haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
Do you have spot-pricing on electricity?
Some smart-charging stations understand this and will charge the cr at optimal points in time from a cost perspective

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
I talked just yesterday to a guy who bought a new Tesla, unsure which model, there was a chassis defect at the door meaning rainwater was flowing straight into the back seat.

Tesla refused to fix this on warranty and handed a $7000 bill to their customer, nice Elon Musk. I believe this is legislation matter now o_O

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have spot-pricing on electricity?
Some smart-charging stations understand this and will charge the cr at optimal points in time from a cost perspective
In the US, we call it Time Of Use (TOU, or some other variant) Pricing. For example, where I am in California, from 12AM to 3 PM is Off-Peak and the lowest rate. From 3PM to 4 PM and 9PM to 12AM is Mid-Peak or Mid-Tier.

From 4pm to 9Pm... get the lube out! :eek:

This applies to home charging as well as Superchargers in the Tesla network, here.

Pricing will of course vary by location.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I talked just yesterday to a guy who bought a new Tesla, unsure which model, there was a chassis defect at the door meaning rainwater was flowing straight into the back seat.

Tesla refused to fix this on warranty and handed a $7000 bill to their customer, nice Elon Musk. I believe this is legislation matter now o_O
Strange. I had some "water ingression" issues with the rear hatch and it was "fixed" no questions asked. Of course, since the repair, I haven't had a serious storm to verify their work...
*facepalm.
...so we'll see what happens this winter (rainy season for us).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Electrify America chargers are free for me for 2yrs, so I don't really look at their rates. At work it is fixed at .21/KwH, which is where I tend to charge most often since the car is literally just sitting there all day.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I recently installed a Level 2 charger in my garage. I've Applied for NJ EV charger rebate programs: the first to get up to $1500 for charger installation and the second for the off-peak EV charging cost rebate.
Charging speed is so much faster than level 1 charger (ie: 120v AC 12amp)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

He is lucky it wasn't the front axle that is 5 figures. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Charging speed is so much faster than level 1 charger (ie: 120v AC 12amp)
There must be a few who use a level 1 charger on their EVs. But I’d be surprised if there were many.

My EV came with the usual portable charger that could work at level 1 or 2. I’ve only used for level 2. I always thought of level 2 charging as essential to have at home.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There must be a few who use a level 1 charger on their EVs. But I’d be surprised if there were many.

My EV came with the usual portable charger that could work at level 1 or 2. I’ve only used it for level 2. I always thought of level 2 charging as essential to have at home.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

My EV came with the usual portable charger that could work at level 1 or 2. I’ve only used for level 2. I always thought of level 2 charging as essential to have at home.
Ya, those things are really only worthwhile as an emergency solution. If one is fortunate to find a 30-40 amp outlet, you are in pretty good shape, otherwise you are sitting put for awhile and letting your car sip on some juice.
It might make the difference in a bad situation, but you certainly can’t count on it for regular usage.

I used mine once or twice while getting my wall charger up and running. Fortunately, my landlord had installed a 40amp outlet in his workshop for his EV. I got to plug in there with my little charging kit.

There is no replacement for having a dedicated 60amp line so you can get a full 48amp charge, however. That is the max the Tesla Wall Charger supports, at least. With that, my usual top up is about 60-90 minutes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis