In-wall 5.1 advice for newbie.

N

Newbie1234

Audiophyte
First time I have ever posted in a blog but need some help.

Trying to get audio for my open concept family room/kitchen. Its a big space - the family room part is probably 24 feet wide (on this wall is where the TV would be), and 15 feet deep, but there is no back wall cause it opens up the kitchen, which is another 12 feet deep.

On the 24 ft wall i have wires for a L/R/C and a sub in the corner, and two ceiling rear for L/R surround that are right over the couch.

This is where we spend 99% of our time so wanted a system for both movies and music; i am by no means an audiophile, but i did grow up with a dad that was and had Aerial speakers growing up 30 years ago (not sure if they even make those anymore) so I do appreciate the difference in quality.

Despite being wired I started with this setup cause of ease of use:
1. Sonos ARC plus sonos in ceiling speakers powered by a sonos AMP, sonos sub This obviously sounded better than the TV, but for the cost it wasn't great in this room. Maybe the room, but the soundbar just felt very small.

2. I returned this, and recently got
Klipsch 504 for center
Klipsch 625 atmos for L/R
Klipsch in-ceiling 160 CDT for surround
Klipsch 12 inch sub
Yamaha V6A receiver

This setup sounds quite a bit better than the sonos (especially for movies), but two problems. 1. The voice isn't as clear as I feel it could be - it is a bit hollow and distant. 2. More importantly, the speakers are really big, and wife hates it. I also cant really hear the ATMOS effect - maybe cause my ceiling is too high at 12 feet?

Thus, advice....

I am now at the stage of looking for a new setup with in-wall or on-wall speakers - at least for the L/R and could also do for the center.

For this much money, I really feel like it could be bada-s, but I feel like I am missing the mark (or it is just the aucistics of the room).

Anyone have any recommendations for in wall speakers for this setup? I am really all over the place, and at first was gonna buy the Klipsch 5502 or something similar, but then was looking around and found Goldenear as well as B&W CWM 7.4 (I know these last two options are quite a bit more expensive which I dont mind spending if it will be that much better). I am going to a store on Sat to listen to the Goldenear, but does anyone else have any advice on a newbie setting this up????

Once I cut open the wall, these speakers will be staying for a long time....so i am a bit hesitant.

Thanks much for any help anyone can provide

-Ben

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Trying to get audio for my open concept family room/kitchen. Its a big space - the family room part is probably 24 feet wide (on this wall is where the TV would be), and 15 feet deep, but there is no back wall cause it opens up the kitchen, which is another 12 feet deep.

On the 24 ft wall i have wires for a L/R/C and a sub in the corner, and two ceiling rear for L/R surround that are right over the couch.

This is where we spend 99% of our time so wanted a system for both movies and music; i am by no means an audiophile, but i did grow up with a dad that was and had Aerial speakers growing up 30 years ago (not sure if they even make those anymore) so I do appreciate the difference in quality.

1. Sonos ARC plus sonos in ceiling speakers powered by a sonos AMP, sonos sub This obviously sounded better than the TV, but for the cost it wasn't great in this room. Maybe the room, but the soundbar just felt very small.

Klipsch 504 for center
Klipsch 12 inch sub
Yamaha V6A receiver

This setup sounds quite a bit better than the sonos (especially for movies), but two problems. 1. The voice isn't as clear as I feel it could be - it is a bit hollow and distant. 2. More importantly, the speakers are really big, and wife hates it. I also cant really hear the ATMOS effect - maybe cause my ceiling is too high at 12 feet?

Thus, advice....

I am now at the stage of looking for a new setup with in-wall or on-wall speakers - at least for the L/R and could also do for the center.

For this much money, I really feel like it could be bada-s, but I feel like I am missing the mark (or it is just the aucistics of the room).

Anyone have any recommendations for in wall speakers for this setup? I am really all over the place, and at first was gonna buy the Klipsch 5502 or something similar, but then was looking around and found Goldenear as well as B&W CWM 7.4 (I know these last two options are quite a bit more expensive which I dont mind spending if it will be that much better). I am going to a store on Sat to listen to the Goldenear, but does anyone else have any advice on a newbie setting this up????

Once I cut open the wall, these speakers will be staying for a long time....so i am a bit hesitant.

-Ben
If you can avoid the hassle of in walls I’d stick to your current speakers ...
Even more expensive in walls are inferior to regular speakers .
Triad will roll over def technology, or golden ear , but Klipch if you like it is best for movies . Horn speakers are very efficient saving amplifier power .

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Actually, a well designed in-wall can sound just as good as an in-room speaker.

For example, Triad speakers within a series (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc) are designed to sound the same -- cabinet characteristics, driver placement, and crossovers are all adjusted to make each speaker sonically identical. So, for example, InRoom, InWall, OnWall, and even InCeiling speakers should match one another acoustically.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Klipsch 504 for center
Klipsch 12 inch sub
Yamaha V6A receiver

Thus, advice....

-Ben
I have B&W 7.3's for my front stage. They are worth the money. Triad is another great brand you could check out. They have good pricing on their speakers. You could also check out Paradigm speakers. They make some very nice in-walls. Martin Logan and RBH make nice in-walls as well. Talk with AcuDefTech about RBH speakers if you're interested. Plenty of people on this site that speak highly of RBH speakers.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, a well designed in-wall can sound just as good as an in-room speaker.

For example, Triad speakers within a series (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc) are designed to sound the same -- cabinet characteristics, driver placement, and crossovers are all adjusted to make each speaker sonically identical. So, for example, InRoom, InWall, OnWall, and even InCeiling speakers should match one another acoustically.
Yeah those few brands are spectacular people say , towers still win volume wise .

I was trying to point out the massive price increases for those over regular speakers , but yeah triad or htd on wall make some good stuff .just cost arm and a leg and you gotta find a dealer . Gold are near 3keach speaker
If I had 5ch I’d worry about adding atmos before dumping his Klipch. Wish my bedroom had Klipch or something... my old speakers I’m using aren’t as treble heavy .
Not to mention it’s very hard to place them , no toe in .
If op dislikes Klipch can he return it ?
I’d at least properly set it up first I’ve returned speakers before and regretted it .
Wish ida kept energy c10 probably cost more used then $124 I coulda had them .

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis