coming out soon so hopefully that will help me on better prices on last years models as im really not interested on new models due to the fact they normaly have to work the bugs out on new models "just my personal oppinion" That being said i'll be ready to pull the trigger in around 2 weeks or so and my budget is a max of just under 4000 dollars and possibly might have to include a new stand . I really like the Pioneer elite plasmas but it seems most of them are sold out and only display models are around and not interested in those plus thats pushing the higher end of my Budget . Im very much torn between a led and plasma which im sure is a much debated subject but im having a very hard time deciding on my own . In the Plasma displays I've narrowed it down to The panasonic vera 58" model# tc-p58v10 and a 65" tc-p6sv10 or a tc-p65s1 "not sure of ther differences between the two 65" theres a about a 1200 dollar price difference though . Ok then the LED displays I like are the Samsung 55" un55b8000 and the un55b8500 . Im really not interested in the 3d displays at this time on some of the new models coming out either just thought i'd through that out there. Ok guys thats pretty much were im at and I appreciate in advance of all the pros and cons of my choices in advance.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Dude, that's a killer budget. Firstly, just for full disclosure, we are very pro plasma at AH. Secondly, I have a problem with calling those LEDs, because only the backlight is LED; it's still LCD. I remember the first time I saw a Vizio ad for TruLED. A more apt name might be FalseLED. Just because my LCOS based projector uses a mercury lamp, I don't call it a TruMERCURY projector. Do you call your RPTV a Mercury TV? Sorry for ranting, lol.

Secondly, you can actually afford the Kuro KRP panels for the pricing they've been had for many months. The only question if you can find any at this point. The 500/600M are the same panel as the 111/151/141, all of them with different feature sets. The most important thing the KRPs are missing is the ControlCAL ISFccc, but you can actually get a patch for that.

The V10 G15 G10 S1 all use the same panel. From there, certain things like consumer level pic controls, THX mode, OTB performance. If you even got the cheapest S1, and had it pro calibrated, it's very likely to look identical to even the V10. However, two caveats. I think that 24p playback without 3:2 pulldown on the V10 only is certainly worth something, especially with how big you're going, but $1,200 gets pretty hard to swallow there. I cannot say for certain, but I am strongly led to believe that there will be video processing differences, if only going by what I saw with the previous generation.

The last thing I want to throw out there is if you've ever considered a projector. You can get a Panasonic 4000 for $2k, which is LOADED with features (or the Epson 6500 for a bit more), and is a serious sweet spot value. For the time being, you can use a $250 DaLite High Power screen to pulldown in front of whatever TV you have, perhaps a 42" S1 for, say, $700. Total is then $3k. If the HP screen ever disappoints you, just start saving up for a tab-tensioned screen, but more likely at around $2k, depending on the final size. Just something to chew on. I still have this nagging feeling that even most AHers have no idea how good PJs have become, for very affordable prices.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I have to agree with jostenmeat on all accounts. Go for the plasma if a projector isn't feasable (daytime viewing in a non light controlled room).
Check around and you can still find deals on the Pioneer units. Here are a few places to check.
abt had the 151fd today for $4100
https://clevelandplasma.com/ These folks had a few Pios left the other day. May be gone now.
Or try Robert @ Value Electronics. He posts here sometimes.
http://valueelectronics.com/

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58613

There are others, also, so keep looking. Also bear in mind that the next gen Pannys will have Kuro tech in them according to the reports coming out of CES. Yay!

TheFactor

TheFactor

Found Some Pioneer plasmas for around 3999 new but I just a read review someone said they loved the tv it was the best picture he ever experienced for the first month and then the anti glare film they use on the screen started discolor from the heat and he contacted pioneer and they wouldnt do anything about it . Now keep in mind this was just one review on a website so I have to take that into consideration but I must admit that does have me concerned . Im thinking early on the V10 in either the 58" or 65" might be a good one for me .

TheFactor

TheFactor

I have to agree with jostenmeat on all accounts. Go for the plasma if a projector isn't feasable (daytime viewing in a non light controlled room).
Check around and you can still find deals on the Pioneer units. Here are a few places to check.
abt had the 151fd today for $4100
https://clevelandplasma.com/ These folks had a few Pios left the other day. May be gone now.
Or try Robert @ Value Electronics. He posts here sometimes.
http://valueelectronics.com/

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58613

There are others, also, so keep looking. Also bear in mind that the next gen Pannys will have Kuro tech in them according to the reports coming out of CES. Yay!
Thanks for the links and advice !!!

TheFactor

TheFactor

Dude, that's a killer budget. Firstly, just for full disclosure, we are very pro plasma at AH. Secondly, I have a problem with calling those LEDs, because only the backlight is LED; it's still LCD. I remember the first time I saw a Vizio ad for TruLED. A more apt name might be FalseLED. Just because my LCOS based projector uses a mercury lamp, I don't call it a TruMERCURY projector. Do you call your RPTV a Mercury TV? Sorry for ranting, lol.

Secondly, you can actually afford the Kuro KRP panels for the pricing they've been had for many months. The only question if you can find any at this point. The 500/600M are the same panel as the 111/151/141, all of them with different feature sets. The most important thing the KRPs are missing is the ControlCAL ISFccc, but you can actually get a patch for that.

The V10 G15 G10 S1 all use the same panel. From there, certain things like consumer level pic controls, THX mode, OTB performance. If you even got the cheapest S1, and had it pro calibrated, it's very likely to look identical to even the V10. However, two caveats. I think that 24p playback without 3:2 pulldown on the V10 only is certainly worth something, especially with how big you're going, but $1,200 gets pretty hard to swallow there. I cannot say for certain, but I am strongly led to believe that there will be video processing differences, if only going by what I saw with the previous generation.

The last thing I want to throw out there is if you've ever considered a projector. You can get a Panasonic 4000 for $2k, which is LOADED with features (or the Epson 6500 for a bit more), and is a serious sweet spot value. For the time being, you can use a $250 DaLite High Power screen to pulldown in front of whatever TV you have, perhaps a 42" S1 for, say, $700. Total is then $3k. If the HP screen ever disappoints you, just start saving up for a tab-tensioned screen, but more likely at around $2k, depending on the final size. Just something to chew on. I still have this nagging feeling that even most AHers have no idea how good PJs have become, for very affordable prices.
Thank you for the advice and all the ideas , I dont think a PJ unless I had a dedicated HT room would work for me. I think im really leaning towards a V10 if I go with a plasma. Im just concerned about the heat they throw off .

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Thank you for the advice and all the ideas , I dont think a PJ unless I had a dedicated HT room would work for me. I think im really leaning towards a V10 if I go with a plasma. Im just concerned about the heat they throw off .
The new Pannys don't put out nearly as much heat as plasmas did in the past. My X1 is cooler to the touch than both my Marantz and Onkyo receivers. My dad's S1 runs just as cool even though it's a lot bigger (42" vs. 58"). His couple year old Vizio plasma does get pretty hot, but it's not nearly as efficient as the Pannys.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
I love my Panny 58V10!! After about 100 hours or so, it looks magnificent! I have entered the SM and applied some offsets and it looks very very close to a calibration IMHO.
Btw, the V10's run the coolest out of all the plasmas that BB sells, including the beloved Kuro line up :D

TheFactor

TheFactor

I love my Panny 58V10!! After about 100 hours or so, it looks magnificent! I have entered the SM and applied some offsets and it looks very very close to a calibration IMHO.
Btw, the V10's run the coolest out of all the plasmas that BB sells, including the beloved Kuro line up :D
Thats great news and good to hear !!! Do you mean that after 100 hours you could change some settings after break in to give you a better picture or does the pic just look better after hours of use ? Also is your V10 on a stand or wall mounted . My display will be on a stand , do you have any pics of your baby :D P.s if I do go with the v10 whitch is what im leaning towards I might need some break in and setup tips : )

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Found Some Pioneer plasmas for around 3999 new but I just a read review someone said they loved the tv it was the best picture he ever experienced for the first month and then the anti glare film they use on the screen started discolor from the heat and he contacted pioneer and they wouldnt do anything about it . Now keep in mind this was just one review on a website so I have to take that into consideration but I must admit that does have me concerned . Im thinking early on the V10 in either the 58" or 65" might be a good one for me .

Hmmm, that's the first I have heard about the film coming off. I personally wouldn't worry about it. I have had a 151fd for about 8 months and no problems. Pic just keeps getting better.:) Makes me wonder if he used something to clean the screen. That's a no-no.
At the end of the day, get what you feel comfortable with. For me, it was a no brainer to go with the Pio, especially at the price I got it for:D I don't think you will go wrong with a Panny or Pio.
FWIW, I steered a friend of mine to a Panny and it's gone out twice in a year. He got lucky and it went out 2 days:eek: before his warranty expired. He's getting a new panel. You can get a lemon with any of them. Both have great service records as far as I can tell.;)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Hmmm, . I personally wouldn't worry about it. I have had a 151fd for about 8 months and no problems. Pic just keeps getting better.:) Makes me wonder if he used something to clean the screen. That's a no-no.
At the end of the day, get what you feel comfortable with. For me, it was a no brainer to go with the Pio, especially at the price I got it for:D I don't think you will go wrong with a Panny or Pio.
FWIW, I steered a friend of mine to a Panny and it's gone out twice in a year. He got lucky and it went out 2 days:eek: before his warranty expired. He's getting a new panel. You can get a lemon with any of them. Both have great service records as far as I can tell.;)
Agreed : )

Last edited:
T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Be aware that the link shows the 6020 for that price, which is not an Elite. The Elite is a better tv. It has better electronics, a lot more adjustability plus a two year in home warranty vs. one year for the standard Kuro. Just make sure you buy the Pioneer from an authorized dealer so your warranty will be good.
Yeah, like I said; at the end of the day get what you feel comfortable with and just sit back and enjoy it!:)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Be aware that the link shows the 6020 for that price, which is not an Elite. The Elite is a better tv. It has better electronics, a lot more adjustability plus a two year in home warranty vs. one year for the standard Kuro. Just make sure you buy the Pioneer from an authorized dealer so your warranty will be good.
Yeah, like I said; at the end of the day get what you feel comfortable with and just sit back and enjoy it!:)
Oh thanks didnt even notice that it wasnt a Elite :eek: Im going to delete that previous post just because I dont want to put a dark cloud above such a great tv from one viewer and that wasnt my intention I just wanted you to see that . Anyway The elite are like double the price so im thinking a v10 should be better for me since I have beer breath and champagne taste :D

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
I got my 58V10 for a great price, they are indeed an excellent value!
Yes, the PQ improves after the set breaks in a bit. Thats with or without any SM tweaks. My V10 is wall mounted, but the stand that comes with it is very sturdy and attractive. Let us know what you decide!

TheFactor

TheFactor

I got my 58V10 for a great price, they are indeed an excellent value!
Yes, the PQ improves after the set breaks in a bit. Thats with or without any SM tweaks. My V10 is wall mounted, but the stand that comes with it is very sturdy and attractive. Let us know what you decide!
For sure i'll keep everyone updated its a tuff choice for sure but I think plasma is at the top now and moved up one notch from the LED/LCD . Im really liking the V10 .I think this weekend im going to go out and check them all out for some demos and get a closer look now that im getting closer to pulling the trigger :D Thanks much for your input!!!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned

The anti-glare discolored.. Hmm pure BS
Thats great news and good to hear !!! Do you mean that after 100 hours you could change some settings after break in to give you a better picture or does the pic just look better after hours of use ? Also is your V10 on a stand or wall mounted . My display will be on a stand , do you have any pics of your baby :D P.s if I do go with the v10 whitch is what im leaning towards I might need some break in and setup tips : )
After initial break in is when you want to make your first calibration, then check it about every 5k hours and make changes as needed.

TheFactor

TheFactor

The anti-glare discolored.. Hmm pure BS

After initial break in is when you want to make your first calibration, then check it about every 5k hours and make changes as needed.
Thanks !!!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You're welcome, TheFactor. I WAS going to convince you otherwise, LOL, until I looked at your pics, and noticed the very large window there. Yeah, that eliminates a wall mounted tv + PJ. Shucks.

I can guarantee any plasma you get will seem cool as a cucumber next to most any large RPTV. Even last year's Panas run very cool compared to RPTVs. (My brother has both plasma and RPTV, and temp difference is not even close).

Just curious though, what is it about the JVC that you're not liking at this moment? What are you going to do with it? Have you tried a new bulb? I am not saying that a new tv won't be a significant improvement by any means, but I'm just curious. Cheers.

TheFactor

TheFactor

You're welcome, TheFactor. I WAS going to convince you otherwise, LOL, until I looked at your pics, and noticed the very large window there. Yeah, that eliminates a wall mounted tv + PJ. Shucks.

I can guarantee any plasma you get will seem cool as a cucumber next to most any large RPTV. Even last year's Panas run very cool compared to RPTVs. (My brother has both plasma and RPTV, and temp difference is not even close).

Just curious though, what is it about the JVC that you're not liking at this moment? What are you going to do with it? Have you tried a new bulb? I am not saying that a new tv won't be a significant improvement by any means, but I'm just curious. Cheers.
Well the main reason is I saw some led/lcd displays and plasmas needless to say I was very impressed. Theres nothing really wrong with my JVC but to me it looks old school lol . I really like the slimness/sleekness of the LCD and plasmas :) But I think pic quality is ther main reason. One thing I dont like about DLP is any straight edge or box shaped figure has a bowed to it and not straight when its a few inches from the side probably because of the projection and its not just mine all the DLP's i've saw do that including my my friends 67" samsung its not real noticeable but I have a good eye for straight edges I guess from doing a lot of finish carpentry work over the years lol when I told my friend he said oh mine doesnt do that and I told him they all did it and so we went to house and he measured it when a menu screen was on and sure enough it was about a fat 1/4 of a inch diff fom the center to the top or bottom corner so he was like wow your wright . Now granit your not going to notice during a movie or very seldom unless your me probably . Anyway its a great display other than the normal DLP characteristics . I still have the original box and owners manual and I'll probably be selling it pretty cheap to a friend at work and he should be really happy with it . Anyway thats my story and im sticking to it ;)

TheFactor

TheFactor

It looks like my local BB and all in my state are out of stock on all Panny v10's :confused: Im wondering if the next shipments will be the 2010 models . Im going to have to check it out this weekend and maybe take a trip to video only and see whats going on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis