What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Still can't get my wife to use it, which sucks because she's the reason I bought it. She complained about "too many remotes", but hates anything with a touch screen. I like it though.
I know that feeling. My wife won't use the Harmony 1 I got just so she would not need so many controllers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
In fairness, the touch screen of the Elite's remote is a bit too sensitive and too responsive which can make it too easy to accidentally change activities. I wonder if you can use this Harmony Remote Add-on for the Ultimate with the very similar Elite. It's limited to six of your activities but that's enough for most people and would give you his and hers remotes :). The three activity buttons each give access to two activities via short or long presses. These lack the granularity of control that the Elite's remote has but, if compatible (see compatibility chart), should work well enough for everyday use.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-add-on

From Amazon:
  • Add-on companion remote for Harmony Ultimate Hub*: A simple Harmony remote anyone in the house can use when your primary remote or mobile app is not handy (*Requires Harmony Ultimate Hub, sold separately. Not compatible with Harmony Home Hub).
  • One-touch Activity control: Press one button, like "Watch A Movie", and the right devices power on and switch to the right settings

That is a smart idea, offering a remote which limits activity to the mainstream stuff so it is simpler to operate and you don't have to worry about accidental changes to the more advanced settings.
Some years back, Denon attempted this with a simplified remote that you could flip over and open a door to access all of the advanced command structure. Not sure why it didn't take!

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just might have to get that "analog" remote for her to use. The photo I posted is what I have, including the hub shown but I don't know which it is because the names confuse me. I guess it's the "Harmony Hub"?

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-elite?crid=60

If I have to also buy a different hub, I'm just going to return the whole thing, keep my existing remotes and deal with it.

She just told me she tried it again this morning and "screwed everything up." The touchscreen is indeed EXTREMELY sensitive. I'm accustomed to smartphones and this is really "touchy."
Maybe the Harmony 650, it controls up to 8 entertainment devices. To setup the activities you'd connect it to a computer via USB and setup an account on Harmony website.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I just might have to get that "analog" remote for her to use. The photo I posted is what I have, including the hub shown but I don't know which it is because the names confuse me. I guess it's the "Harmony Hub"?

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-elite?crid=60

If I have to also buy a different hub, I'm just going to return the whole thing, keep my existing remotes and deal with it.
There are several Harmony "Hubs", each with varying levels of functionality:

• The picture that you posted is the top of the line Elite which includes the Elite touch screen remote and 15-device Elite Hub. This is what I have in my family room.
  • The step down is the "Companion" Which includes a non-touch screen Companion remote, and 8-device Companion Hub. This is what I have in my bedroom. The companion controls both AV devices and smart home devices - but requires a phone app for granular control of your AV devices.
  • The entry level Smart Control. includes an 8 AV-only device Smart Control Hub is like the "Companion" but without the ability to control smart home devices.

All have two things in common - they work with devices hidden behind doors, and they can control devices such as the NVIDIA Shield or a Roku via your network. Best of all, you don't have to aim your remote.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've been wanting a simpler "everyday" remote for my Harmony Elite so I've ordered the "add-On" and I'll let you know if it works. I'll still use the Elite's touch screen remote when more functionality is needed but the sensitivity of the touch screen can be a pain. They should have designed it with 1-second presses instead of just get near it as a press.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've been wanting a simpler "everyday" remote for my Harmony Elite so I've ordered the "add-On" and I'll let you know if it works. I'll still use the Elite's touch screen remote when more functionality is needed but the sensitivity of the touch screen can be a pain. They should have designed it with 1-second presses instead of just get near it as a press.
I look forward to your feedback, because the way I have this setup and working to "Play A Movie" is flawless. A couple years ago my son tried getting me one of the lower-level Harmony remotes and though he's really good at this stuff it was a miserable failure. So I feel really good about setting this up successfully myself. It makes even my working the system for a movie a breeze compared to having to use the remote for the Bluray player, TV-cable box, and AVR for that simple operation.

On another note, I find Logitech's website for the Harmony to be a pitiful excuse for "user friendly". Horrible. It jitters as I'm scrolling down, over-simplified descriptions, hard to find stuff. Ugh.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
There are several Harmony "Hubs", each with varying levels of functionality:

• The picture that you posted is the top of the line Elite which includes the Elite touch screen remote and 15-device Elite Hub. This is what I have in my family room.
  • The step down is the "Companion" Which includes a non-touch screen Companion remote, and 8-device Companion Hub. This is what I have in my bedroom. The companion controls both AV devices and smart home devices - but requires a phone app for granular control of your AV devices.
  • The entry level Smart Control. includes an 8 AV-only device Smart Control Hub is like the "Companion" but without the ability to control smart home devices.

All have two things in common - they work with devices hidden behind doors, and they can control devices such as the NVIDIA Shield or a Roku via your network. Best of all, you don't have to aim your remote.
What I pictured, is what I bought. It's the Harmony Elite kit with Elite hub (they called it something else, of course.) I initially didn't bother employing the included "IR Blasters", but after my son came over and helped me implement those two little units, response was like you said: Around corners, behind doors, it works everywhere!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It makes even my working the system for a movie a breeze compared to having to use the remote for the Bluray player, TV-cable box, and AVR for that simple operation.
I took things a step further by integrating my Harmony Elite with my Amazon Echo Dots and my Samsung Smartthings home control hub. When I wake up I command Alexa to "Turn on good morning". Alexa complies by 1) instructing the Smartthings hub to turn on the bedroom, hallway, kitchen and family room lights, and 2) instructing the Harmony Elite hub to turn on the TV, receiver, cable box and tune the cable box to my favorite news channel.

On another note, I find Logitech's website for the Harmony to be a pitiful excuse for "user friendly". Horrible. It jitters as I'm scrolling down, over-simplified descriptions, hard to find stuff. Ugh.
I really wish they had an "advanced" mode that did not hide stuff to protect you from yourself.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
No Alexa, Siri or anything like that here. I guess I'm either a little paranoid or just don't want to get any more complicated technologically speaking...or lazier. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What I pictured, is what I bought. It's the Harmony Elite kit with Elite hub (they called it something else, of course.) I initially didn't bother employing the included "IR Blasters", but after my son came over and helped me implement those two little units, response was like you said: Around corners, behind doors, it works everywhere!
I have the companion already and I am not too impressed with it. The hub is great, but that basic remote is not so useful. The phone app has all the controls but completely sucks because almost every control is on a different page. I actually think I would have preferred the elite.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Let us know how you like that one. I've got the step down (home companion) and it's fantastic. I don't have enough activities to justify the touch screen...yet
Actually I have the companion in the bedroom, the ultimate home in the living room and the elite in the HT room. The ultimate is definitely my favorite. Between how it feels in the hand, to the button layout, to the responsivness of the buttons (a little bit more clicky than squishy) everything about it is a step up. When I got the Ultimate home I was underwhelmed by it and was therefore worried about the Elite, but was pleasantly surprised. Very cool remote. Highly recommend.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Mercy, A really good Craiglist find -- only for $25 total -- one pair of Energy Connoisseur C-2 speakers and a Harman Kardon AVR 20 receiver -- the speakers use to list for $700 a pair, and they got a good review from Stereophile with overall nice measurements. While I have never been a real Energy fan, these do really sound nice/decent, with no ear fatigue and have some really nice bass. I have not tested the receiver yet.

Slideshow pictures
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=slideshow;album=26308;start=177737

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have the companion already and I am not too impressed with it. The hub is great, but that basic remote is not so useful. The phone app has all the controls but completely sucks because almost every control is on a different page. I actually think I would have preferred the elite.
Funny, I like the companion because it's so basic. I don't have a lot of sources (that drives me crazy) so it works perfectly for me.

If I had a BD player, tv STB, media player, etc it'd be different.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So, you are going to start putting an ogee on the baffle around your drivers!:p

Also, you should probably return the Festool Circ saw unless you have/are getting the dust collection system. It is really not propeerly cooled without the forced convection from the DC system!

Best line:
I don't have any dust collection in the shop here, so just filtering everything through a cigarrette!

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Woot had the Luma Home mesh wifi setup for only $99 bucks so I grabbed one.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So, you are going to start putting an ogee on the baffle around your drivers!:p

Also, you should probably return the Festool Circ saw unless you have/are getting the dust collection system. It is really not propeerly cooled without the forced convection from the DC system!

Best line:
Nah, thought I'd try my hand at making my own trim. It'll just be around the edge of a laundry pedestal I'm making so a pretty good spot for an experiment I think.

No dust collection unit for me. Imma risk it. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Got a great deal on ebay for the Elephone S8. My 5 year old LG is way too laggy. Looking forward to the mouth watering 2K screen. :)

Elephone S8 4G Phablet Android 7.1 6.0 inch 2K Screen Helio X25 Deca Core 2.5GHz 4GB RAM 64GB ROM 21.0MP Rear Camera Front Fingerprint Scanner
Main Features:
Display: 6.0 inch 2560 x 1440 pixels screen with Corning Gorilla glass
CPU: Helio X25 Deca Core 2.5GHz
System: Android 7.1
Storage: 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM
Cameras: Sony front 8.0MP + rear 21.0MP with AF and flash light
Sensors: Fingerprint Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor, Gravity Sensor, Gyroscope, Hall Sensor, Proximity Sensor
Features: GPS, A-GPS
SIM Card: dual SIM dual standby, 1 Nano SIM card + 1 Nano SIM card

Networks:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
WCDMA: B1/B8
FDD-LTE: B1/B3/B7/B20
TDD-LTE: B38/B40

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com