Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Hi Iraweiss, Happy New Year to all.
Am new to posting on this forum but am a longtime reader. I have learned much and enjoyed some wonderful banter from the members.
Some thoughts: In the last two years ASR also reviewed the RX A1080 and RX V6A and gave a thumbs down. Alternatively, they recommended the RX 596 and R N803 so it does not feel like they are totally negative on Yamaha.
Its still very disappointing to read the 3080 and 1080 reviews, especially at the end of a "mature" product run. I am a big fan of Yamaha but this makes me think harder about issues in a first year run of the A?As.
I have owned Yamaha amplifiers since the early 1980s and currently run an A3000 in my HT setup. It has performed very well over the years but it does feel under-powered at times.
My eyes on an A4A or A6A when they are restocked with a 2 channel amp for the front two speakers but am now taking a closer look at the Denon x4700H.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Iraweiss, Happy New Year to all.
Am new to posting on this forum but am a longtime reader. I have learned much and enjoyed some wonderful banter from the members.
Some thoughts: In the last two years ASR also reviewed the RX A1080 and RX V6A and gave a thumbs down. Alternatively, they recommended the RX 596 and R N803 so it does not feel like they are totally negative on Yamaha.
Its still very disappointing to read the 3080 and 1080 reviews, especially at the end of a "mature" product run. I am a big fan of Yamaha but this makes me think harder about issues in a first year run of the A?As.
I have owned Yamaha amplifiers since the early 1980s and currently run an A3000 in my HT setup. It has performed very well over the years but it does feel under-powered at times.
My eyes on an A4A or A6A when they are restocked with a 2 channel amp for the front two speakers but am now taking a closer look at the Denon x4700H.
Same here, been a Yammy fan myself, but after looking over ASR's finding Yamaha better clean their act up.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for posting that up @PENG. I looked at his findings, Yamaha gotta do better than that! I sold off my RX-A1080, why? If I'm to be honest, and my hearing isn't what it use to be, but at levels of -15db or more on the volume display but mostly at reference level I wasn't happy. I see why now. Andrew @AcuDefTechGuy you thinking of selling off your RX-A3080 now?:D That crosstalk didn't look good at all man not for a flagship AVR. It's definitely flawed Andrew. I see a RX-A8A in your near future.;)
I agree they should do better, but as has been mentioned many times, distortion below 0.01%or even 0.1% shouldn't do anything offensive. Some people seems to prefer distortions to be audible too.:D The part that I don't like is their approach to protection, just too aggressive to my liking. No wonder they are more reliable than other brands.;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I agree they should do better, but as has been mentioned many times, distortion below 0.01%or even 0.1% shouldn't do anything offensive. Some people seems to prefer distortions to be audible too.:D The part that I don't like is their approach to protection, just too aggressive to my liking. No wonder they are more reliable than other brands.;)
I wasn't expecting to see the crosstalk numbers that ASR found. Sure no one gonna hear those finds but still.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wasn't expecting to see the crosstalk numbers that ASR found. Sure no one gonna hear those finds but still.
Right, and on paper, while the D+M flag ships did better in XT, they are also more expensive. The RX-A3080's XT graph looks comparable to separates such as Emotiva's Bass A amps, for a jam packed 11.1 AVR, that's not bad really.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Hey guys guess what. Regardless of this stuff...I know this will be hard for some of you to understand but....I AM LOVING MY A6A!!!! :D :D :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You are saying that a new Yamaha unit would measure better and that we should avoid refurbished Yamaha receivers because they are reliably defective? :D
I‘ve never bought a refurbished Yamaha. Maybe if I had, I might have had a much better experience. Who knows?

In general, who knows what happens to “refurbished“ complex electronics?

If you’re lucky, it’s as good as new. But who really knows? Anybody’s guess.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I‘ve never bought a refurbished Yamaha. Maybe if I had, I might have had a much better experience. Who knows?

I’m just pulling your leg.

I myself would be hesitant to buy a refurbished receiver, even an open box “as new”.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Help!

I am trying to reconcile the measurements and conclusion of this review with today's Audio Science Review's review of the functionally similar RX-A3080, the model that preceded the RX-A6A in Yamaha's lineup:

Any thoughts?
What I got out of it is this.

1. This was a refurbished unit, not brand new
2. THD+N was 0.008%, which is excellent in my book. You won’t hear any distortion even from 1 inch away.
3. Max power output is excellent. I think he got about 264W x 2Ch into 4 ohms. Sound & Vision Magazine got 294W x 2Ch from a previous RX-3070or 3060 or something.

So REAL WORLD takeaway message: It‘s great. But if you try to do a Torture test on the bench, it will likely go into PROTECTION MODE because Yamaha Engineers put stringent protection circuits on Yamaha AVR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m just pulling your leg.

I myself would be hesitant to buy a refurbished receiver, even an open box “as new”.
Why…….You………I……Oughta……… :mad: :D :D

Last edited:
clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic

Refurbished doesn't always mean that there was something wrong with it's "complex" electronics either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
…It has performed very well over the years but it does feel under-powered at times.
Because you have to turn up the MASTER VOLUME at times?

That’s one of the most common misconceptions.

ASR got about 264W x 2Ch into 4 ohms and S&V got about 294W x 2Ch. It’s a beast.

Sure, Yamaha enforce heavy duty protection circuits, but that‘s for our own good and probably improves reliability because of that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't say you did. I was just quoting your post to have the reference to the topic. Easy there Trigger... ;)
Gotcha.

So is an AVR a complex machine?

Does anyone know what happens to the AVR once someone takes it home?

Does anyone know if more than one person has owned it?

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Gotcha.

So is an AVR a complex machine?

Does anyone know what happens to the AVR once someone takes it home?

Does anyone know if more than one person has owned it?
Yes
No
No
How did I do?
Personally there has never been enough of a discount in these "refurbished" AVRs to justify not going new to begin with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis