Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So the 2nd from the top now has the better DAC, but the top model's remained the same. Looks like a lot of the weight gain went to the "build" but
Looks like they basically eliminated a model similar to RX-A2080 which was sorta the sweet spot (cost-wise) if you only want 5.1.4. That tells me most people want 7.1.4.
If that is true, I think it is a wise choice because then people no longer have to spend so much more just to do 7.1.4, especially for those who don't intend to use the build in power amps. That 5.1.4 limit of the A2080 was a show stopper for me but the A6A now seems to be a great alternative to the X4700H (assuming Yamaha also upgraded the volume control IC. If not, then regardless of the DAC IC, the volume control IC would still be the limiting factor. I wonder if @gene can find out for us (though it might be just me and a few others as most probably don't care) if they have done so. Again, that would be for bench performance, not for "better sound" depending on people's hearing, or ability to imagine things..:D

To a lesser extent, the use of the ES9026 Pro for the main 7 channels would also be a plus for those who want a better DAC IC regardless of the aspects of "audibility". The 2080 uses the ES9006 (they called it 9007) that gave the Denon/Marantz's a slight edge, technically speaking. All in all, I like the new Yamaha's but will wait for the CX-A5300 for sure.:D

F

frans callebaut

Audioholic Intern
hello,
i have noticed that these receivers have less hdmi connections than models of about five years ago. they had on the front side an 8th hdmi and analog audio and video connections which all is very handy when you want quickly change a unit for example a sweetvinyl sugar cube, or a blu-ray player or recorder. my cx-a 5100 has all these connections. i am surprised that there is no surround processor without built-in amplifiers like the cxa-5100.
best regards,
frans callebaut

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
no ability to “turn off” speaker outputs or selectable “pre-amp” mode a la D+M (specifically 8500/A110).
I don't think that's necessary as long as the A6A and A8A operate relatively cool under normal condition and don't burn HOT AS HELL like most AVRs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
hello,
i have noticed that these receivers have less hdmi connections than models of about five years ago. they had on the front side an 8th hdmi and analog audio and video connections which all is very handy when you want quickly change a unit for example a sweetvinyl sugar cube, or a blu-ray player or recorder. my cx-a 5100 has all these connections. i am surprised that there is no surround processor without built-in amplifiers like the cxa-5100.
best regards,
frans callebaut
I also use my CX-A5100 every day. The only Input connection I use is ONE HDMI Input in the rear. :D

Built-in Amplifiers in a Processor? That would be a Receiver.

More and more new AVR and AVP are going AWAY from old legacy connectors. As long as most people use HDMI, instead of these old connectors, I think it's going to continue.

I

iraweiss

Enthusiast
I am trying to decide between the RX-A8A and RX-A6A with added amplifiers for the front L/R channels to replace my decade old RX-A3000. I bought the RX-A3000 based on Gene's recommendation.

Big-Q

Big-Q

Junior Audioholic
Exciting stuff. There are a ton of great options out now from several manufacturers including Yamaha, if you can get them. I am very happy with my Marantz SR7013 and have no plans for an update. HDMI 2.1 has no appeal to me as I am not a gamer and 4k movies already look great. If you are in the market, I would put these on the list to look at.

F

frans callebaut

Audioholic Intern
I also use my CX-A5100 every day. The only Input connection I use is ONE HDMI Input in the rear. :D

More and more new AVR and AVP are going AWAY from old legacy connectors. As long as most people use HDMI, instead of these old connectors, I think it's going to continue.
a sweetvinyl sugar cube or a cd player don't have hdmi .

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The 7013 has a near perfect selection of inputs save for the lack of a usb in the rear as well. The A8A needs HDMI up front, usb in the back and 7.1 input for the guy rockin’ his new $6,000 Oppo.;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am trying to decide between the RX-A8A and RX-A6A with added amplifiers for the front L/R channels to replace my decade old RX-A3000. I bought the RX-A3000 based on Gene's recommendation.
So you have a total of 11 speakers? Like 7.2.4 Atmos?

IMO, if you're going to use any external amps anyway, then might as well get an AVP (like CX-A5200 or wait for the next CX-A5300). Otherwise, the A8A will power all 11 speakers just fine in most cases.

T

tparm

Audioholic
I don't think that's necessary as long as the A6A and A8A operate relatively cool under normal condition and don't burn HOT AS HELL like most AVRs.
True, although whether audible or not, the Denon stuff does measure significantly better in preamp mode. I use an A52+ for five main channels and onboard amps for wides and four ceiling Atmos speakers. Maybe Yamaha will into an updated processor soon?

T

tparm

Audioholic

Their continued inclusion of balanced inputs for an external DAC is groovy.

I

iraweiss

Enthusiast
So you have a total of 11 speakers? Like 7.2.4 Atmos?

IMO, if you're going to use any external amps anyway, then might as well get an AVP (like CX-A5200 or wait for the next CX-A5300). Otherwise, the A8A will power all 11 speakers just fine in most cases.
7.2.4 Atmos is correct. The speakers were hung on the wall with care...

As listed on the Yamaha site, there is an $800 price difference between the RX-A8A and RX-A6A. I was thinking for that price I could get two Outlaw 2220 monoblocks or any number of brands of Class D Hypex NC502 or NC500 amps. Or I could save the money for the time being and use my Emotiva a100 for the rear height channels.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
The reliance on "future firmware updates" is always a major red flag though. I wouldn't spend a dime on these till all features are live and confirmed working.
I have found Yamaha firmware updates solid in the past (just like their hardware reliability). In fact, I wrote an article (for Audioholics) back when DTS:X was a firmware update released after their standard product cycle.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
7.2.4 Atmos is correct. The speakers were hung on the wall with care...

As listed on the Yamaha site, there is an $800 price difference between the RX-A8A and RX-A6A. I was thinking for that price I could get two Outlaw 2220 monoblocks or any number of brands of Class D Hypex NC502 or NC500 amps. Or I could save the money for the time being and use my Emotiva a100 for the rear height channels.
Definitely more than one way of doing it. Any of these would work. Some people prefer to keep the same brand, some people prefer to mix and match.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Soooooo Gene.... When are you going to test the RX-A8A? It would be really cool if Audioholics beat Amir and the folks at ASR with the first review. Hopefully, Yamaha but some serious engineering behind their marketing department. As it stands now, the TOTL Marantz AVR is the one to beat in terms of audio performance/measurements.
I'm going to be testing the RX-A6A soon. I'm not in a race with AMIR as I have way too much going on with the AHSmarthome to be as efficient as he is at generating content ;)

I

iraweiss

Enthusiast
I'm going to be testing the RX-A6A soon. I'm not in a race with AMIR as I have way too much going on with the AHSmarthome to be as efficient as he is at generating content ;)
Looking forward to the review!!!

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Nice. If I do decide to upgrade my AVR that's most likely the one I'm looking at getting.

Looking forward to your review.

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
That’s funny but please take your time! Your reviews will serve people for DECADES to come. What’s another day or week to be extra detailed?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Not sure if this is already "old" news, but Sound United is releasing the Denon X8500H and Marantz AV8805 with new HDMI 2.1 boards. They will be labeled "A" models. Looks like the prices went up $200 for each. $4299 for Denon and $4799 for Marantz. Or you can purchase the HDMI 2.1 kit for $599 to install on your current Denon or Marantz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis