Needing new AVR, or switch to separates?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Isn't the VTF-2 MK5 from HSU? I found it on their website, I assumed it was one of theirs but I've never actually bought a separate sub and looked at some reviews here and avs -- it seemed to be well received -- and that one was in the price range.
Regarding room size, just going off of body height and laying in weird positions (the best I can do until I can find my damn tape measure..) my bedroom is approximately 13x13

/Edit: It's worth mentioning that I only want to replace it because the sub I have is extremely old. All of my equipment is about 2 years old, and now a "brand new" receiver, but a 15~ y/o sub -- just some peace of mind while I have some expendable money instead of it dying at a time when I might not have the money to replace it immediately. Also, i'm assuming sub technology might have gotten a bit better in 15~ years as well.
The Hsu vtf2 is a good sub, but is $600 delivered (plus sales tax if in CA). I was more meaning $300 is too low a budget on the cheap comment.

T

TGTBATQ

Enthusiast
The Hsu vtf2 is a good sub, but is $600 delivered (plus sales tax if in CA). I was more meaning $300 is too low a budget on the cheap comment.
Sorry, I didn't really know a price point for what was considered decent -- if it's truly worth the investment I'll gladly pay a bit more.
In the 600 range would you say the vtf2 is the best at that point? Or some pros/cons of that and the other contenders for that spot?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
In the 600 range would you say the vtf2 is the best at that point? Or some pros/cons of that and the other contenders for that spot?
Rythmik Audio has a sub in the same price range also worth a look, but the HSU is a great sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, I didn't really know a price point for what was considered decent -- if it's truly worth the investment I'll gladly pay a bit more.
Here's the AH review if you haven't already seen it http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/hsu-vtf-2-mk5

I'd also check out the Rythmik LV-12R at that price (actually a bit less), altho I'd lean more towards the Hsu. I'd also check for B-stock deals at all the sub companies. How big is your room, tho?

T

TGTBATQ

Enthusiast
Square, eh? That isn't particularly good acoustically...

It has no ceiling? :) Is it sealed or open to other rooms? Subs work on volume....
I apologize for the late response, the room size is 12x15 upon getting a tape measure and measuring more accurately.
It's a normal flat ceiling, approx 8~ft -- it's got one doorway which is connected to a T hallway however 90% of the time the door is shut.
/Edit: Looks like the Hsu is right at about $600 shipped. Just seeing the general consensus of the best subs in the 600~ price range?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I apologize for the late response, the room size is 12x15 upon getting a tape measure and measuring more accurately.
It's a normal flat ceiling, approx 8~ft -- it's got one doorway which is connected to a T hallway however 90% of the time the door is shut.
/Edit: Looks like the Hsu is right at about $600 shipped. Just seeing the general consensus of the best subs in the 600~ price range?
I'd think the Hsu VTF2mk5 would be fine in a room that size (1440 cuft), as would the Rythmik LV12R and look to be the leaders in the $600 class at the moment without going DIY.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis