Signed up for the Shudder Channel, time for some horror movie watchin'

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I enjoy the occasional horror movie, but I watched all the ones that I wanted to see on Amazon Prime and Netflix. I really like a good horror movie, but I am pretty picky about what horror movies I watch since so many of them are so bad. I just subscribed to the Shudder channel because they are streaming a handful that I am interested in. I will probably burn through everything I want to watch pretty quickly. Anyway, I figure I would just use this thread to let people know what movies I liked and what to stay away from on Shudder.

The first movie I just watched was called 'The Cleansing Hour.' It is about a live streaming web show that purports to show real exorcisms. However, they are all staged for the cynical producer and star in order to make money. This being a horror movie, you can guess what happens next: their latest broadcast ends up involving a genuine demonic possession that takes them by surprise. I don't generally like the possession subgenre (with a few exceptions), but I thought the premise for this one could be fun. I actually enjoyed this film because it didn't take itself too seriously. In fact, it was pretty comedic and had some real laughs. The jokes aren't in-your-face comedy but rather comes from the clash between jaded internet culture with flaky LA characters against a real demonic possession. I think it functioned pretty well as a horror-comedy and is worth checking out of the premise sounds appealing to you.

'The Cleansing Hour' reminded me of a pretty good possession movie called 'The Last Exorcism' which was a found footage movie about a similarly fraudulent exorcist-practicing pastor who unexpectedly comes up against a real possession. 'The Last Exorcism' was not comedic though, and very different in tone if not in story when compared to 'The Cleansing Hour.' As I said before, I don't really care about possession movies, as I find them tediously bound by the cliches established by 'The Exorcist,' the first and by far best of them. What I liked about 'The Last Exorcism' was the character arc of the fraud priest. I thought the performance was terrific and was actually affecting by the end of the film, even though the rest of the movie was a bit generic for horror movies but not badly made. Horror fans should definitely check out 'The Last Exorcist' if they get a chance. It would make an interesting double bill with 'The Cleansing Hour' although I don't know where 'The Last Exorcist' would be streaming from if it is hosted on any streaming service.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I remember seeing “The Last Exorcism” in theaters. I enjoyed it. We’re trying to watch a horror movie/show every day this month to celebrate the Halloween season. Some good, some not so good but it’s all in fun. #Alive on Netflix was a standout so far. Anybody else put up their “Nightmare Before Christmas” tree yet?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I enjoy the occasional horror movie, but I watched all the ones that I wanted to see on Amazon Prime and Netflix. I really like a good horror movie, but I am pretty picky about what horror movies I watch since so many of them are so bad. I just subscribed to the Shudder channel because they are streaming a handful that I am interested in. I will probably burn through everything I want to watch pretty quickly. Anyway, I figure I would just use this thread to let people know what movies I liked and what to stay away from on Shudder.

The first movie I just watched was called 'The Cleansing Hour.' It is about a live streaming web show that purports to show real exorcisms. However, they are all staged for the cynical producer and star in order to make money. This being a horror movie, you can guess what happens next: their latest broadcast ends up involving a genuine demonic possession that takes them by surprise. I don't generally like the possession subgenre (with a few exceptions), but I thought the premise for this one could be fun. I actually enjoyed this film because it didn't take itself too seriously. In fact, it was pretty comedic and had some real laughs. The jokes aren't in-your-face comedy but rather comes from the clash between jaded internet culture with flaky LA characters against a real demonic possession. I think it functioned pretty well as a horror-comedy and is worth checking out of the premise sounds appealing to you.

'The Cleansing Hour' reminded me of a pretty good possession movie called 'The Last Exorcism' which was a found footage movie about a similarly fraudulent exorcist-practicing pastor who unexpectedly comes up against a real possession. 'The Last Exorcism' was not comedic though, and very different in tone if not in story when compared to 'The Cleansing Hour.' As I said before, I don't really care about possession movies, as I find them tediously bound by the cliches established by 'The Exorcist,' the first and by far best of them. What I liked about 'The Last Exorcism' was the character arc of the fraud priest. I thought the performance was terrific and was actually affecting by the end of the film, even though the rest of the movie was a bit generic for horror movies but not badly made. Horror fans should definitely check out 'The Last Exorcist' if they get a chance. It would make an interesting double bill with 'The Cleansing Hour' although I don't know where 'The Last Exorcist' would be streaming from if it is hosted on any streaming service.
You should watch Mandy and Color out of Space. Both are with Nic Cage. You will not be disappointed. Both are very good. Hidden gem for Nic cage. His performance in that movie is top notch.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You should watch Mandy and Color out of Space. Both are with Nic Cage. You will not be disappointed. Both are very good. Hidden gem for Nic cage. His performance in that movie is top notch.
Those are actually some of the movies that I subscribed to Shudder for. I will definitely get around to watching those.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What defines a Nick Cage performance as top notch, tho? Full Nick or subdued Nick?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
What defines a Nick Cage performance as top notch, tho? Full Nick or subdued Nick?
He's full on Batshit crazy Nic Cage. Mandy is a revenge movie. Nic cage does an excellent job doing the revenge. And it works for him. He does it so well. Mandy especially. He was made for that role in the movie. In Color out of space he does a really good job with that role as well. He does have to go a little nuts in it, but it's not to the level of Mandy.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yesterday I watched 'Deadtectives.' This has a somewhat similar premise to 'The Cleansing Hour' and uses the same plot that has been used in many horror movies over the last decade or so. A group of people who make a supposedly real show of paranormal investigators but are, of course, unbelieving frauds, run into low ratings, and are sent to cover a very haunted house in Mexico to bring their ratings back up. Naturally, the house is really haunted, and all kinds of mayhem ensue. This one is much more of an outright comedy than horror. In fact, the comedy is pretty broad, and this movie itself is relatively tame, so it turned out to be a horror-comedy for younger audiences like young teens. Needless to say, it wasn't exactly scary for a veteran horror movie watcher. It had some amusing moments and it also had a lot of heart and energy, so I didn't hate it, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I think the trailer made it seem like more of a horror movie than it really was. I would say it's a fine movie for a young horror buff who has outgrown RL Stine 'Goosebumps' type scary movies but probably shouldn't be watching really bloody or dark movies just yet. Perfect for maybe an 11 or 12-year-old.

As I said, that premise of a fraud paranormal TV show crew running into a real haunting has been used quite often, especially in found-footage type horror movies. The first movie to do this plot is still the best execution of the idea I have seen, a movie called 'Grave Encounters.' 'Grave Encounters' is certainly one of the better found-footage movies out there. It has some funny moments but is far more of a horror movie than comedy and is not really a horror-comedy. The horror is a tad over-the-top when compared to more restrained found-footage horror movies like 'The Blair Witch Project' and 'Paranormal Activity,' so it isn't quite as scary, but it still has lots of great scenes. Those who watch it now may find some of the scares a bit cliche since they have been done to death ever since, but they should keep in mind that many of that stuff was seen for the first time in 'Grave Encounters.' "Grave Encounters' invented the tropes that other low-budget horror filmmakers would rely on again and again and again. Nonetheless, I don't think that any of its many imitators were able to match the intensity and skill of 'Grave Encounters.' It's a really fun horror movie, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a breezy horror movie that isn't too deep or dark.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yesterday I watched 'Deadtectives.' This has a somewhat similar premise to 'The Cleansing Hour' and uses the same plot that has been used in many horror movies over the last decade or so. A group of people who make a supposedly real show of paranormal investigators but are, of course, unbelieving frauds, run into low ratings, and are sent to cover a very haunted house in Mexico to bring their ratings back up. Naturally, the house is really haunted, and all kinds of mayhem ensue. This one is much more of an outright comedy than horror. In fact, the comedy is pretty broad, and this movie itself is relatively tame, so it turned out to be a horror-comedy for younger audiences like young teens. Needless to say, it wasn't exactly scary for a veteran horror movie watcher. It had some amusing moments and it also had a lot of heart and energy, so I didn't hate it, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I think the trailer made it seem like more of a horror movie than it really was. I would say it's a fine movie for a young horror buff who has outgrown RL Stine 'Goosebumps' type scary movies but probably shouldn't be watching really bloody or dark movies just yet. Perfect for maybe an 11 or 12-year-old.

As I said, that premise of a fraud paranormal TV show crew running into a real haunting has been used quite often, especially in found-footage type horror movies. The first movie to do this plot is still the best execution of the idea I have seen, a movie called 'Grave Encounters.' 'Grave Encounters' is certainly one of the better found-footage movies out there. It has some funny moments but is far more of a horror movie than comedy and is not really a horror-comedy. The horror is a tad over-the-top when compared to more restrained found-footage horror movies like 'The Blair Witch Project' and 'Paranormal Activity,' so it isn't quite as scary, but it still has lots of great scenes. Those who watch it now may find some of the scares a bit cliche since they have been done to death ever since, but they should keep in mind that many of that stuff was seen for the first time in 'Grave Encounters.' "Grave Encounters' invented the tropes that other low-budget horror filmmakers would rely on again and again and again. Nonetheless, I don't think that any of its many imitators were able to match the intensity and skill of 'Grave Encounters.' It's a really fun horror movie, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a breezy horror movie that isn't too deep or dark.
I love B-movie or worse, horror movies. They are the best. You should check out the movie Terrifier. It used to be on Netflix, but I think it's gone. You can rent it on Prime for $3/4. Totally worth it. I watched the directors first movie called All Hallows Eve. It wasn't bad.

This Oct. I watched Midsommar. Darn good cult movie. Though I enjoyed Hereditary more. From the same director. I would say the creepiest horror movie I've seen is probably The Conjuring. With surround sound, that movie is legit bone chilling. Its not like the gory halloween stuff, but its that demon, quiet, you don't know what the heck is there type horror. It was done really well. I have not seen the Conjuring 2 and I hear there is going to be a conjuring 3.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I love B-movie or worse, horror movies. They are the best. You should check out the movie Terrifier. It used to be on Netflix, but I think it's gone. You can rent it on Prime for $3/4. Totally worth it. I watched the directors first movie called All Hallows Eve. It wasn't bad.

This Oct. I watched Midsommar. Darn good cult movie. Though I enjoyed Hereditary more. From the same director. I would say the creepiest horror movie I've seen is probably The Conjuring. With surround sound, that movie is legit bone chilling. Its not like the gory halloween stuff, but its that demon, quiet, you don't know what the heck is there type horror. It was done really well. I have not seen the Conjuring 2 and I hear there is going to be a conjuring 3.
Midsommmer is great, as is Hereditary. Few movies are as creepy as Hereditary, that is a modern classic.

The Conjuring is so well made. It is a very traditional haunted house movie and doesn't do anything original in terms of story, but the direction and set pieces and scares are so well executed that I think it is the best movie of that style. Insidious is a very good precursor to Conjuring. They are expertly crafted haunted house movies, but they don't add up too much in the end except for a collection of very well-made scenes since the story and characters are so routine. Nonetheless, I have an appreciation for how superbly the tension is constructed in the scares. The director is a master of building up suspense and then going in for the jump scare. No one does that as good as James Wan, he really earns his jump scares.

The Conjuring 2 is not nearly as good, in my opinion. It has a few creepy scenes in the first half but it goes so far over-the-top by the end that it just turns into a lot of loud noise and strobe lights, and you just can't wait for it to be over with. I had the same problem with the original Poltergeist movie from 1982. I know a lot of people like it, but it went a bit too crazy to be scary by the end. I think movies are scarier when they are restrained. What isn't being shown is always scarier than what is being shown.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Enjoyed all of those movies. Enjoyed all of the Insidious movie as well. Some were better than others. The trailer for Mandy looks crazy. I need to get on it and watch it. I love me some Nic Cage. He needs to pay off the IRS so he takes anything that comes his way these days. But, hey, you throw enough darts at the board and eventually you hit the bullseye. He's got some good stuff under his belt. Some good movies, too.:p "I lost my hand, I lost my bride! Johnny still has his hand, Johnny still has his bride! You want me to take my heartbreak put it away and forget?!"

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Enjoyed all of those movies. Enjoyed all of the Insidious movie as well. Some were better than others. The trailer for Mandy looks crazy. I need to get on it and watch it. I love me some Nic Cage. He needs to pay off the IRS so he takes anything that comes his way these days. But, hey, you throw enough darts at the board and eventually you hit the bullseye. He's got some good stuff under his belt. Some good movies, too.:p "I lost my hand, I lost my bride! Johnny still has his hand, Johnny still has his bride! You want me to take my heartbreak put it away and forget?!"
Mandy is awesome. It's really a two party movie. Its two hours long, first hour is a slow build up, 2nd hour is all octane bloody revenge. Cage was made for it. At the middle point in the movie when Cage really shines, part of me was thinking "I'm not sure if that is acting. Looks so natural for him."

You should also check out Color out of Space. Another good Cage horror flick.

I can't imagine in the future once Cage is gone, if some studio will release a Nic Cage super movie ultimate edition pack of every single movie he's ever been in. "Comes with over 300 movies!"

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Midsommmer is great, as is Hereditary. Few movies are as creepy as Hereditary, that is a modern classic.

The Conjuring is so well made. It is a very traditional haunted house movie and doesn't do anything original in terms of story, but the direction and set pieces and scares are so well executed that I think it is the best movie of that style. Insidious is a very good precursor to Conjuring. They are expertly crafted haunted house movies, but they don't add up too much in the end except for a collection of very well-made scenes since the story and characters are so routine. Nonetheless, I have an appreciation for how superbly the tension is constructed in the scares. The director is a master of building up suspense and then going in for the jump scare. No one does that as good as James Wan, he really earns his jump scares.

The Conjuring 2 is not nearly as good, in my opinion. It has a few creepy scenes in the first half but it goes so far over-the-top by the end that it just turns into a lot of loud noise and strobe lights, and you just can't wait for it to be over with. I had the same problem with the original Poltergeist movie from 1982. I know a lot of people like it, but it went a bit too crazy to be scary by the end. I think movies are scarier when they are restrained. What isn't being shown is always scarier than what is being shown.
My usual Oct. movie watching habit is watching all new horror/halloween movies i've never seen the first couple weekends, then the final couple of weekends I hit my Halloween staples. Which are Evil Dead 1&2, Blair Witch, Interview with a Vampire and Sleepy Hollow. Every other year I throw in The Ring and Stir of Echoes. If I find the time the movie Ravenous is also really good.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My usual Oct. movie watching habit is watching all new horror/halloween movies i've never seen the first couple weekends, then the final couple of weekends I hit my Halloween staples. Which are Evil Dead 1&2, Blair Witch, Interview with a Vampire and Sleepy Hollow. Every other year I throw in The Ring and Stir of Echoes. If I find the time the movie Ravenous is also really good.
All great movies. I do prefer the Japanese version of The Ring, but the American one isn't as bad as many other American remakes of Japanese horror films.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh yes, the staples. "Trick 'r Treat" anyone? I really like that movie.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Tonight I watched 'We Go On.' This was a relatively sedate story-driven horror movie. It concerns a guy who has a bunch of phobias that all boil down to not wanting to die, so he is basically very afraid of death. He is so afraid of the finality of death that he takes out a large newspaper ad that offers $30k to anyone who can definitively prove the existence of an afterlife. Of course, he gets flooded with replies, but most of them are crackpots. After he has just about given up hope of finding one that is authentic, he responds to a very strange reply, and, this being a horror movie, he ends up getting more than he bargained for.

I enjoyed 'We Go On,' it was a bit more grown-up than most horror films yet it still had some eerie scenes. It is small scale and quieter horror movie that doesn't have a large cast, but the story is intriguing, and the characters have more depth and relatability than what is found in most horror movies, in fact, I was surprised at how sensitive the movie was for characterization. It's uncommon for a horror movie; most horror movies are populated by fairly shallow people. 'We Go On' wasn't all that creepy or scary, so those looking for more visceral scares would probably be a bit disappointed, however, I was engaged by the steady pace and involving story and characters. I am not going to tell anyone that this is a 'must-see,' but it is certainly better crafted than most horror movies, and it was made by people who clearly had a story to tell rather than people who wanted to make a quick buck with a lazy cash-grab. I am going to say that 'We Go On' is a fine way to spend 90 minutes.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Finally watched “Mandy” last night, crazy s#%t. They actually captured the look and feel of the time period. Classic Cage! Watched “Host” tonight. They made the most of very little. Watch it with the lights off.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Tonight I watched 'Terrified,' an Argentinian horror movie about not just a haunted house but a haunted neighborhood. This one was pretty intense. The build-up and pay-offs were really well-staged. It reminded me somewhat of 'Ju-on,' except 'Terrified' was made in a bit more conventional style. I think people who liked 'The Ring' or 'The Conjuring' would do well to give this one a try. It has some real nerve-wracking scenes. I don't want to go into too much more detail about it since it wouldn't be easy to do so without spoilers; I recommend going into this one knowing as little as possible beforehand, so don't watch trailers or read any reviews. This one had a whole bunch of effectively creepy scenes.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Real life isn't scary enough for ya?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Oh yes, the staples. "Trick 'r Treat" anyone? I really like that movie.
I watched it a few years ago. Thought it was alright. A buddy of mine really like it, but I just thought it was a ok. You should check out the movie Terrifier. Great horror movie. The second one was supposed to drop this month, but Covid ruined that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis