Foundation (2021- ) Apple TV Series

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I just wanted to have a thread dedicated to these series and see what others think about it.
Here's a copy/paste from my comment on another thread:

"As a hardcore Azimov fan, I am very much disappointed by the highly-anticipated Foundation series. The showrunner's decision to change the format to be about characters (vs. events based) goes against the core principle of Azimov's idea of the psychohistory concept. If this wasn't enough, he decided to "remix" events/characters/genders (the last one is the least of my concerns). The previous two episodes were clearly building up for the first Foundation Crisis, but since this is a remix, nothing makes sense, and no one behaves anywhere near the books. In short, I am in a firmly low opinion of the show and highly doubt that showrunners could make it a better version of the story (at this point, it resembles the book so little that might as well call it by some new name, inspired by Foundation books."

I'd also like to add a few reviews which I feel are very accurate from IMDB reviews for the TV show.

From a review titled "Foundation is a fraud " by odolyte-604-976850

"This TV serie has very few to do with Azimov's vision and books. Understand me, it's beautiful and full of CG effects and all, but the story is very far from the books (which is very sad because the books are... well... pretty great!). So far even, that i don't quite understand why they put Azimov name near it.

Even some core concepts of the book are used totally wrong. For instance Psycho-history in the book predicts future events bases on evolution of big sample of population while the movie explains that all the future of the foundation relies on the décisions of one person. This is a complete antagonism at the work of Isac Azimov.

It seems to me they put Azimov name's on this just to sell the show, but i think Azimov fans will find this as a real transgression of Azimov's work. Too bad, it could have been great... "

Here's my favorite one by someone named "alienlifeform," titled - "Episode 6 - It keeps getting worse"

"Diverse casting is a necessary component of global marketing. If you don't get it you are an idiot. If you don't like it, go back to your trailer park. On the other hand, the scripting has a definite white is bad, brown is good vibe. And where the hell are the Eastern Asians?
No adaptation is an accurate reflection of the book(s). Get over it. However, this is a very special kind of bad.
Having said that, this is a young adult soap opera version of Foundation. Right down to its awkward sexuality. If you don't fall into that demographic, you are going to really really hate it.
The story has been purged of its intellectuality, Injected profusely with sentimentality and spirituality. There is zero internal logic or consistency.
The writing, dialogue, and acting are Saturday morning cartoon atrocious. The direction of the live action sequences equals the syfi networkat its worse.

Bottom line: empty eye candy."

Here's another one with the author who doesn't mince words and goes straight for the jugular, by FHMPlan, Titled "'Weak" would be a compliment for this abomination"

"For his sake, I hope Asimov chose for incineration cause else he'll resurrect and come to haunt the scriptwriters of this jumble of absurd political correctness mixed with irrelevant cliches . Another monumental screwup of some inept movie executives trying to "broaden", "target" or "convert" audiences, but most likely unknowingly desecrating one of the most iconic sci-fi universes."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm looking at it as just a bit of a sideways view, the story from a different perspective rather than the strict narrative of the book. Movies get changed to reflect the audience they're aiming at, agree with that assessment, that's business. Movies often change a book quite a bit getting it to a screenplay and on film in many ways other than being politically correct (or corrective). It does look very nicely done, tho. I just started rereading the trilogy so will hold off until I at least get thru Foundation as to assessing particular accuracy (been too long since I read it) as well as a few more episodes.

Reminds me, haven't watched newest episode yet....off to do so.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm looking at it as just a bit of a sideways view, the story from a different perspective rather than the strict narrative of the book. Movies get changed to reflect the audience they're aiming at, agree with that assessment, that's business. Movies often change a book quite a bit getting it to a screenplay and on film in many ways other than being politically correct (or corrective). It does look very nicely done, tho. I just started rereading the trilogy so will hold off until I at least get thru Foundation as to assessing particular accuracy (been too long since I read it) as well as a few more episodes.

Reminds me, haven't watched newest episode yet....off to do so.
Without going into spoilers, my anger at the show started to build up in the last 3 episodes (including the latest one from Friday).

From David S. Goyer (Foundation TV showrunner)
Reddit's AMA:
"Yes. It was considered and immediately dismissed by all buyers. I LOVE Black Mirror. After Mirror became popular, a glut of anthology shows were set up -- most failed commercially and the buyers said outright, if it's anthology, no way."

I am puzzled by this sentiment since according to Wiki, MODERN US Anthology TV shows could be counted on one hand and most very successful (True Detective may be the outlier due to massively bad 2nd season, but it wasn't due to change of scenery, actor - it was just rubbish all around. My point isn't the show format to blame, but the execution of some parts. 3rd season is much better than 2nd but not as good as the first).
Azimov's first Foundation book would be very easy to convert to one Foundation's Crysis per season.

From the same
AMA:
"Our Salvor is not the fully-formed Salvor of the books. This is her origin story. We're picking her up a good 20 years before the Salvor that appears in The Encyclopedists. She hasn't yet internalized the teachings of her father, etc."
The problem with this is 1st season is following similar events and reasons behind the first foundation crisis. According to books, it was Salvor the one thanks to their strategy to avert it. AFTER the 1st Foundation's crisis was resolved, Harry Seldon's pre-recording completely supported Salvors actions and plan as the only reasonable outcome. If TV series presents us with immature Salvor, yet some still must face full-blown Foundation crisis, how does it make any sense?

That was just one example of script inconsistency, and there are many, many others. I'm not only talking about book deviations but, more importantly, straight-up plot holes and events happening randomly. Strong focus on things that never appeared in the books.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had a hard time getting through the first episode and may not watch more of it. Interesting idea, but heavy on exposition and concept but not really giving me anything to get interested in.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I had a hard time getting through the first episode and may not watch more of it. Interesting idea, but heavy on exposition and concept but not really giving me anything to get interested in.
I feel quite upset by this series (if that wasn't clear from 1st post) - I highly expected it to be something to look forward to and now I am highly disappointed by the execution.
It's almost up there with Disaster that True Detective S2 or American Gods S2 seasons were.
I just wish that they followed the book more closely and I'd be perfectly fine with them spending less money on special effects and more on better writing.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Just found this thread.

Having never read the books, I found the first episode quite enjoyable. I'll watch a few more episodes and see how I feel about it after that.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Finished watching it. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire season. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I'm rewatching it with my wife and daughter. My son and his girlfriend are also watching it (and they're all enjoying it as well).

Again, having never read the books I have nothing to compare it to. I thought it was well done. Well acted. Well paced. And it kept me engaged throughout each episode. It's the best new series I've watched in a good while IMO. I hope season 2 is as good as season 1.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Read the books many years ago....kind of a slog to get through.
For all his fantastic ideas, Asimov wasn't an engaging writer.
Series is very good...I recognize themes from the books, not much else.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Looking at the available previews, it is a monumental production. I heard mentioned that 1000 + people are behind this. WOW.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Read the books many years ago....kind of a slog to get through.
For all his fantastic ideas, Asimov wasn't an engaging writer.
Series is very good...I recognize themes from the books, not much else.
I beg to differ - I loved the books... (and always lover Asimov's writing)

I have enjoyed Season 1 - but it resembles the books only vaguely.

It is a shame, as there is no lack in the original for a great TV series....

On the other hand, much like Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings, it is the sort of thing that will most likely eventually get redone authentically - following the books (and the extended books, including the robot series, which are all part of the same lengthy universe thread).

But taken on its own merits, like so many other adaptations, it is an enjoyable and well done TV series... it just ain't Asimov's Foundation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis