Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Can human eye tell difference?

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Will 8k render other formats obsolete???

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
1080 p is essentially 1920p or hall of 4k, 8k is four times 1080?

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
4k has 4x the number of pixels as 1080p, and 8k has 4x the number of pixels as 4k. That's what happens when you double the number of pixels in each direction. The "p" refers to the lines being progressive (1080p), not interlaced as in 1080i. That letter always refers to the vertical resolution, so if you wanted 4k in terms of that it would be 2160p and 8k would be 4320p. That is how they all relate...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Multiple personality disorder is no laughing matter, Pogre.

;)
There’s no option to delete posts, I intended on just changing the thread name or something actually useful. It was some worthless topic before i’m sure you can agree with that

Free the reptile aliens

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is an option to edit your posts (typically), so you may want to try that.

2K vs. 4K vs. 8K is no different than the debate we had when going from 720p to 1080p back in the day. With a 42" display, it was almost impossible to tell the difference between 480p and 720p from a 12' viewing distance. Now we have a ton of native 1080p content, and we have displays which are large enough, or we sit close enough to, that we can see the jump in detail and resolution that 1080p offers.

The big jump with 4K isn't so much the resolution, but the enhanced color that it offers with 10-bit and even 12-bit color available to be displayed. The problem being that most displays don't actually support 12-bit color.

I don't see any advantage at all, in the general consumer market, with 8K. The requirement for 48Gb/s cabling is going to really trip people up who already are having serious issues with the 18Gb/s requirement of 4K/60 signals.

I have little interest in 4K as it currently stands except for my front projector. 8K is just a joke and should be treated as such for pretty much everyone except the insane PC gaming crowd who loves every tiny little nuance that they can claim.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1080p is 2K (1920x1080)
2160p is 4K (3840x2160)
4320p is 8K (7680x4320)

As for 8K, don't worry about it until we can afford it, which is probably another 10 years. :D

Most TVs are now 4K. So is anyone really still debating 2K vs 4K?

When most TVs are 8K, will anyone be debating 4K vs 8K?

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Not for nothing, I do already have a thread about this very subject.
Doubt it’s 10 years away for 8k , but yeah live tv programs are still only 1080p max .
Maybe have 15k hdtv in 10 years
Yeah I had the same thoughts thanks for link , wondering if the eye can see difference between 4-8k?

Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Doubt it’s 10 years away for 8k , but yeah live tv programs are still only 1080p max .
Maybe have 15k hdtv in 10 years
Yeah I had the same thoughts thanks for link , wondering if the eye can see difference between 4-8k?

Free the reptile aliens
If you watch the video in that link they talk about why we cannot see the difference. The human eye doesn't possess the capability to see the difference.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So the moral of the story is don't by a xK display untill there is plenty of content if you're looking for value.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis