Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just finished the Wish You Were Here SACD! (Was waiting in the mailbox untiI got home at 12:30 this morning.)
My first 5.1, HiRes Audio experience on the new rig! Quite pleased.
Congrats...it's addicting....it (5.1 audio) in general challenges the theory that surrounds can be alsorans...I like my RBH bookies, but the change to the B&W 804 (my old mains) made a positive difference. I'm leaning strongly to a pair of BMRs for the rears when I pass the B&Ws on to my son....the RAAL is so different from the B&W tweeter, and the RB5i.

I've now played it 3 times, 2 in multi-ch...The 1st time around it was different hearing the surround mix...in a good way, but it took the second playing to really give me the appreciation.

DSOTM...I have this in SACD...in stereo, but maybe there is a multi-ch version as well.

Multi-ch hi res is a game changer...I never thought I would be saying that, but it's been said that's where the wow factor is in hi res music, and for the most part I agree.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats...it's addicting....it (5.1 audio) in general challenges the theory that surrounds can be alsorans...I like my RBH bookies, but the change to the B&W 804 (my old mains) made a positive difference. I'm leaning strongly to a pair of BMRs for the rears when I pass the B&Ws on to my son....the RAAL is so different from the B&W tweeter, and the RB5i.

I've now played it 3 times, 2 in multi-ch...The 1st time around it was different hearing the surround mix...in a good way, but it took the second playing to really give me the appreciation.

DSOTM...I have this in SACD...in stereo, but maybe there is a multi-ch version as well.

Multi-ch hi res is a game changer...I never thought I would be saying that, but it's been said that's where the wow factor is in hi res music, and for the most part I agree.
Yes, DSotM is available in a multich SACD...and it's very nice! I don't know how "hi-res" an SACD is otoh....more just a multich capable format as far as my take goes....

2channel lover

Yes, DSotM is available in a multich SACD...and it's very nice! I don't know how "hi-res" an SACD is otoh....more just a multich capable format as far as my take goes....
Noted, and noted.

2channel lover

Acoustic Sounds is out of stock as were most places I looked, but they are taking pre-orders on the multi-ch sacd. Looks like they are a few months out on shipping.

Thx.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Acoustic Sounds is out of stock as were most places I looked, but they are taking pre-orders on the multi-ch sacd. Looks like they are a few months out on shipping.

Thx.
Got mine used a while back on Amazon. They're issuing new ones again? Didn't know that, but just noticed the used price has come down on Amazon too (compared to last time I checked, still more than I paid).....

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Nick Lowe - Cold Grey Light Of Dawn

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I stumbled across this and bought it.. I would consider his music as Blues-Grass, not Blue Grass. Definitely blues but some intricate guitar acoustic guitar work in there. Dam good album..
I think Mr. Grady needs to give some credit to Lonnie Chatmon & Walter Vinson. :)

2channel lover

I ordered Wish You Were Here SACD. It’s a bit of a wait though.
I'll be curious of your thoughts on the surround mix compared to DSOTM. Looks like James Guthrie engineered both...I'm very pleased with Wish You Were Here.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'll be curious of your thoughts on the surround mix compared to DSOTM. Looks like James Guthrie engineered both...I'm very pleased with Wish You Were Here.
Well I need to listen again to DSOTM since I made a rookie mistake on my settings. I was sending out PCM instead of DSD the past few months. :)

I do recall the cash drawers alternating between speakers on “Money” but the rest I felt was natural, again I need to listen to it again. :)

2channel lover

Well I need to listen again to DSOTM since I made a rookie mistake on my settings. I was sending out PCM instead of DSD the past few months. :)

I do recall the cash drawers alternating between speakers on “Money” but the rest I felt was natural, again I need to listen to it again. :)
I've got the DSOTM sacd but it's just the stereo layer. Admittedly after hearing the stereo version as many times as I have, it took me a couple of times around on Wish You Were Here to really appreciate the surround mix.

Whenever Acoustic Sounds is ready to ship I'll order the DSOTM multi-ch to complete the circle..

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I've got the DSOTM sacd but it's just the stereo layer. Admittedly after hearing the stereo version as many times as I have, it took me a couple of times around on Wish You Were Here to really appreciate the surround mix.

Whenever Acoustic Sounds is ready to ship I'll order the DSOTM multi-ch to complete the circle..
As just an album, Wish You Were Here, I like 10x better than DSOTM. :)

2channel lover

As just an album, Wish You Were Here, I like 10x better than DSOTM. :)
Then you will likely love the sacd version.

I think this is one reason that I'll eventually get to a streaming set up better capable of playing back DSD files without issue. Then I can create playlists and get the best of all worlds...SQ and desired content...as it is now for PF, there are stables from both albums, and a song or two I can do without.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I liked them both, but as 5.1s wish you were here was more engaging. Still love dark side , and for me, it has better listening payout for its start to finish program, its more cohesive and operatic or symphonic. But wish you were here as 5.1 was astounding! My 2cents

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I liked them both, but as 5.1s wish you were here was more engaging. Still love dark side , and for me, it has better listening payout for its start to finish program, its more cohesive and operatic or symphonic. But wish you were here as 5.1 was astounding! My 2cents
Not sure if you have it but the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD does well in 5.1 too.

2channel lover

Not sure if you have it but the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms SACD does well in 5.1 too.
As 5.1 mixes go...to date, it's certainly one of the best I've heard in the classic rock genre...along with Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and Hotel California by the Eagles.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Maze To Nowhere by Lorn. (tidal or apple music has it, too)

Guess I just felt like vibrating to LF a bit. Props to @shadyJ for the intro to his music. (Turns out my old guitar player used to party with him back in our SF days!)

2channel lover

The two floyd albums are my first. Eyeing hendrix, next... axis bold as love
I have this one...nice SQ upgrade with the stereo layer, but I like the mono layer as well.

Waiting on "Are You Experienced" to be released.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis