Needing new AVR, or switch to separates?

T

TGTBATQ

Enthusiast
Unfortunately my Yamaha RX-A2000 seems to have bit the dust after only 2.5 years, so I'm really need to replace it!
I'll try to keep this as concise as possible -- My current 5.1 setup is as follows:

Loudspeakers: 2x Polk RTi A9
Center: Polk CSi A6
Surround: 2x Polk FXi A6
Sub: older (approx early 00's) paradigm sub

I do not need ANY video capabilities whatsoever, the amp or separates will only need audio -- the only stipulation is i'll need 2 optical ports and 1 stereo at minimum, not HDMI or video otherwise.
My sources are my computer using optical, TV using optical, and a turntable using stereo -- this is all in one room and no zoning or anything.

I've only ever used receivers, I honestly didn't even understand separates were a thing until I looked into it,
and figured I'd ask people much more knowledgeable about the best route to go for quality as well as longevity, i'm fine with coughing up a bigger price tag if it means build quality, increased warranty, etc.

My budget I'd like to stay up to $1000~.
If I left anything out I apologize, please let me know and I'll respond ASAP.
Thank all of you so much for your time and any advice you can give.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
With separates you will get better sound and life. When ever you remove the amp from the preamp side you don’t have all the heat inside there toasting all the parts inside the preamp and it gives them more room to install better parts. Remember that heat is the killing of all Electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
With separates you will get better sound and life. When ever you remove the amp from the preamp side you don’t have all the heat inside there toasting all the parts inside the preamp and it gives them more room to install better parts. Remember that heat is the killing of all Electronics

I agree with this 100%. Adding a separate amp just does wonders for your speakers. I'll never go back to be quite honest.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
And it’s fun to try one amp with different preamps or other way around.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I suspect with a budget of only 1k you would be better off getting a better AVR. In the world of quality separates 1k doesn't buy much unless you are willing to go used.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome to Audioholics,

Since you only have a budget of about 1K$, I would suggest that you get an AVR with pre-outs for at leasr 7 channels. Later on, you would be able to add external amplifiers should you need some.

Your main Polk speakers are really powerful systems and they benefit from good amplification and they can handle a lot of power without being overdriven.

I would get either a Denon or a Marantz receiver. Within your budget, I am sure that you might be able to acquire for instance a Marantz SR6012, and maybe save money if you succeed in getting last year's model, the SR6011 which has most of the features found in the new 6012. To prolong its life, I would also suggest that you order a AC Infinity Cooling Fan system, such as the Aircom T9:
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Cooling-Receivers-Components/dp/B01LW1Q4X9/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507582715&sr=8-3&keywords=AC+Infinity

That way, you won't be limited if you want to operate with separates in the future and get a pre-processor when the time comes to replace or relocate the AVR. Of course, the sound system requirement also depends on the size of your listening room, the sitting distance from the main speakers and the volume at which you listen to the music and movies.

Please keep us posted on your final decision and your impression with regard to the new equipment that you will have acquired. Don't hesitate to ask more questions should you find them needed.

Cheers,

T

TGTBATQ

Enthusiast
Thank you all so much for the input -- my biggest concern was, as Mikado pointed out, a 1k budget goes far with receivers but not even close to as far with separates.

I definitely don't mind buying used, but as I said earlier, longevity is just as important to me as quality -- if I have to spend more to get a much longer life span, I will -- but I'd prefer to not completely wreck my wallet.
That being the case, what should I look for in used, and new for building a stack (makes/models, what to avoid, etc)

And not that I'm 100% going one way or the other, but do any of you know a decent AVR if I can't shell out for separates?

Again, really, thank you guys for taking the time to answer these questions.
/edit (i just saw the post above me submitted right as I wrote this, sorry! give me just a bit and i'll edit a response)

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you all so much for the input -- my biggest concern was, as Mikado pointed out, a 1k budget goes far with receivers but not even close to as far with separates.

I definitely don't mind buying used, but as I said earlier, longevity is just as important to me as quality -- if I have to spend more to get a much longer life span, I will -- but I'd prefer to not completely wreck my wallet.
That being the case, what should I look for in used, and new for building a stack (makes/models, what to avoid, etc)

And not that I'm 100% going one way or the other, but do any of you know a decent AVR if I can't shell out for separates?

Again, really, thank you guys for taking the time to answer these questions.
/edit (i just saw the post above me submitted right as I wrote this, sorry! give me just a bit and i'll edit a response)

I agree, Marantz or Denon. Myself, like you have not had good luck with Yammie and I've seen others on this board make mention of there less than ideal lifespan of Yammie.........they do make good snowmobiles though !

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
There is no real evidence for this especially the sound part.

so you think there is an AVR out there capable of performing as well on lets say the soon to be released Maggie 30.7's as quality separates ?

T

TGTBATQ

Enthusiast
@Verdinut -- thank you so much for the very informative post, I've always admired the prestige of the Marantz line! One question though, the rx-a2000 that I currently have (albeit while on it's last legs..) is at 130wpc, and the Marantz looks to be 110 -- what difference, if any, would I see with a power downgrade like that? Or in the grand scheme of things, are 20 wpc not very noticeable?

@mtrycrafts -- i'm open to any and all views from both camps :)

@Mikado463 -- I'm a big headphone person, my first pair of "serious" cans were a pair of Denon ahd-5000's, I've always had such a soft spot for them -- I'm also partial to Yamaha's R1 bikes ;) In your experience, or observation, Denon and Marantz seem to give the longest life?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
@Mikado463 -- I'm a big headphone person, my first pair of "serious" cans were a pair of Denon ahd-5000's, I've always had such a soft spot for them -- I'm also partial to Yamaha's R1 bikes ;) In your experience, or observation, Denon and Marantz seem to give the longest life?
There are far more 'AVR' experts on this board than me to be honest. I'm first and foremost a two channel guy. My home theatre system is 'modest' at best. So, with that being said my current AVR (Denon 3300) is performing admirably !

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@Verdinut -- thank you so much for the very informative post, I've always admired the prestige of the Marantz line! One question though, the rx-a2000 that I currently have (albeit while on it's last legs..) is at 130wpc, and the Marantz looks to be 110 -- what difference, if any, would I see with a power downgrade like that? Or in the grand scheme of things, are 20 wpc not very noticeable?

An amplifier rated at 130 watts delivers less than 1dB more than the 110 watts amp. There is not enough difference in power to even notice it with your ears.

I own a Marantz SR5010 which is a 2 year old model and I am very satisfied with its performance. I also like the Audyssey EQ system which it features. I am assured that you would also like what a new Marantz AVR can do. That brand of receiver is one of the most reliable brands.

Last edited:
T

TGTBATQ

Enthusiast
An amplifier rated at 130 watts delivers less than 1dB more than the 110 watts amp. There is not enough difference in power to even notice it with your ears.

I own a Marantz SR5010 which is a 2 year old model and I am very satisfied with its performance. I also like the Audyssey EQ system which it features. I am assured that you would also like what a new Marantz AVR can do. That brand of receiver is one of the most reliable brands.
Well, it looks like I'll likely be pulling the trigger on the SR6011. Final question, and I'm probably answering it myself -- the pricetag of marantz over similar-spec'd AVR's of different brands, comes with the reliability and whatnot of it being, well, a marantz -- is that correct?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well, it looks like I'll likely be pulling the trigger on the SR6011. Final question, and I'm probably answering it myself -- the pricetag of marantz over similar-spec'd AVR's of different brands, comes with the reliability and whatnot of it being, well, a marantz -- is that correct?
To tell you frankly, Marantz is considered by a great percentage of audioholics, as one of the most reliable brands on the market. Their mid-price and flagship products have always received favorable reviews and comments along with those of the Denon brand.

T

TGTBATQ

Enthusiast
* ITEMS ORDERED:
MARANTZ
SR6011 9.2-Ch x 110 Watts Networking A/V Receiver

Hopefully it's as good as everyone says :) Thank all of you so incredibly much for all of the advice! Couldn't have asked for more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Marantz is also marketed that way (Denon and Marantz brands are owned by the same company, share much technology and are now owned by the same company that makes Polk speakers, Sound United). I'd get either Denon or Marantz, whichever set of features work for you for the price you want to pay. I'd get a unit with pre-outs so you can add amplification if needed; an avr works very well as a pre-pro.

However, you really haven't explained what your needs are in terms of listening levels and the distance from your speakers you sit to get an idea....you might want to use an spl calculator to get an idea of your needs http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

As to generally do separates make a great deal of difference? Not in my experience, I have several two channel pre-amps and power amps as well as avrs. I like multi-ch and video incorporated so my main systems are all with avrs at the core; I have used power amps with them in the past but simply don't need them for my current listening levels (being nicer to my ears in my old age). If you did get a power amp I'd suggest a Crown XLS amp as a great value, maybe an XLS1502 and use your L/R speakers with it...if you need it.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
* ITEMS ORDERED:
MARANTZ
SR6011 9.2-Ch x 110 Watts Networking A/V Receiver

Hopefully it's as good as everyone says :) Thank all of you so incredibly much for all of the advice! Couldn't have asked for more.
You're quite welcome!

Let us know about your listening impressions after a short use of this new gear.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis