Hard time deciding between two receivers

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Wow, First mail I got today said sorry but we are out of stock for this model (2700h). Maybe it was fate that I wasn' t supposed to get that one lol (Said if ok we can order it, will take 2-4 weeks).
But you've already paid for it right?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, First mail I got today said sorry but we are out of stock for this model (2700h). Maybe it was fate that I wasn't supposed to get that one lol (Said if ok we can order it, will take 2-4 weeks).
Just take it easy, don't rush things. I believe you really got a great advice in post #43: "Based on prices, it seems to me the AVR-X3700H is clearly the sweet spot. " It's not all about the number of channels. It has some other nice features and it's a very solid model, and it's coming from someone who knows what he's saying.

Of course, if money is the issue, I wouldn't push any choice on you. You can easily go for the 2700 if the waiting period is not a problem. Just keep in mind that 2700 is not simply a 3700 minus a channel or two so that it wouldn't disappoint you.

As for other brands, I don't have a favourite nor would I suggest my favourite to anyone else. In my opinion and experience (I had a couple of Yamahas) Yamaha performs just as well. I had no problems with it. ONLY if you got your eye on a truly bad performing brand or the one with bugs and issues, I might tell you to look elsewhere, but as long as you like the good ones, it's all fine by me.

As far as Sony goes, I'm not saying one bad word about it and I don't have a reason, but it's been years now that I'm spending few hours every day trying to read as much and learn as much as I can on the subject; pages and pages of reviews and professional literature and I just don't find any proof that Sony is a true challenger for the top tier home audio and video. That doesn't have to mean much, but I think Sony got beaten in this area at least for now.

I couldn't care less what the name tag on a piece of unit says, but 3700 gives a lot, many members here had it, it's been tried and tested and if you choose that one, you can still use these forums to learn a lot of useful tricks, settings and figure out how to best use it.

Bickering aside. I respect one's personal experience, but to see someone telling any newcomer; "buy what I buy and don't buy the one I don't like because I had some bad personal experience" is not a way to go about it.

Good luck!

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
W
Just take it easy, don't rush things. I believe you really got a great advice in post #43: "Based on prices, it seems to me the AVR-X3700H is clearly the sweet spot. " It's not all about the number of channels. It has some other nice features and it's a very solid model, and it's coming from someone who knows what he's saying.

Of course, if money is the issue, I wouldn't push any choice on you. You can easily go for the 2700 if the waiting period is not a problem. Just keep in mind that 2700 is not simply a 3700 minus a channel or two so that it wouldn't disappoint you.

As for other brands, I don't have a favourite nor would I suggest my favourite to anyone else. In my opinion and experience (I had a couple of Yamahas) Yamaha performs just as well. I had no problems with it. ONLY if you got your eye on a truly bad performing brand or the one with bugs and issues, I might tell you to look elsewhere, but as long as you like the good ones, it's all fine by me.

As far as Sony goes, I'm not saying one bad word about it and I don't have a reason, but it's been years now that I'm spending few hours every day trying to read as much and learn as much as I can on the subject; pages and pages of reviews and professional literature and I just don't find any proof that Sony is a true challenger for the top tier home audio and video. That doesn't have to mean much, but I think Sony got beaten in this area at least for now.

I couldn't care less what the name tag on a piece of unit says, but 3700 gives a lot, many members here had it, it's been tried and tested and if you choose that one, you can still use these forums to learn a lot of useful tricks, settings and figure out how to best use it.

Bickering aside. I respect one's personal experience, but to see someone telling any newcomer; "buy what I buy and don't buy the one I don't like because I had some bad personal experience" is not a way to go about it.

Good luck!
Very well put, I could try and ask for discount for 3700 (doesnt hurt to ask), otherwise 2700h is still good option for me, despite waiting.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since "movies" are your primary focus now, the Sony will be hard to beat at that price point. With its sizeable feature set for streaming, Bravia sync, etc (especially if you have a Sony tv, playstation, other Sony "lifestyle" oriented stuff, etc), it will be a added bonus.

So, don't have a hard time deciding and go with the Sony man!

P.S.
But, of course, when you have some extra dough in your wallet and feel like you're more of a music guy one day (in the future), get your hands on that Sony TA-A1ES class A amp ;)
When you have even more extra dough in your wallet and feel like even more of a music guy another day (in the future), get your hands on those Sony SS-NA2ES speakers as well. ;);)
Or, go totally in for Sony, with exception for Technics SL-1210GR and OPPO-205.
49727485498_1e01c8e803_c.jpg

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Hmm, they offered me the 2600h for little discount.
What you guys reckon should i wait for 2700h to come in, takes month prolly, or am i good with 2600h, which does not seem to support 8k which is fine with me. otherwise they seem to be almost same.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Wow, First mail I got today said sorry but we are out of stock for this model (2700h). Maybe it was fate that I wasn' t supposed to get that one lol (Said if ok we can order it, will take 2-4 weeks).
Can't you call them and ask for three models you're interested in? I would go nuts if I had to wait for almost a month without the new AVR.
I was one lucky dude who walked in the Yamaha store & picked up the last RX-A1080 aventage they had in stock.

Last edited:
C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Like i can wait no problem, i just dont wanna pay extra for feauteres i dont use
I found out that tv will be delivered to my place on 31st, so thats nice heh

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Like i can wait no problem, i just dont wanna pay extra for feauteres i dont use
I found out that tv will be delivered to my place on 31st, so thats nice heh
Unless they offer a significant discount, I would suggest you wait if you could, but I guess only if you can trust their promised wait period. I don't remember if pre outs is a concern for you, but I guess it isn't. That is obviously not a factor if you know for sure you won't be adding any external power amps.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Or, go totally in for Sony, with exception for Technics SL-1210GR and OPPO-205.View attachment 43100
Very nice collection! I had the N80ES for almost 20 years and had it paired with Sony's SS-M9 speakers at some point (heard of those? they were Wilson killers at a tiny fraction of the price). It is still one of my great lousy regrets selling that speaker. Sony's always made extremely good sounding things (with its own cult following in Asia & South America, maybe Europe to a smaller degree). Unfortunately, no one in the US has barely ever heard of high end Sony. And then, of course, there is the audiophool "brand name snobbery" that assumes Sony's not audiophool enough because they also make mainstream/affordable products for folks with smaller budgets.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Very nice collection! I had the N80ES for almost 20 years and had it paired with Sony's SS-M9 speakers at some point (heard of those? they were Wilson killers at a tiny fraction of the price). It is still one of my great lousy regrets selling that speaker. Sony's always made extremely good sounding things (with its own cult following in Asia & South America, maybe Europe to a smaller degree). Unfortunately, no one in the US has barely ever heard of high end Sony. And then, of course, there is the audiophool "brand name snobbery" that assumes Sony's not audiophool enough because they also make mainstream/affordable products for folks with smaller budgets.
It's true actually, even their non hifi gear sounds amazing, you won't beleieve it, I connected my Boston Acoustics A23 speakers on my very old DVD reciever and it sounded much better than the Denon X2300W which I had.

The Sony was just $300 and it came with speakers. The Denon which I bought was $800 and it was not as good for music. For movies the dialogue seemed to be muffled or very quite, dynamic volume & dynamic eq kinda helped but it was poop anyways.

I'll never buy a Denon again, i think I'm settled on Yamaha.

Now, if you offered me a choice between Sony & Denon, I would simply choose the Sony over denon.

Denon is kind of like a lackluster sound, more treble than mid punch. No depth at all. Kind of like thin sounding for 2 channel music.

What about the Sony Core SSCS5, they seem to be well regarded for their price?

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
It's true actually, even their non hifi gear sounds amazing, you won't beleieve it, I connected my Boston Acoustics A23 speakers on my very old DVD reciever and it sounded much better than the Denon X2300W which I had.

The Sony was just $300 and it came with speakers. The Denon which I bought was $800 and it was not as good for music. For movies the dialogue seemed to be muffled or very quite, dynamic volume & dynamic eq kinda helped but it was poop anyways.

I'll never buy a Denon again, i think I'm settled on Yamaha.

Now, if you offered me a choice between Sony & Denon, I would simply choose the Sony over denon.

Denon is kind of like a lackluster sound, more treble than mid punch. No depth at all. Kind of like thin sounding for 2 channel music.

What about the Sony Core SSCS5, they seem to be well regarded for their price?

Dont hate one brand based off one item. Even one example from my life, I absolutelt hated one logitech mouse, but than got another which was actually cheaper and now its my favorite mouse ever(have had over 15 mice all together). I know its kinda comparing apples to oranges, but you get the point.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Can't you call them and ask for three models you're interested in? I would go nuts if I had to wait for almost a month without the new AVR.
I was one lucky dude who walked in the Yamaha store & picked up the last RX-A1080 aventage they had in stock.

Where you found that Yamaha store?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Ah, i was fashionably late to the party and didn't read every post.

But, here's another post from him that you should try to comprehend, my friend.
"I have 14 day send back option here in estonia, so if I idk why, but really hate something about my system I can send it back heh. "
As you can see, he's in a state of malleability for another 14 days. ;)

Alrighty, i'm gonna jet this thread and let SachB and mazer take over.

Put all your gamblin money for the day on the table and git ready for the showdown lads...

SachB Vs mazersteven THUNDERDOME in 10...9...8...7........bwaaaahahahahaha
I just Swiped his photo of that Exclusive Yamaha store I'm going find @AcuDefTechGuy :p;) and postup that photo as ADTG's HT room at his home:D

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Dont hate one brand based off one item. Even one example from my life, I absolutelt hated one logitech mouse, but than got another which was actually cheaper and now its my favorite mouse ever(have had over 15 mice all together). I know its kinda comparing apples to oranges, but you get the point.
You shoul have a look at the group Denon hifi owners on Facebook, one guy posted a video of his Denon X3600H which wouldn't start at all.

I was gonna buy the Denon X3600H for almost the same price as the Yamaha RX-A1080 but then I looked at the amazon reviews, and that actually steered me away from the Denon.

Then I knew what to get, also I didn't have any experience on Yamaha, but it suprised me, and left me thinking the kind of sound I was missing all these years.

Elac sounded a lot better with the yamaha, but the yamaha also had certain features that helped me a lot, such as skipping pages using the server. It also has a backlight on the remote which glows in the dark, and you can see the buttons easily.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis