Needing new AVR, or switch to separates?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes the Krell is rated for continuous use at 1ohm. FYI. We agree to disagree It’s all fun and games until someone get hurt . Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speaking of hurt, can you get rid of the stupid tapatalk add from your settings?

If you have speakers that need welding status amps great, personally wouldn't want to own them.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yes the Krell is rated for continuous use at 1ohm. FYI. We agree to disagree It’s all fun and games until someone get hurt . Lol.

That Krell design is indeed "OVERKILL" and you pay for it.:D

In contrast, the QSC DCA1222 amps that I am using can drive loads down to 1.6 ohms and they cost a lot less than the Krells. They won't continuously accept loads below that figure, however.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From liquidaudio

The KSA-150 will deliver 300 watts per channel into 4 ohms, 600 watts per channel into 2 ohms and 1,200 watts per channel into 1 ohm. The KSA-150 is fully capable of driving impedances below 1 ohm. Consider this thing able to weld speaker cables, so despite the excellent protection circuitry, BE CAREFUL!!
As always, you can visit the HiFi Engine for an owner’s manual and other details, or get the manual directly from Krell!

Who is liquid audio and where are the test results?

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Can I post that website on here without getting banned or something?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can I post that website on here without getting banned or something?

Have no idea why, I'd rather see you banned for the use of the tapatalk ad you won't eliminate :)

Just what are their credentials, tho?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I bet that Krell may not be able to do such loads continuously but then, speakers do not have a full band impedance of 1 Ohms that I am aware of.
The 1 ohm dynamic power test is just a torture test. The Apogee Scintilla was rated 1 ohm, I can't think of another one.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Interesting. I’ve run my Krell at 1 ohm for hours running a sub setup with 4 12”.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess I didn't realize op was driving Scintilla speakers...

That's the only reason I could see to spend that much on amplification. There's no real appreciable difference in sq tho given all things equal and both are operating within spec. How many extremely difficult to drive speakers are on the market, really?

I'll save my money for better speakers. Also, ones that don't require an arc welder to drive.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Have no idea why, I'd rather see you banned for the use of the tapatalk ad you won't eliminate :)

Just what are their credentials, tho?
FYI, Carlthess40 may not be able to eliminate the Tapatalk Ad from his messages. I believe it's an automatic commercial. Moreover, he may not be aware of the fact that it is always being sent with each of his messages. I know he isn't the only one using that mobile platform, and I've seen the ad many times with posts from other audioholics as well. Probably Tapatalk wants free publicity.:)

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The hard line approach (AVR = bad vs. sperates = good), is not a judicious stance. The capability of power amps (within AVRs or not) need to be dictated by the choice of speaker (efficiency and impedance profile) and size of the listening space (10'x10' room or big theater).

The economies of scale make AVRs the best bang for buck on the processing side. The Marantz pre-pro with nearly identical internals to their top AVRs are about the same price. It would seem the latter, with the included amps as a freebie (one more than sufficient for a majority of home AV applications) leaves only one justifiable argument for the pre-pro. (The argument being, a buyer already has satisfactory power amps.)

The permanence of a quality dedicated amp, matched appropriately to speaker/listener demands, is undeniable.

I'm a firm believer that offloading the LCR to a dedicated amp (if needed) and using the AVR's internal amps for remaining speakers, is the best approach.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
So every time I send a message it has a add with it? This bites. Im sorry about this guys. I had no idea about that

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting. I’ve run my Krell at 1 ohm for hours running a sub setup with 4 12”.

I can do that too with my smallest amp, but I would not crank the volume up.:D

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Those of you using Tapatalk, please go to the settings and shut that damn thing OFF. It can be done, put a minute's worth of effort into it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The hard line approach (AVR = bad vs. sperates = good), is not a judicious stance. The capability of power amps (within AVRs or not) need to be dictated by the choice of speaker (efficiency and impedance profile) and size of the listening space (10'x10' room or big theater).

The economies of scale make AVRs the best bang for buck on the processing side. The Marantz pre-pro with nearly identical internals to their top AVRs are about the same price.
Not if you compare their top prepro to top AVR ($3,999 vs $2,199), the prepro costs much more, even more than Denon's top AVR.

Likewise, the top Denon AVP-A1HDCI, $7,500 costs more than their top AVR-5805, $6,000, closer to the AVR-5805 Mk2, $7,000. That should make your point even stronger.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess I didn't realize op was driving Scintilla speakers...

That's the only reason I could see to spend that much on amplification. There's no real appreciable difference in sq tho given all things equal and both are operating within spec. How many extremely difficult to drive speakers are on the market, really?

I'll save my money for better speakers. Also, ones that don't require an arc welder to drive.
Very funny, I only mentioned the Scintilla because of mtry's post about 1 ohm full band speaker. The OP has Polk speakers, I think...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
170 into a 1 ohm load ......... ??

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-3805-receiver-glance

as for the 'new' soon to be released Magnepan 30.7, well yes, there are no reviews of it yet. When it's released I can't wait to see how many are powered by 'AVR's' !
Yep, the Denon 3805 was measured by by S&V to output 162.3 watts/8ohms/1% THD x 2Ch and 243.0 watts/4ohms x 2Ch.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-3805-receiver-ht-labs-measures#bGldMrKAvqE0zDBp.99

When AVTech measured the 3805, they got 165W/8ohms/0.5% THD x 2Ch. Dynamic output was 185W/8ohms/1% THD, 307W/4ohms/1% THD, 311W/2ohms/1% THD, and 170W/1ohms/1% THD.

http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download/reports/aug04/denonavr3805.html

Quite impressive power output from a $1,200 MSRP 3000-series Denon AVR.

If the Magnepan 30.7 measures similarly to the other Magnepan measured on Stereophile, where the minimum impedance is 3 ohms and sensitivity is 84-85dB/w/m, then I see absolutely no reason by anything that can output 170 watts into 1 ohm cannot power the speaker.

With a sensitivity of 83.5, distance of 10FT, 100W can output 100dB volume. The Denon 3805 can output 243W into 4 ohms. 243W can output 104dB volume.

If you had a 600W amp, 600W would can output 108dB volume.

So why do you think that no AVR can power the Magnepan 30.7 when a $1,200 Denon can output 170W into 1 ohm?

Now I would place one 120mm fan atop the AVR to cool it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis