haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
Do you have spot-pricing on electricity?
Some smart-charging stations understand this and will charge the cr at optimal points in time from a cost perspective

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
I talked just yesterday to a guy who bought a new Tesla, unsure which model, there was a chassis defect at the door meaning rainwater was flowing straight into the back seat.

Tesla refused to fix this on warranty and handed a $7000 bill to their customer, nice Elon Musk. I believe this is legislation matter now o_O

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have spot-pricing on electricity?
Some smart-charging stations understand this and will charge the cr at optimal points in time from a cost perspective
In the US, we call it Time Of Use (TOU, or some other variant) Pricing. For example, where I am in California, from 12AM to 3 PM is Off-Peak and the lowest rate. From 3PM to 4 PM and 9PM to 12AM is Mid-Peak or Mid-Tier.

From 4pm to 9Pm... get the lube out! :eek:

This applies to home charging as well as Superchargers in the Tesla network, here.

Pricing will of course vary by location.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I talked just yesterday to a guy who bought a new Tesla, unsure which model, there was a chassis defect at the door meaning rainwater was flowing straight into the back seat.

Tesla refused to fix this on warranty and handed a $7000 bill to their customer, nice Elon Musk. I believe this is legislation matter now o_O
Strange. I had some "water ingression" issues with the rear hatch and it was "fixed" no questions asked. Of course, since the repair, I haven't had a serious storm to verify their work...
*facepalm.
...so we'll see what happens this winter (rainy season for us).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Electrify America chargers are free for me for 2yrs, so I don't really look at their rates (it is about $0.51 kWh at an average of 140 kW). At work it is fixed at .21/KwH on level 2 chargers, which is where I tend to charge most often since the car is literally just sitting there all day.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I recently installed a Level 2 charger in my garage. I've Applied for NJ EV charger rebate programs: the first to get up to $1500 for charger installation and the second for the off-peak EV charging cost rebate.
Charging speed is so much faster than level 1 charger (ie: 120v AC 12amp)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

He is lucky it wasn't the front axle that is 5 figures. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Charging speed is so much faster than level 1 charger (ie: 120v AC 12amp)
There must be a few who use a level 1 charger on their EVs. But I’d be surprised if there were many.

My EV came with the usual portable charger that could work at level 1 or 2. I’ve only used it for level 2. I always thought of level 2 charging as essential to have at home.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There must be a few who use a level 1 charger on their EVs. But I’d be surprised if there were many.

My EV came with the usual portable charger that could work at level 1 or 2. I’ve only used for level 2. I always thought of level 2 charging as essential to have at home.
Ya, those things are really only worthwhile as an emergency solution. If one is fortunate to find a 30-40 amp outlet, you are in pretty good shape, otherwise you are sitting put for awhile and letting your car sip on some juice.
It might make the difference in a bad situation, but you certainly can’t count on it for regular usage.

I used mine once or twice while getting my wall charger up and running. Fortunately, my landlord had installed a 40amp outlet in his workshop for his EV. I got to plug in there with my little charging kit.

There is no replacement for having a dedicated 60amp line so you can get a full 48amp charge, however. That is the max the Tesla Wall Charger supports, at least. With that, my usual top up is about 60-90 minutes.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Ya, those things are really only worthwhile as an emergency solution. If one is fortunate to find a 30-40 amp outlet, you are in pretty good shape, otherwise you are sitting put for awhile and letting your car sip on some juice. It might make the difference in a bad situation, but you certainly can’t count on it for regular usage.

I used mine once or twice while getting my wall charger up and running. Fortunately, my landlord had installed a 40amp outlet in his workshop for his EV. I got to plug in there with my little charging kit.

There is no replacement for having a dedicated 60amp line so you can get a full 48amp charge, however. That is the max the Tesla Wall Charger supports, at least. With that, my usual top up is about 60-90 minutes.
For the benefit of readers who don't have an EV, and may not get what difference there is between portable (Level 1/2) and wall chargers (Level 2), here's what these various chargers look like:

Volvo included this Portable Charger with my EV. It easily converts between Level 1 (120VAC, 15A) or Level 2 (240VAC, 50A). I always keep it in my car:
1728649071955.png

In addition, I purchased a wall mounted Level 2 charger to hang in my garage. Volvo offered a discount from ChargePoint for a standard wall charger. I recharge with it most of the time:
1728649945822.png

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Electrify America chargers are free for me for 2yrs, so I don't really look at their rates. At work it is fixed at .21/KwH, which is where I tend to charge most often since the car is literally just sitting there all day.
What is the rate of charge in KW/h?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For the benefit of readers who don't have an EV, and may not get what difference there is between portable (Level 1/2) and wall chargers (Level 2), here's what these various chargers look like:

Volvo included this Portable Charger with my EV. It easily converts between Level 1 (120VAC, 15A) or Level 2 (240VAC, 50A). I always keep it in my car:
View attachment 69943

In addition, I purchased a wall mounted Level 2 charger to hang in my garage. Volvo offered a discount from ChargePoint for a standard wall charger. I recharge with it most of the time:
View attachment 69944
Just for kicks: the Tesla Mobile Connector:
1728654617069.jpeg

This is the current offering with just the nema 5-15 and 14-50 adapters. (The one I have has 4 different adapters.) It can output max 32amps which would add 30 miles per hour.
The 5-15 is 3 miles per hour!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
What is the rate of charge in KW/h?
The charge rate of EVs is not linear with time. It varies with how far along the battery is in the recharging process, as well as air & battery temperatures, among other things.

It’s kind of like rating a speaker’s impedance as one fixed value … such as 8 ohms … when it varies widely with frequency.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The charge rate of EVs is not linear with time.

It varies with how far along the battery is in the recharging process, as well as air & battery temperatures, among other things.

It’s kind of like rating a speaker’s impedance as one fixed value … such as 8 ohms.
Yeah, typically charging is a constant current followed by constant voltage when cell is nearing full, assuming LiIon and similar chemistries. But there are variations depending on actual chemistry of the cells, age, environmental factors, fast charging and so on.

In the end it’s worth recalling that the cells are consumables and the various charging algorithms tries to strike a balance between charging time, capacity and useful lifetime of the cells. There are also various discharging algorithms that also tries to strike a balance, and that includes reducing performance. Apple did reduce performance on iPhones with cells nearing end of useful life, as an example, as they’ve problems giving sufficient current. A discharge current could also be reduced so that the cell does not get too hot, especially when the cell is part of a battery.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis