Ascend Acoustic Ribbon Towers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you considered that your pre-outs may be approaching the clipping level when pushed really hard? With the differences seen between the pre-outs on my Denon 3500 vs the 3600 with the internal amp disconnect trick I think it's possible. I can detect a little distortion creeping in at high levels and this may or may not be due to the preamps being pushed into distortion above 1.5 volts since I can't completely disable the onboard amps on the 3500.

The new Denon X700 series just released all have the ability to completely disable all onboard amps, which should eliminate the onboard amps causing distortion when they start to clip (even if none are plugged into a speaker) and feed back that distortion to the pre-outs when pushed really hard.
I have a SR6011 and pretty sure it does the same trick as the 3600. I have reassigned the preouts to "front" so I should be getting good, clean unclipped output voltage.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Any new revelations, @Pogre? Saw on the upgraditis thread you’re already set on selling the ultras, that’s a good sign you’re liking what you’re hearing. Any fatigue issues still happening?
And no, no fatigue issues! You know, when I said that I had them up pretty loud and they were eq'd, which does make them sound brighter. I've been using the reference setting for MultEQ lately for the earlier rolloff in the upper frequencies. I think it was more me just breaking into the new sound.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
At the end of the chorus on Panera’s GSTK title track, Phil drops this totally guttural “Fukk yeah”. Moments like this I want to pass that on to you.
I want to see something like this from @Pogre :

http://instagr.am/p/BXouMWnAR-d/
If you're not hearing any mechanical bottoming out or other strange noises coming from the speakers you should be just fine.

You're also picking some pretty extreme musical samples for these vids. If these songs didn't get your cones moving at reference level I'd think there was a problem!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

If you're not hearing any mechanical bottoming out or other strange noises coming from the speakers you should be just fine.

You're also picking some pretty extreme musical samples for these vids. If these songs didn't get your cones moving at reference level I'd think there was a problem!
Got a different link? My Instagram got hijacked and shut down. Ugh

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I just replied to Dave and asked if he has a preferred spl meter, tho you guys are just as good a source. Any recommendations for a good one that won't draw my wife's attention when she see the receipt? :p

And hey, I listen to a lot of extreme music. What can I say?

On a side note I've been on a bit of a NIN kick the last couple of days. "Hesitation Marks" is a really well put together and recorded album.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just replied to Dave and asked if he has a preferred spl meter, tho you guys are just as good a source. Any recommendations for a good one that won't draw my wife's attention when she see the receipt? :p

On a side note I've been on a bit of a NIN kick the last couple of days. "Hesitation Marks" is a really well put together and recorded album.
This is what I bought:

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Got a different link? My Instagram got hijacked and shut down. Ugh
I can't seem to find the original pic to host somewhere else. It's of my db meter reading 103 while listening to some music.

Yeah, I pretty much only listen to extreme music, so I feel you there. Check out The Fragile for one of the best NIN experiences. Also, get the Beside You in Time Blu-ray and thank me later.

I don't know what the cutoff is for drawing your wife's attention, but how's $60 sound?:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CM130--galaxy-audio-check-mate-cm-130-spl-meter

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't seem to find the original pic to host somewhere else. It's of my db meter reading 103 while listening to some music.

Yeah, I pretty much only listen to extreme music, so I feel you there. Check out The Fragile for one of the best NIN experiences. Also, get the Beside You in Time Blu-ray and thank me later.

I don't know what the cutoff is for drawing your wife's attention, but how's $60 sound?:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CM130--galaxy-audio-check-mate-cm-130-spl-meter
I think Ryan's suggestion will draw less attention! :p

I'll check out those suggestions tho and look into the "Beside You" Time Blu Ray. I'll bet I can get it cheap on ebay. The STAIN'D Blu Ray @William Lemmerhirt recommended to me did not disappoint.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe eBay would draw even less attention?
I still use my trusty ol rat shack digital meter.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is what I bought:
Ordered! You might not remember, but you've guided me in my last few purchases now. The mic stand and adaptor for the Audyssey mic was the last one I think.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@Pogre
I had that same experience when I was futzing around with my MiniPhils when they first got here. I moved the BMRs side and gave these a whirl as mains for the day. Great little speakers, but down low on a RZA cut from Gravediggaz, the Zaph 5" MidWoofs looked like they were getting ready to launch the phase plugs! It is a trip to see something like that.

Why don't you set up your REW system with the mic and just use it for SPL in the short term. :) You could answer your question in a few moments.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think Ryan's suggestion will draw less attention! :p

I'll check out those suggestions tho and look into the "Beside You" Time Blu Ray. I'll bet I can get it cheap on ebay. The STAIN'D Blu Ray @William Lemmerhirt recommended to me did not disappoint.
Maybe eBay would draw even less attention?
I still use my trusty ol rat shack digital meter.
I've been rockin ol reliable for a....uh....long time

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre
I had that same experience when I was futzing around with my MiniPhils when they first got here. I moved the BMRs side and gave these a whirl as mains for the day. Great little speakers, but down low on a RZA cut from Gravediggaz, the Zaph 5" MidWoofs looked like they were getting ready to launch the phase plugs! It is a trip to see something like that.

Why don't you set up your REW system with the mic and just use it for SPL in the short term. :) You could answer your question in a few moments.
It's a pain for me to set up. I have to pull my pc out of the stand, unplug everything (including router) and reconnect it all to the front aux HDMI input, get an extension cord, a stand to put the pc on and stretch all of the cabling about as far as it can go.

All the more reason to scoot closer. I'll still have to drag stuff out but where I'm at right now almost every cord is stretched to the limit, including the one for the UMIK.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Ordered! You might not remember, but you've guided me in my last few purchases now. The mic stand and adaptor for the Audyssey mic was the last one I think.
Got a link to those? I didn't even think to look on Amazon for a dB meter, but that one should work just fine. That's probably what I paid for my Radio Shack one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis