Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority (CD pressing unimportant... all were $hit unfortunately)
Dave Matthews Band - Busted Stuff (ibid)

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Compressed in what way?
Low dynamic range. Not quite a 1990s wall of sound, but I suspect that the levels of each of the master tape's (8, 12, 16, 24?) tracks were pushed a bit.

In other sections, such as instrument solos, the higher levels reduce decay between notes. This smears things a wee bit. The opposite of what you'd hear on Steely Dan's Aj, which is crisp and tight.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Low dynamic range. Not quite a 1990s wall of sound, but I suspect that the levels of each of the master tape's (8, 12, 16, 24?) tracks were pushed a bit.

In other sections, such as instrument solos, the higher levels reduce decay between notes. This smears things a wee bit. The opposite of what you'd hear on Steely Dan's Aj, which is crisp and tight.
Could well be, lots of recordings fall short. Better than listening to Steely Dan in any case :)

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Could well be, lots of recordings fall short. Better than listening to Steely Dan in any case :)
LOL. I have broad tastes, though The Dan is a little less musical and a little more analytical (as predominently session musicians can be) than the cool dudes of Chicago.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. I have broad tastes, though The Dan is a little less musical and a little more analytical (as predominently session musicians can be) than the cool dudes of Chicago.
I have fairly eclectic tastes too, but Steely Dan is just on the boring side of things, especially when compared to the energy of a band like Chicago....or many many others :)

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
I have fairly eclectic tastes too, but Steely Dan is just on the boring side of things, especially when compared to the energy of a band like Chicago....or many many others :)
If the quality of their recordings weren't so good, I wouldn't have them in my collection. It's. The same for Steve Winwood (though one or two of his tracks are OK).

I guess a good compromise for me is Peter Gabriel and some of the experimental Genesis stuff. Great music and really, really good recordings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the quality of their recordings weren't so good, I wouldn't have them in my collection. It's. The same for Steve Winwood (though one or two of his tracks are OK).

I guess a good compromise for me is Peter Gabriel and some of the experimental Genesis stuff. Great music and really, really good recordings.
Sometimes it's just not good enough to be a good recording. Steve Winwood was great with Traffic, the solo stuff never really had a lot of desire to return to (altho I own several).

Met Peter once doing some work for him back in the late 70s, very gracious man. Did you see this? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3142710/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
It would be interesting if this site could host a searchable CD/SACD/DVD-A database containing the following info:

Artist
Album
Year
Label
Catalog number
Normative Noise Level (5 point scale)
Normative Clarity (5 point scale)
Normative Fidelity (5 point scale)
Average Dynamic Range (as measured on DR Database)

I understand that the normative stuff would be subject to broad interpretation, but the accuracy would grow according to the number of inputs.

ATT, all one has to do is rely on formal reviews, which is just one person's view... and that person is likely to be more of a music fan than a sound hound.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Sometimes it's just not good enough to be a good recording. Steve Winwood was great with Traffic, the solo stuff never really had a lot of desire to return to (altho I own several).

Met Peter once doing some work for him back in the late 70s, very gracious man. Did you see this? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3142710/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1
I haven't seen it... have a good pressing of the CD though. Fantastic stuff.

I shall have to watch it! Thanks, man.

Doesn't surprise me to hear of his graciousness. As you know, he's done a lot for emerging artists in some rather impoverished countries.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't seen it... have a good pressing of the CD though. Fantastic stuff.

I shall have to watch it! Thanks, man.

Doesn't surprise me to hear of his graciousness. As you know, he's done a lot for emerging artists in some rather impoverished countries.
It was on Amazon Prime a little while back, probably still is, good watch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It would be interesting if this site could host a searchable CD/SACD/DVD-A database containing the following info:

Artist
Album
Year
Label
Catalog number
Normative Noise Level (5 point scale)
Normative Clarity (5 point scale)
Normative Fidelity (5 point scale)
Average Dynamic Range (as measured on DR Database)

I understand that the normative stuff would be subject to broad interpretation, but the accuracy would grow according to the number of inputs.

ATT, all one has to do is rely on formal reviews, which is just one person's view... and that person is likely to be more of a music fan than a sound hound.
How does one determine these parameters of noise level, clarity, fidelity? They're pretty subjective terms....which can have a lot of different meanings to different people. I don't bother with formal reviews at all tho.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
How does one determine these parameters of noise level, clarity, fidelity? They're pretty subjective terms....which can have a lot of different meanings to different people. I don't bother with formal reviews at all tho.
You don't. They're all normative measures. But at least they'd be dealt with using the same terms.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don't. They're all normative measures. But at least they'd be dealt with using the same terms.
So an active database that is always recalculating everyone's opinion on the normative measures? Sounds complicated. I have no idea what you mean by noise level in the recording as a subjective opinion, maybe clarity, fidelity compared to what?

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Yup. The recalc is just a simple average, so easily computed.

Noise is the noise floor. Is there audible noise during what should be silent parts or is it dead silent?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yup. The recalc is just a simple average, so easily computed.

Noise is the noise floor. Is there audible noise during what should be silent parts or is it dead silent?
So for vinyl this noise thing wouldn't work too well? :) Tape hiss on other media? How do you define clarity or fidelity?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis