What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just got ahold of these from @William Lemmerhirt. JBL S38II. They are in very nice, dare I say, "like new" condition. I also own a pair of the S312 towers so I had some great expectations from these and they do not disappoint!

It seems that JBL occasionally likes to play jokes on the industry with these comparatively inexpensive surprises. Is half of why I've been such a fan of theirs over the years. In spite of the snootiest of snoots with regard to SQ, I have never done without a great listening experience using even their more affordable products.

Pardon the mess. Grandkids have taken over the planet.

I have them currently crossed over at 80hz to my twin RSS315 subs. This is a wonderful thing!

I should also add that William was great to deal with. It was all in all, a fun transaction.
Wow, it’s kind of a trip seeing those in another persons room! I’m sure I’ll get over it eventually lol. Mr Boat, I sure hope you get good mileage out of them, despite your ever growing collection. I agree with your assessment in that they are over achievers, and I was always impressed with them.

Agreed, this transaction was a lot of fun, and MrBoat, a pleasure.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
What have you got on top of your subs? They almost look like cinder blocks painted white, but aren't those speakers?
Those are just the little full-range-driver NOLA clones that I had such low expectations of, that I hacked a set of cabinets together. They ended up sounding fantastic so, now, like a dummy, I have to build a second, legitimate set for them. I just set them out of the way for this demo. Those weird little speakers are really tough to beat, SQ wise.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just got ahold of these from @William Lemmerhirt. JBL S38II. They are in very nice, dare I say, "like new" condition. I also own a pair of the S312 towers so I had some great expectations from these and they do not disappoint!

It seems that JBL occasionally likes to play jokes on the industry with these comparatively inexpensive surprises. Is half of why I've been such a fan of theirs over the years. In spite of the snootiest of snoots with regard to SQ, I have never done without a great listening experience using even their more affordable products.

Pardon the mess. Grandkids have taken over the planet.

I have them currently crossed over at 80hz to my twin RSS315 subs. This is a wonderful thing!

I should also add that William was great to deal with. It was all in all, a fun transaction.
I've never seen these before, but it's odd how much these remind me of the Infiniti Primus line!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I've never seen these before, but it's odd how much these remind me of the Infiniti Primus line!
They're designed to be placed horizontally as well which is how I currently have them.

I have them EQ'd dead flat across the board and they don't need any help, regardless what genre I feed them. The SQ of these, is really about as good as it gets beyond perhaps preference, and it reminds me of how, in this day of CNC and sim'd everything, that we often pay too much for things like speakers. At least, functionally speaking.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My new Acurite 01013M internet connected weather station is on it's way. We don't get the "interesting" weather that some of you get but the rare rains cause flooding, freezes kill fruit trees, and the annual wind storms do a good bit of damage. Because of where I live (in the mouth of a mountain pass) the national weather service's 10 mile away airport based weather stations aren't of much use. I've had an older and less comprehensive (no rain gage or internet connectivity) version for 2-3 years and it's done a good job with temps and wind speeds and directions so I have high hopes for this one. Hopefully I'll be contributing to Weather Underground in a few months.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
After long debate, decided on The very best of album of Fleetwood Mac. I didn't want to sift through the mediocre to get my diamonds, even though some of the other versions had better DR etc. This one has all the songs I need; I will report the sound quality when I listen to the some ~35 songs.

Got these in the mail yesterday. Listened to "the orange one" front to back last night. I must say, JT's new Man of the Woods album is great. The mastering was done so well, best sounding CD I've played on my system. High five to RCA. Crisp vocals, smooth mids and tight, hard hitting lows. Every song was thoroughly enjoyable save two. Yea, I have a crush on JT, since way back, Justified, Alpha Dog, yanno, so sue me. :p

The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

Futuresex / Lovesounds
Timberlake, Justin

Man Of The Woods
Justin Timberlake

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought this from Walmart yesterday. There were only 2 copies left on the shelf when I got there last night.

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
I just pulled the trigger on PSA 15V number two. Very excited to see how two subs evens and increases the bass response in my HT!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I scored a steal of a deal on a nearly new miniDSP HA-DSP on eBay, miniDSP's take on a portable headphone amp. Even when setting the EQ by ear, it's an outstanding little portable headphone DSP. In addition to EQ, it has a crossfeed feature that lets me bleed some of the left channel into the right with a delay, and vice versa. I was planning to go to bed 2 hours ago but I can't stop listening. One of these days I'll get a measurement rig so I can EQ them properly and try adding FIR filters to flatten the phase response. I'm in no hurry, though.

I also got a pair of cheap headphones for my daughter, the Monoprice Essentials on-ears. For < $15 they really sound better than they ought to. Bass is a little exaggerated, trumpets sound unsupported, comfort is lacking, and there's only so much detail you can wring out of $13 headphones of course. But they're aurally impressive for their cost. Every register is well-represented: sub bass pressurizes nicely, bass has a nice kick, midbass isn't bloated, midrange isn't recessed, high treble is reasonably controlled, and the sibilant range isn't obnoxious. My daughter is pleased with them. Her cartoonish kid headphones kept falling off her head and sounded like garbage. This is an audiophile upgrade for her. For anyone looking for dirt cheap headphones, especially for someone with a little head, these are Big Lots headphone killers. If you're buying for a kid, be sure to set a volume limit on whatever devices they use, as these headphones are pretty sensitive and are low impedance.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Been enjoying a lot of different music. One notable thing on some of this older stuff being, the living part of the music has not been edited out. It's been like getting a speaker upgrade.

Incredible and effortless voice from this guy. I remember him when I was growing up, and then just forgot about it until the other day.

Donny Hathaway. Tragic story with this one. Paranoid Schizophrenic ends up letting himself out of a 15 story hotel balcony at age 34. But the voice, even if this is not your stomping grounds, is undeniable. Music you can still feel. Unlike what is currently available today. And people wonder why so many of us were so let down by rap/hip-hop.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Been enjoying a lot of different music. One notable thing on some of this older stuff being, the living part of the music has not been edited out. It's been like getting a speaker upgrade.

Incredible and effortless voice from this guy. I remember him when I was growing up, and then just forgot about it until the other day.

Donny Hathaway. Tragic story with this one. Paranoid Schizophrenic ends up letting himself out of a 15 story hotel balcony at age 34. But the voice, even if this is not your stomping grounds, is undeniable. Music you can still feel. Unlike what is currently available today. And people wonder why so many of us were so let down by rap/hip-hop.

If you are let down by hip-hop, then you are listening to the wrong groups!

The best hip-hop tends to be based on Jazz cuts.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought the following albums;

Frigs "Basic Behaviour"

Franz Ferdinand "Always Ascending"

Jim Hendrix "Both Sides of The Sky"

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
If you are let down by hip-hop, then you are listening to the wrong groups!

The best hip-hop tends to be based on Jazz cuts.
Based on, or sampled from? A genre where one can buy their 'beats' in a box? I tried to like it. Of all the music genres, it was the one, that for me personally, became the most trendy-predictable/used up the fastest.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Based on, or sampled from? A genre where one can buy their 'beats' in a box? I tried to like it. Of all the music genres, it was the one, that for me personally, became the most trendy-predictable/used up the fastest.
It could be both or either.

Yeah, hip-hop tends to take samples, and the best samples IMO are indeed from Jazz. But, I much prefer "underground hip-hop", which would be better described as "non-commercialized hip-hop".

For Jazz samplers, I'm thinking of old school groups like De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.

If you want hip-hop with real instruments and live bands, then listen to the likes of Guru, J. Davis Trio, and The Roots.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis