Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Was this also filmed in IMAX size film? Or, it will be just presented there as a regular 3D. Star Trek in IMAX that I saw had terrible video.
I was watching the entire frame when the film started, the way the picture curved in at the corners, does that indicate IMAX camera work?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The wife and I saw this last night. We went to one theater, bought tickets and were waiting, then we discovered it wasn't in 3D!! So we got our money back and went to another theater that doesn't have the best sound, but at least they were showing it in 3D. I'd give the movie an A- to B+. I'd say it's definitely better than Star Trek.

We saw Up in 3D at the same theater and it was gimmicky at best. The glasses annoyed the hell out of me and it didn't really add to the experience. With Avatar, I ended up forgetting I was wearing glasses after a while. The 3D is VERY well done.

You definitely need to see this one in the theater, and you MUST see it in 3D.
The 3D is what I was most curious about. I also saw Up in 3D, and I didn't think it was worth the effort there. Thanks. I took the chance of "quickly skimming" this thread finally, as I was emboldened by how the Inglourious Basterds thread was good in that regard, then all of a sudden I notice some political stuff going on, and so now I think I'll just respond here, and not visit this thread again until I finally have watched it, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Was this also filmed in IMAX size film? Or, it will be just presented there as a regular 3D. Star Trek in IMAX that I saw had terrible video.
I saw it in 2-D and it looked much like any other film I have seen as of late. However, the reaslism and sound effects were certainly top-notch to say the least. Plan to go see it on the IMAX-3D screen very soon. Tickets are $14, so I got to save my pennies. :eek::p:eek:

Cheers,

Phil

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
As for Cameron being anti-capitalist, just what could possibly be more capitalistic than raising something on the order of 275 million on a gamble that might reap a big profit for investors? That's the heart and soul of capitalism as I see it.
Exactly why he is a hypocrite. Look, He is a talented director. The Abyss and T1 and T2 are some of my favorite movies. I am just getting sick of propaganda being disguised as entertainment from him or anyone else. I am not going to give these people my money anymore if they can't keep their politics out what is supposed to be a family movie.

If I want politics in a movie then I will go see that type of movie. If you think I am alone in this you are mistaken. I could post links to many forums were people feel exactly as I do and won't go see this film. Will it make money? We will see. I don't think it will be the hit they expect, and I bet the ticket sales don't hold out. 13 year old girls made titanic a hit and they won't be seeing this movie like they did that one.

I think the technology is cool though and I am a pissed that can't go to the theater and enjoy it. I would probably get up and walk out with the first sign of conservative bashing. I can't wait for someone else to use this technology; maybe "Enders Game" done like this. Now that wouldn't that be sweet? :)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Now if you please, keep your political agendas to yourselves.
That is exactly what I would like to say to Cameron about this movie. :D

Now Seth, please don't refer to me in the third person. If you are going to talk about me then just use my name. I don't care really. I am not afraid of who I am and what I believe in. :)

And in this case, it is Cameron with the political agenda not me. I am only pointing out what he himself said about his own movie. Why does everyone jump on the messenger:rolleyes:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Exactly why he is a hypocrite. Look, He is a talented director. The Abyss and T1 and T2 are some of my favorite movies. I am just getting sick of propaganda being disguised as entertainment from him or anyone else. I am not going to give these people my money anymore if they can't keep their politics out what is supposed to be a family movie.

If I want politics in a movie then I will go see that type of movie. If you think I am alone in this you are mistaken. I could post links to many forums were people feel exactly as I do and won't go see this film. Will it make money? We will see. I don't think it will be the hit they expect, and I bet the ticket sales don't hold out. 13 year old girls made titanic a hit and they won't be seeing this movie like they did that one.

I think the technology is cool though and I am a pissed that can't go to the theater and enjoy it. I would probably get up and walk out with the first sign of conservative bashing. I can't wait for someone else to use this technology; maybe "Enders Game" done like this. Now that wouldn't that be sweet? :)
I know I am in no position of authority to tell anyone what to do. I did ask politely that this kind of discussion be left out of a thread about a film. If you feel so strongly about it I'm sure there is a place to discuss it, I just don't believe that place is here. If you want to carry on a political discussion with a person in particular you could PM them. If they want to read it and respond they can.

I have no interest in reading political rehtoric, especially on a non political thread. Much like religion, I don't take every opportunity I get to shove it down peoples throats, especially after they've specified they do not wish to discuss it.

I'm pretty sure many folks will want to come to read this thread because they are interested in this film and want to read other people's thoughts on the film. I know I want to read what people have to say in regard to this film because I thought it was very well done in nearly every facet.

So if you don't like what the movie stands for, that's your opinion. You are certainly entitled to it. You've said your piece and I think if others read it and share your view they may be disturbed about it as well, that's their prerogitive to do have those feelings. I don't believe it needs to be discussed here are pounded toward anyone just because they disagree with your point of view.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you are going to talk about me then just use my name. I don't care really. I am not afraid of who I am and what I believe in. :)
I didn't single you out because you weren't the only one.;) There's absolutely nothing wrong with believing in something.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I know I am in no position of authority to tell anyone what to do. I did ask politely that this kind of discussion be left out of a thread about a film. If you feel so strongly about it I'm sure there is a place to discuss it, I just don't believe that place is here. If you want to carry on a political discussion with a person in particular you could PM them. If they want to read it and respond they can.

I have no interest in reading political rehtoric, especially on a non political thread. Much like religion, I don't take every opportunity I get to shove it down peoples throats, especially after they've specified they do not wish to discuss it.

I'm pretty sure many folks will want to come to read this thread because they are interested in this film and want to read other people's thoughts on the film. I know I want to read what people have to say in regard to this film because I thought it was very well done in nearly every facet.

So if you don't like what the movie stands for, that's your opinion. You are certainly entitled to it. You've said your piece and I think if others read it and share your view they may be disturbed about it as well, that's their prerogitive to do have those feelings. I don't believe it needs to be discussed here are pounded toward anyone just because they disagree with your point of view.
Fair enough but I have to disagree with part of it. I think the topic of the film is fair game as the director certainly thinks it is. We are talking about Avatar after all and Cameron himself makes no bones about what he intended the film to be about. If he did not want people to point out the politics in his movie then he should of left them OUT OF THE MOVIE. Do you agree?

If I sound pissed I am a little. I am a HUGE sci-fi fan and the fact that I now can't go and enjoy a movie that I was actually looking forward to seeing makes me mad. I am mad at Cameron. But you are right I said why I won't see the movie and I won't say it again.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My wife and I just saw AVATAR in 3D IMAX.

I liked this movie a lot. I thought the story was great, acting was great, sound was great, and, of course, special effects was absolutely amazing.

My wife concurred; she thought it was awesome.

I will definitely buy AVATAR on blu-ray.:D

Even if I had seen AVATAR in 2D, I would still have liked it.

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
I liked this movie a lot. I thought the story was great, acting was great, sound was great, and, of course, special effects was absolutely amazing.

My wife concurred; she thought it was awesome.

I will definitely buy AVATAR on blu-ray.:D

Even if I had seen AVATAR in 2D, I would still have liked it.
Also concur. I couldn't stop thinking about this movie all day after I saw it. I left the theater, and I wasn't sure what to think, Avatar being my first 3D movie. The first thing I thought, was man, I'm kinda bummed I have to leave. I didn't notice the length at all. .

I'm not sure what I expected with the 3D, but it wasn't in your face, which in retrospect I'm happy about. I think in my head I initially had a vision of arrows and birds flying out of the screen, but its not that way, I think the 3D creates an added depth that helps create the fantastic world for the viewer, but doesn't try and throw it in yor face with campy effects.

I decided I will not see another 3D film (at least in auditorium 10) at Potomac Yards Theater in Alexandria. The screen was fine, but the sound didnt seem to have the dynamic range I expect from a great movie experience. The lows from explosions and things crashing were disappointing. Did anyone have a different experience? Was it my theater or the movie?

Story-wise, I'm disappointed that they couldn't come up with something better than "unobtanium" for a name. (I'm curious what this rock can do that it is so valuable)

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic
good read in this thread. i havent seen it and hadnt planned on it. because i dont like cameron, i like his early work but thats about it. i agree with many on the political points of this movie and how he shouldve left that mess at home. however thats not the reason i wont be seeing it.

i feel like ive seen it already in the battle for terra. (can those that have seen both comment?)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I am intrigued about the new technology in this movie, but I will wait until someone without an agenda decides to put it into a movie that I can enjoy.
Does such a person exist in this world?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Buckeye is right. It is an anti-war, anti-bush/cheny, anti-capitolist, environmental left wing piece of junk from a silly lefty named Cameron who has not done anything good since T2. I love 3D but I will NEVER see this one.
Now tell us how you really feel.;):D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Now tell us how you really feel.;):D
No I better not; I might hurt someones feelings or god forbid offend someone:rolleyes:

I think what irks me the most is that if I had posted saying how much I admire Cameron for voicing his opinion on the environment and making a parable about evil white man moving in and destroying, and taking while displacing another race and how he parallels the movie about Bush and his imperialistic ways, I would have been called a hero and a visionary for recognizing this important piece of film making.:confused:

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
good read in this thread. i havent seen it and hadnt planned on it. because i dont like cameron, i like his early work but thats about it. i agree with many on the political points of this movie and how he shouldve left that mess at home. however thats not the reason i wont be seeing it.

i feel like ive seen it already in the battle for terra. (can those that have seen both comment?)
hahah, It looks like Cameron ripped this movie off. I have not seen either but it looks very similar from the trailer. Maybe he is not visionary he says he is. lol.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
don't forget that James Cameron wrote the initial script for this movie in 1994.
Anyone ever seen that script? Lucas said he had star wars all planned out too, and we know what crock of crapola that was. He made that stuff up as he went along.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis