Hard time deciding between two receivers

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Guys calm down, this gets noone nowhere. Is there any chance to lock the thread or smth. Its getting quite off topic.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
It's true actually, even their non hifi gear sounds amazing, you won't beleieve it, I connected my Boston Acoustics A23 speakers on my very old DVD reciever and it sounded much better than the Denon X2300W which I had.

The Sony was just $300 and it came with speakers. The Denon which I bought was $800 and it was not as good for music. For movies the dialogue seemed to be muffled or very quite, dynamic volume & dynamic eq kinda helped but it was poop anyways.

I'll never buy a Denon again, i think I'm settled on Yamaha.

Now, if you offered me a choice between Sony & Denon, I would simply choose the Sony over denon.

Denon is kind of like a lackluster sound, more treble than mid punch. No depth at all. Kind of like thin sounding for 2 channel music.

What about the Sony Core SSCS5, they seem to be well regarded for their price?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I have a Yam RX-A3080 paired with the Elac Adante series and i am in a state of zero upgraditis at the moment a.k.a, i am perfectly content with it after a very long period of chasing my tail. I went into some detail on other threads about why it is the best fit for me ( sound quality, tweaking options, etc). On the same note, I may not upgrade for several years unless DTS comes up with something groundbreaking in the future. I plan to enjoy a few years of no upgraditis

Denon does make some very good 2 channel gear. Their receiver couldn't do anything special for me. Sorry to hurt the feelings of the Denon flatearther clan and these weird ass myths that seem to exist about Audyssey's unmatched glory.

As for the Sony SS CS5, you can pick up the bookshelf pair on sale for 72ish bucks!!! (it is a no brainer, its the price of a few cocktails on a Friday evening for Christs sakes). I paired it with a Class A amp, several tubes, a very good DAC, etc (which may not exactly be what everyone uses for a speaker at this pricepoint). But, from what i heard, this is the kinda speaker that can take the idea of diminishing returns to a whole new level when you are paying for stuff that's way more expensive.

There are a couple of high end dealers (i've known over the years) who get very nervous around me :D. It's because when i audit some very high end $$$$ speakers (that should only be paired with very high end electronics to bring out their full potential n all, mmhmm!!), i also try to take lsome cheap speakers with me and have them swap/put their high end electronics on cheap speakers. I gotta tell you man, it is the kinda thing that makes high end dealers very nervous because some great truths can get revealed during such instances :D.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
pulling out popcorn........and selling tickets to the big event!!!!

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I just Swiped his photo of that Exclusive Yamaha store I'm going find @AcuDefTechGuy :p;) and postup that photo as ADTG's HT room at his home:D
I am fairly certain that we don't have outlets like that here in the US. But, i wouldn't be surprised if there are dedicated outlets for big brands in Asia, South America, etc (Sao Paulo, Dubai, maybe).

AcuDefTechGuy would be a whole lot happier with a few of these honeys sitting on the side of his bed, me thinks. bwaaaahahaha
20201126_061721 (1).jpg

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I am fairly certain that we don't have outlets like that here in the US. But, i wouldn't be surprised if there are dedicated outlets for big brands in Asia, South America, etc (Sao Paulo, Dubai, maybe).

AcuDefTechGuy would be a whole lot happier with a few of these honeys sitting on the side of his bed, me thinks. bwaaaahahaha
View attachment 43106
Lolo, Yep lol, ADTG, Andrew's a great guy and very good friend of mine. He and I been busting each other's balls. Dude has saved me a lot of money on gear. But with that said, this sounds better than any Yamaha or Denon. ;):p Just jacking around guy's. @AcuDefTechGuy where you at Bro!:D
95D3282F-534F-4E95-A133-DDCF7FBB6CF2.jpeg

4F2C8E8A-06AB-41A4-84B5-2F5EAA863517.gif

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
I see they both have headphone jacks. The Sony has no phono ground. You would need a separate phono amp for a turntable. The Denon does have a phono ground.
The Sony is from 2017 but still has Atmos and DTS-X so really no difference regarding old vs. new and upgrades. Sony does have automatic updates and they work well.
I have many Sony amps and 1 Denon. I had to keep upgrading them as the newer sound formats became available and as my systems grew.
My old Sony STR DG-1200 from around 2008 is in my office and I listen to music on it all day while working. Although it's old it is still perfect for my office needs. I do use a DAC which then goes to the Sony, but still feel the Sony has a much Cleaner sound in my opinion. The Denon has a different sound Characteristic. Not as crisp or clear but still nice, perhaps more Smooth sounding. The Denon is in my back porch for projector screen rock concert movies and all else loud and fun when I get time off. Which is rare but it works every time. I had an old Yamaha which also has a completely different sound. Both the Sony and Denon are great for movies. Either one would serve you well. Your choice. My pick would be the Sony. They are top quality, well built and very nice sounding. No color added.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I wanted to try the Harman Kardon too, but it was expensive for me. HK as far as I know has a very sound. Their JBL bluetooth speakers are amazing and have plenty of mid punch.

But, they stopped making AVRs all together, what a waste of a good brand.

I think they'll market their AV recievers as JBLs, I'm not sure tho.

We don't get those over here in the States, it seems the the overseas market has better access to better gear to. JBL = HK now?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I am off work this week. So chilling out at home watching movies and TV series in my HT room and singing Karaoke in the living room. :D
About time that Hospital gives you a break!
Nice Andrew! Shoots man I'd only come out the HT room just to use the bathroom or get something to eat. Hey try this, tell the Wife you gotta Quarantine yourself! Tell her to leave food and drinks at the door. Lol have fun bro!!

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
@AcuDefTechGuy @Gmoney

That display speakers NS 5000 just took my attention, I wish I could afford them.
Those mighty speakers might be paired to a yamaha stereo amp. They have their own towers, bookshelves. I've never seen such a store for Denon only.

I keep looking at those whenever I pass by the Yamaha's exclusive store, & yes Aventage A2A will be out shortly in Jan or February 2021 , thats what the dealer told me.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
We don't get those over here in the States, it seems the the overseas market has better access to better gear to. JBL = HK now?
Thats not better by any means, seems to be copy of the original HKs with JBL badge. Just like Lexus/Toyota. Assume now Lexus has become the Toyota.

You get far better gear in the States, especially you guys are spoilt for choices with the variety of amps available today.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy @Gmoney

That display speakers NS 5000 just took my attention, I wish I could afford them.
Those mighty speakers might be paired to a yamaha stereo amp. They have their own towers, bookshelves. I've never seen such a store for Denon only.

I keep looking at those whenever I pass by the Yamaha's exclusive store, & yes Aventage A2A will be out shortly in Jan or February 2021 , thats what the dealer told me.

That’s because Yamaha sell a lot more than just AVR. It takes more than just one store to showcase everything Yamaha sells. Just Yamaha’s acoustic instruments alone would take up one store.

As for speakers, it would be cool if Yamaha would make a big flagship tower, instead of bookshelf speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
About time that Hospital gives you a break!
Nice Andrew! Shoots man I'd only come out the HT room just to use the bathroom or get something to eat. Hey try this, tell the Wife you gotta Quarantine yourself! Tell her to leave food and drinks at the door. Lol have fun bro!!
I already use my HT room 365 days a year. :D

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
Yamaha. They make Lawn mowers too. I would very much like one of their grand pianos though.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Full vintage gear..what reciever do you have?

I don't have a receiver, I have a Sony TA-E9000ES and TA-P9000ES Preamp pairing and TA-N9000ES/ TA-N80ES Power Amps. The 43 inch Sony TV is not for TV/movie viewing. It's used to as a monitor to control OPPO-205's remote functions. The set up shown is for stereo and multi-channel music only, although many years ago the cabinet housed a 35 inch CRT TV for movie pleasures. Now, a 65 inch Sony in my living room is used for movie entertainment.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@AcuDefTechGuy @Gmoney

Dealer mentioned anything about the A8?
I've never seen a Yamaha store here in the States. There are audio/video store's but Privately owned and priced waaay to high. They can't compete with Bestbuy or internet

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis