About to build the most basic high quality 2 channel system from scratch. Video series to follow

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Update if you've not followed the other forum thread.

The choices for the new system still include the BMR Towers and the primary audio component will likely be the Cambridge Audio Evo 150. With help from another forum member I just discovered that it has the Hypex amp inside and it's rated at 150 Watts per channel.

I think I'm winding down on the equipment decisions. I'm actually very excited about this.
That's a sexy looking unit. And it has a Sub out.

The only real reason I would consider adding a Sub to the Towers is if you ever listen to programming with deep bass. I just posted an electronic cut on Subwoofer Candy that had my Phils chuffing hard. Same Driver, but I think the cabinets are tuned a little differently. (I somehow had my Marantz app set to Pure and the AVR didn't show that, so my Phils were trying to go full range... not a happy sound! :p )

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
That's a sexy looking unit. And it has a Sub out.

The only real reason I would consider adding a Sub to the Towers is if you ever listen to programming with deep bass. I just posted an electronic cut on Subwoofer Candy that had my Phils chuffing hard. Same Driver, but I think the cabinets are tuned a little differently. (I somehow had my Marantz app set to Pure and the AVR didn't show that, so my Phils were trying to go full range... not a happy sound! :p )
I have the luxury of adding subs at any point in the future. I don't need them to get the project off the ground. I've had subs nearly my entire life in every system I've ever built and in every car I've ever owned, even as a teen. I will try these towers in this small room and evaluate just how badly I need them. I can't really afford them right now as it is.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have the luxury of adding subs at any point in the future. I don't need them to get the project off the ground. I've had subs nearly my entire life in every system I've ever built and in every car I've ever owned, even as a teen. I will try these towers in this small room and evaluate just how badly I need them. I can't really afford them right now as it is.
;) Not trying to suggest you need it, just admiring that you have the option. :D

I'm excited to hear your experience as you go forward setting everything up!

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Are you completely sure you want to spend over $3k for the source equipment, when the speakers (BMR Towers) are $3.7k? Just to get 150 watts of power per channel? I feel like for $3k you should be able to get a lot more clean power and not have to toss a lot of money into little LCD preview and some frankly over priced branding. You would get more increase in actual high quality sound by putting most of your budget into the actual speakers. If your budget is $6~7k or more, maybe put $5k into the mains and $1k into the source (going for around 100 watts of power roughly, going from 100 watts to 140~150 watts barely adds 1.5db of SPL). 11 x 14 foot room, so listening distance isn't that far.

Very best,

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are you completely sure you want to spend over $3k for the source equipment, when the speakers (BMR Towers) are $3.7k? Just to get 150 watts of power per channel? I feel like for $3k you should be able to get a lot more clean power and not have to toss a lot of money into little LCD preview and some frankly over priced branding. You would get more increase in actual high quality sound by putting most of your budget into the actual speakers. If your budget is $6~7k or more, maybe put $5k into the mains and $1k into the source.

Very best,
You will not find Speakers at 6K likely to outperform the BMR Towers. Maybe play louder, or look cooler, but there is nothing in those Speakers that cannot hang at the $10 K pricepoint. ;)

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
You will not find Speakers at 6K likely to outperform the BMR Towers. Maybe play louder, or look cooler, but there is nothing in those Speakers that cannot hang at the $10 K pricepoint. ;)
While I agree with that, if a budget is $7k or so, and the BMR Towers are top 3 in that price range, being half the budget, I'm just not seeing why a greater than $3k source equipment piece is part of this. I'm not slighting the BMR Towers at all. Regardless of budget, it just seems like throwing money away in this project to go with a $3k+ piece of source equipment at 150 watts into 8ohms.

Very best,

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
While I agree with that, if a budget is $7k or so, and the BMR Towers are top 3 in that price range, being half the budget, I'm just not seeing why a greater than $3k source equipment piece is part of this. I'm not slighting the BMR Towers at all.

Very best,
To be fair, I did not see the other thread where Friend Wookie made the decision to go with the Cambridge. He had been looking at other units.
In terms of the conversation of budgetary guidelines and how much money in electronics to Speakers on spends, I always felt that was kind of out of line with reality and needs a dose of balance added to it. While I would agree that buying a boutique Processor or Amp to pair with something like MA Bronze Speakers, or Jamos, does not make sense, in this instance I wouldn't bat an eye. ;)

On the other hand, I might not go for that Cambridge if it were my system and I were buying out of pocket. :)

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
To be fair, I did not see the other thread where Friend Wookie made the decision to go with the Cambridge. He had been looking at other units.
In terms of the conversation of budgetary guidelines and how much money in electronics to Speakers on spends, I always felt that was kind of out of line with reality and needs a dose of balance added to it. While I would agree that buying a boutique Processor or Amp to pair with something like MA Bronze Speakers, or Jamos, does not make sense, in this instance I wouldn't bat an eye. ;)

On the other hand, I might not go for that Cambridge if it were my system and I were buying out of pocket. :)
It just seemed odd to me to choose a $3.2k source boutique amp, as you called it, and then say that subs are not in the budget right now. When subs obviously would add way more to this experience than a $3.2k amp ever, ever would. Granted, I also am completely on board with it just being two full range towers and no subs for a simple stereo setup that is high quality. But it still makes no sense in that context to go for a $3.2k amp with only 150 watts of output (not that he likely needs more than that in reality, the BMR towers are around 85~86db sensivity), with a room that's around 11 x 14 feet. So if these are not flush to the wall and the seating is also not flush to the wall, it's pretty safe to say that the listening distance will be 8~10 feet or so, or less? So 150 watts at 10 feet, should be able to hit around 100db SPL or so with this setup). But maybe it takes more to fill out the lower end for one's preference (especially someone who claims they have had subs with every setup their entire life).

Very best,

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It just seemed odd to me to choose a $3.2k source boutique amp, as you called it, and then say that subs are not in the budget right now. When subs obviously would add way more to this experience than a $3.2k amp ever, ever would. Granted, I also am completely on board with it just being two full range towers and no subs for a simple stereo setup that is high quality. But it still makes no sense in that context to go for a $3.2k amp with only 150 watts of output (not that he likely needs more than that in reality, the BMR towers are around 85~86db sensivity), with a room that's around 11 x 14 feet. So if these are not flush to the wall and the seating is also not flush to the wall, it's pretty safe to say that the listening distance will be 8~10 feet or so, or less? So 150 watts at 10 feet, should be able to hit around 100db SPL or so with this setup). But maybe it takes more to fill out the lower end for one's preference (especially someone who claims they have had subs with every setup their entire life).

Very best,
A user on the other site shared his in-room measurements and was getting a straight 20Hz response. At the end of the day it is a true YMMV scenario in that if our friend here is not needing visceral infrasonic or epic TR from his listening experience, he will likely not need a Sub.
My not above was about that very fact. That Andy Stott cut was no joke, and the program needs dictate the setup.
Anyway, I think our friend is looking to be in good shape. :D

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I agree that vinyl can sound good, but, from a technical perspective, it won't have the bit depth, channel separation, or noise floor that a high bitrate MP3 would. Those are problems inherent even with the best vinyl pressings and highest quality turntables. After a few plays, it wouldn't have the high-frequency loss that can occur with vinyl. A 320kpbs mp3 done by a decent encoder can sound pretty good. Now that digital storage is plentiful and cheap, I agree there is no real point in not having lossless storage like MP3, but it's ridiculous to be bothered by the limitations of MP3s but not the limitations of vinyl.
By definition, MP3's lose fidelity from being compressed.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
So I'm new at all this, if not going for 3k source, what would sound better at lower cost?
I rip all my CDs with FLAC so they are lossless by default, whatever is on the CD is kept so nothing is lost due to compression. FLAC files are are larger than MP3s as a result.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
So I'm new at all this, if not going for 3k source, what would sound better at lower cost?
Price doesn't linearly represent an increase in sound quality at all. There's a monstrous diminishing to literal zero return curve on source gear after a few price points.

One could use a connected modern source like an AVR with wifi, bluetooth, etc, or a streamer box that is more focused on internet sourced media streaming from high quality sources, or any combination of the above or just a basic high quality DAC hooked up to whatever source you please, the output of which will be identical from a $20 unit to a $2,000 unit in terms of the 0's and 1's its dealing with, some differences in physical/ergonomic and connective presentation, some differences in components on the pre-amp out stage, but it's not going to be some night & day thing at all. Putting money into whatever your DAC is ultimately has the least influence on your total system, for something dealing with digital content (which is most content these days). And you could also go with a pure analog setup, then you don't need any of this and you're just building from a record player, phono pre-amp and then power amp or integrated amp with no digital touching of the signal, etc. and it's easier to spend hordes on an analog setup than a digital one. Again totally depends on what you want.

As for power, you can get clean 200 watt / 8ohm monoblock power amps for $800 for two of them, one per channel. There are other great options like this from other power amps out there too, but you can get more power if you want. Mix with whatever source you want that is high quality without just throwing money away. With the savings, you can get more speakers, more content to listen to, or nicer room furniture and acoustic treatment material, etc, all of which is way more useful than a $1k or more loss due to branding or other mark ups.

Understand, this is just an opinion.

Do what you want with your money.

Very best,

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The BMR towers are pretty darn good. Remember that they don't have a very wide vertical dispersion, so you need to be listening to them with your ears roughly level with the tweeter. Depending on your room size and seating, that might be tricky. For that reason, the BMR Monitors could have a slight advantage for you. Read the Audioholics review for a bit more insight into this.

R

Renzi

Audiophyte
Price doesn't linearly represent an increase in sound quality at all. There's a monstrous diminishing to literal zero return curve on source gear after a few price points.

One could use a connected modern source like an AVR with wifi, bluetooth, etc, or a streamer box that is more focused on internet sourced media streaming from high quality sources, or any combination of the above or just a basic high quality DAC hooked up to whatever source you please, the output of which will be identical from a $20 unit to a $2,000 unit in terms of the 0's and 1's its dealing with, some differences in physical/ergonomic and connective presentation, some differences in components on the pre-amp out stage, but it's not going to be some night & day thing at all. Putting money into whatever your DAC is ultimately has the least influence on your total system, for something dealing with digital content (which is most content these days). And you could also go with a pure analog setup, then you don't need any of this and you're just building from a record player, phono pre-amp and then power amp or integrated amp with no digital touching of the signal, etc. and it's easier to spend hordes on an analog setup than a digital one. Again totally depends on what you want.

As for power, you can get clean 200 watt / 8ohm monoblock power amps for $800 for two of them, one per channel. There are other great options like this from other power amps out there too, but you can get more power if you want. Mix with whatever source you want that is high quality without just throwing money away. With the savings, you can get more speakers, more content to listen to, or nicer room furniture and acoustic treatment material, etc, all of which is way more useful than a $1k or more loss due to branding or other mark ups.

Understand, this is just an opinion.

Do what you want with your money.

Very best,

R

Renzi

Audiophyte
I just like WookieGR am starting to put together a system, mine is a home theater in my living room. I would also use it for steaming and storing music. So far I have bought Revel Performa 3 towers and am thinking about an Anthem AVR70 and their 5 x 225 channel amp, what would I add to it for 2 ch or should I just add a different system for music.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just like WookieGR am starting to put together a system, mine is a home theater in my living room. I would also use it for steaming and storing music. So far I have bought Revel Performa 3 towers and am thinking about an Anthem AVR70 and their 5 x 225 channel amp, what would I add to it for 2 ch or should I just add a different system for music.
I would consider other Amps... not that the Anthem Amp is bad, but there are some great values in multichannel Hypex Amps from Buckeye and VTV. On paper, their performance will likely crush what Anthem is doing.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Nothing. You just playback in stereo.

You may want to pump the breaks on spending if you don't have any experience at all with these playback components.

Also, if you want to start that discussion, maybe consider your own thread out of courtesy and to get more specific to your need responses. :)

Very best,

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis