Needing new AVR, or switch to separates?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Denon AVR-4520CI also seems to be a good one in the same price range.
It is definitely much more powerful but if the OP plans on getting an external amp then the more up to date SR6011 and X4300H are probably the better deals. I like the X4300H mainly because of its better DAC, same as the one in the SR7011 and 7012. I don't believe one can hear the difference between those DACs, but better specs always make me feel better regardless.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For $1K budget, I would get the $1,500 Denon X4300 on sale brand new for $800 on Amazon.

If you desire external amps, with the remaining $200, I would get the Crown XLi800 200W-8ohm/300W-4ohm stereo amp for about $200.

If you desire more channels of external amps, get the Denon X3300 brand new for $600 and get two of the Crown XLi800 amps for 4 Ch of amps for your front 3 speakers.

Best Buy will price match Amazon if you want to buy locally. If anything goes wrong in the next 3 YR, you just have to bring it back to Best Buy and they will take care of the warranty repair.

I don't have zero luck with refurbished Denon, but none of my new or "like-new" Denon I bought from Amazon have ever malfunctioned. But buying it locally at Best Buy may give you a better peace of mind.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with this 100%. Adding a separate amp just does wonders for your speakers. I'll never go back to be quite honest.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
You and I had completely different experiences. Going from an avr to separates did not net me any gains or higher quality sound. I couldn't tell the difference at all.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lol. That’s funny. Your kidding, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. No, he is not kidding. Try it for yourself in a controlled listening test environment. You might be very surprised at the outcome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, it looks like I'll likely be pulling the trigger on the SR6011. Final question, and I'm probably answering it myself -- the pricetag of marantz over similar-spec'd AVR's of different brands, comes with the reliability and whatnot of it being, well, a marantz -- is that correct?
I have the SR6011 and it's a very, very good receiver. $799 is a steal. I eventually added a 200wpc amp to take a little pressure of of it and did not notice any change in sq. I highly recommend the SR6011.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Like I said........show me a capable AVR that will drive the Maggies, for every receiver you think can get the job done there are plenty more separates !

Listen, I was merely trying to point out to you and your legion of 'AVR's are all you'll ever need' followers that sometimes there are far better options as well as situations that beg otherwise.
What are the speaker's specs: min impedance, nom, sensitivity.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
$$$ , name me one receiver that has better build quality than my my Pass X260.8's
Isn't build quality in the eye of the beholder? Or, what do you really mean by "built quality"

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
so you think there is an AVR out there capable of performing as well on lets say the soon to be released Maggie 30.7's as quality separates ?
I just did a quick Google search, but couldn’t find any reviews or tech info on that Magnepan.

I took a quick look at 3 different Magnepan reviews on Stereophile. It seems all 3 speakers had a sensitive of about 83.5 - 85 dB/w/m and minimum impedance of about 3 ohms 20Hz-20kHz.

According to this calculation, 100W would produce 100dB SPL from 10FT distance if speakers have 83.5dB/w/m sensitivity.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

According to AVTech measurements, a Denon AVR 3805 receiver can produce 170 watts into 1 ohms.

AVTech Miller Audio Research Lab Results
Denon 3805:
Dynamic Power Output into 1 ohms: 170W (1%THD)
http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download/reports/aug04/denonavr3805.html

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You are the one asked for an AVR to drive such a speaker, no me. Should be a simple task for you as seem to know them well.
since you already stated you couldn't care less about Magnepan, figure it out for yourself ......

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I just did a quick Google search, but couldn’t find any reviews or tech info on that Magnepan.

I took a quick look at 3 different Magnepan reviews on Stereophile. It seems all 3 speakers had a sensitive of about 83.5 - 85 dB/w/m and minimum impedance of about 3 ohms 20Hz-20kHz.

According to this calculation, 100W would produce 100dB SPL from 10FT distance if speakers have 83.5dB/w/m sensitivity.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

According to AVTech measurements, a Denon AVR 3805 receiver can produce 170 watts into 1 ohms.

AVTech Miller Audio Research Lab Results
Denon 3805:
Dynamic Power Output into 1 ohms: 170W (1%THD)
http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download/reports/aug04/denonavr3805.html
170 into a 1 ohm load ......... ??

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-3805-receiver-glance

as for the 'new' soon to be released Magnepan 30.7, well yes, there are no reviews of it yet. When it's released I can't wait to see how many are powered by 'AVR's' !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis