Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
All good. I am even now enjoying upmixing for the first time with Auro 3D. Don't tell anyone but it sounds better than stereo...
I been reading into the, Auro 3D. The RX-A4A doesn't have it. Good to know your RX-A8A is back to working like it should. You where not a happy camper yesterday, which is understandable. But on a side note, for some reason can't help but think of Jennifer Lawrence, when I see the name Auro. That was her movie name (Auroar) in that movie, Passengers.
Screenshot_20220202-102130~2.png

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes indeed! It’s the first time I’ve been interested in Auro!

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I’ve been listening to music with the auromatic upmixer for three years. I really like it. Presents a front wall of sound with reduced volume for the surrounds, backs and heights giving you a concert Hall effect.

Atmos music is iffy and has at least a 3-6db decrease in sound level over the usual music levels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
I am in a business trip. My daughter told me that an envelope sign appeared on the A8A display. I am looking forward to install this update.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I am in a business trip. My daughter told me that an envelope sign appeared on the A8A display. I am looking forward to install this update.
Sooo, if you have issue with sound not played through your amp but through the tv speakers, just switch everything off, unplug and plug the tv hdmi cable instead of hard reset everything :p

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
Sooo, if you have issue with sound not played through your amp but through the tv speakers, just switch everything off, unplug and plug the tv hdmi cable instead of hard reset everything :p
Thank you. I know this from the RX-V6A. I had your issues one year ago and the procedure was like this:
- unplug all devices from power.
- wait 2-5 minutes
- plug in TV first. Power on
- plug in AVR.
- change TV sound output to HDMI / check if the TV sound output is still on HDMI
- AVR should start by itself after handshake

I have two Auro 3D Bluray demo disks, I cannot wait to test.

TheLamonster

TheLamonster

Audioholic Intern
I’ve been listening to music with the auromatic upmixer for three years. I really like it. Presents a front wall of sound with reduced volume for the surrounds, backs and heights giving you a concert Hall effect.

Atmos music is iffy and has at least a 3-6db decrease in sound level over the usual music levels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What settings do you prefer for Auro? On the A8A you can choose small/medium/large/movie/speech and strength 0-15.

C

chapp

Audioholic
The new firmware 1.59 did nothing for the popping sound when DD+ is output from Sony TV to the A8A. So, you'll have to set the tv to output DD to get rid of the occasional pops. Anyway, my work around is using the Apple TV 4k for all streaming which is connected directly to the A8A. I am hoping now for a new firmware for the X900H Sony to see if that has anything to do with this.
Auro 3D seems to be working on this AVR for the time being. I have since played Movies and Music from several sources and formats and it sounds better with the Auro up Mixer. Using the Auro guide I discovered that you can also adjust the setting directly from the AVR using the Remote in addition to using the Musiccast application.

C

chapp

Audioholic
What settings do you prefer for Auro? On the A8A you can choose small/medium/large/movie/speech and strength 0-15.
Test them out as they may sound different depending on your room and speakers etc.
I like the "medium" for music and movies. It is a mid-range for me, but I am still testing this out. I never really used it on my Denon. The strength at the default 12 seems good. The Auro setting is set to Auro 3D. (Listening mode)

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Have you checked this one?
This resource suggests:
“Auro-3D content played back over the Atmos speaker layouts does not sound good at all and is too far away from the artistic intent while Atmos played back over Auro-3D speaker layouts typically sound very good. Some informal tests have even shown that, with various kinds of content, most of the Atmos content sounds even better over an Auro-3D speaker layout than over an Atmos speaker layout".

Has anyone tested this properly? Namely, that ambient information is somewhat missing in Atmos configuration due to lack of Height layer.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Brilliant, thank you.
You're welcome. I found this several months ago and seemed valuable as I planned the upgrade to Atmos setup.

OMG! Your website with racing cars across Austria and other countries. Is this your car in Switzerland, on a train into the Alps? :cool:
Yes, it is. This was the best road trip ever in my life - 4000 km in 9 days! Epic! I have never loaded my car on train before that :D
That is the playlist from the whole trip if you feel like watching:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTf5j46BBepdZfgvveBU0Utnwi2Xb0llF

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Interesting evening finding : Today I changed my internet provider. Went from optical fibe to coaxial modem.
Left my house to go skiing, then when back I entered my home and I had an awful humming noise coming from the subwoofer. If went in the basement, unscrewed the coaxial, no more humming/buzzing sound. Was about to resiliate after one day and to get back to my previous provider but I tried something. The grounding loop wasn't coming from power supply outlet (I plugged everything on my 20A outlet with specific dedicated isolated ground). So I removed the ethernet cable from both my appleTV and my amp : NO MORE HUMMING !
Even better, I use to unplug my PC hdmi extender when not using it as it was generating a humming noise. I plug it once the ethernet cable removed from my AppleTV and my AVR : NO MORE HUMMING EVEN WITH MY PC PLUGGED !

So the f...ing grounding humming noise comes from the ethernet switch that is integrated to the provider modem.
Conclusion : using Wifi for both AppleTV and Amp may provide a lower bandwith BUT isolate the audio system from ethernet noise.

I am both happy to have a solution to humming, and unhappy to be forced to use some of my Wifi bandwith for the AppleTV.

And God I love up mixing with Auro 3D (my front height are actually more within Auro specs than Atmos specs)

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Listening to jazz, classic, pop, rock, electro… Stereo is dead, rip Stereo… will always up mixing to Auro 3D now… wider but without losing details or separation

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Listening to jazz, classic, pop, rock, electro… Stereo is dead, rip Stereo… will always up mixing to Auro 3D now… wider but without losing details or separation
Seems like you really like the Auro-3D upmix. Very glad to hear that!

How would you compare it to Dolby and DTS upmixers (I am talking for music only)? I have tried these two but they are making some king of "movie" sounding to the music and try to separate the vocals from the rest and put them mainly on the center channel which sounds weird... Does the Auro do the same?

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Seems like you really like the Auro-3D upmix. Very glad to hear that!

How would you compare it to Dolby and DTS upmixers (I am talking for music only)? I have tried these two but they are making some king of "movie" sounding to the music and try to separate the vocals from the rest and put them mainly on the center channel which sounds weird... Does the Auro do the same?
Disclaimer : With MY setup (7.2.2) with front height being not even 30 degrees to listening position, which is more within Auro specs than in Atmos specs.
1643891271096.png

Dolby Surround upmixing : it brings the scene closer to the listening positon, too close to my taste. I then not listening to an artist, I feel I am within his head, I don't like it.

DTS Neural X upmixing : the scene is properly spaced, but there is too much front height use, like some engineers wanted to be sure the listenner will notice they are working. I am losing too much the spirit of the original stereo, it's more a total transformation than an ehancement.

Auro 3D : it sounds wider, but with respect to the original stereo mixing, the front height are here to make the sound taller, some says "the wall of sound". I really like this MORE than stereo as I it's stereo++. It's still well separated, but wider. It's still at the right place, in front of you.

So that's MY point of view of course. I assume it depends a lot about the listenner and the setup.

edit : fixed there are -> they are and point of you -> point of view XD
Time for another coffee

edit 2 : for Atmos music, after testing straight vs Auro 3D, the native Atmos / Dolby surround performs better than Atmos through Auro 3D. Which is a good thing to experiment, Atmos is great

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis