Needing new AVR, or switch to separates?

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
That denon will die after a hour or so running that low of ohms. I don’t care what the specs say. A AVR can not drive that low ohms very long. You will most definitely need a heavy hitter of a amp for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Do you remember the infinity speakers of the 70s the RS line and such that’s why they were called the amp killersfor a reason that’s why Krall and Carver and McIntosh were king of the hill because they were able to drive such low ohm speakers

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I’ll bet a C note that a all in one AVR unit can’t drive a speaker like that for very long before something bad happens. And that’s were separate units come in and shine like the sun one of their strong suits

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
My Krell amps can drive speaker loads down to one ohm for hours on end without and problems, but my new Marantz MM7055 would start chocking to drive that kind of load. And it’s not some cheap lite wait either

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All this bitching and moaning over the various possibilities relate how to the OP and his speakers?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
All this bitching and moaning over the various possibilities relate how to the OP and his speakers?
oh come on lovin', you know darn well what this is all about ......... the precious 'AVR' camp feels threatened because there was a mention of 'separates'. Heaven forbid we have a view outside of their comfort zone !

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Your right. I’m sure I drove this was off track and I’m sorry about that I got carried away with this. Lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
oh come on lovin', you know darn well what this is all about ......... the precious 'AVR' camp feels threatened because there was a mention of 'separates'. Heaven forbid we have a view outside of their comfort zone !
Whatever, tools for the job and all that. If you have silly speakers that need ridiculous amps to make them work correctly, then that's your gig. An avr is likely all the OP needs OTOH. Your ridiculous Pass amps are nice and all but not worth the price....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
That denon will die after a hour or so running that low of ohms. I don’t care what the specs say. A AVR can not drive that low ohms very long. You will most definitely need a heavy hitter of a amp for that

Except it is not the entire audio band and we are not talking about driving the speaker continuously at that power but dynamic hits. Why not?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I’ll bet a C note that a all in one AVR unit can’t drive a speaker like that for very long before something bad happens. And that’s were separate units come in and shine like the sun one of their strong suits

Really? Even if they are not rated to 1 Ohm loads??? Think about that for a few hours. Or, you imply that they could? Most interesting claim.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

My Krell amps can drive speaker loads down to one ohm for hours on end without and problems, but my new Marantz MM7055 would start chocking to drive that kind of load. And it’s not some cheap lite wait either

Oh, so a Krell is rated for 1 Ohm continuous power? Or that it can do that as a dynamic load? Or, what?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Really? Even if they are not rated to 1 Ohm loads??? Think about that for a few hours. Or, you imply that they could? Most interesting claim.
No, most "audiophile" super amps can do everything no matter what the actual specs are....that's what you're paying for, right? :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

..... the precious 'AVR' camp feels threatened because there was a mention of 'separates'. ...
Really? You know this because one is challenged about some claims made??? LOL

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Not specs, those were lab measurements. Of course an avr cannot drive an 1 ohm load at 170W for one hour, very few power amp can, including Passlabs. AVtech did those test to compare avrs and amps ability in dealing speakers that have impedance dips, many had failed that test, including separate power amps, but the Denon passed. I happen to own and still using my 12 years old 3805 in one of my 2 channel system. It is old but still seems indestructible. Not all avrs are bad. Some are good and reliable.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

No, most "audiophile" super amps can do everything no matter what the actual specs are....that's what you're paying for, right? :)
What was I thinking about. :eek: Thanks for refreshing my rusty memory. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Not specs, those were lab measurements. Of course an avr cannot drive an 1 ohm load at 170W for one hour, very few power amp can, including Passlabs. AVtech did those test to compare avrs and amps ability in dealing speakers that have impedance dips, many had failed that test, including separate power amps, but the Denon passed. I happen to own and still using my 12 years old 3805 in one of my 2 channel system. It is old but still seems indestructible. Not all avrs are bad. Some are good and reliable.
I bet that Krell may not be able to do such loads continuously but then, speakers do not have a full band impedance of 1 Ohms that I am aware of.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You and I had completely different experiences. Going from an avr to separates did not net me any gains or higher quality sound. I couldn't tell the difference at all.

I agree with you to the fact that AVRs don't have amplifiers able to drive stupidly designed speakers with impedance curves going down below 2 ohms. Furtunately, only a small percentage of the speakers on the market have that characteristic.

I build my own speaker enclosures and I choose well designed transducers in each project. Even if a loudspeaker with an impedance curve going down to 1 ohm was considered by all reviewers and testers as the obvious, most accurate and best, even if I was a billionaire, I would not be interested in it.

I prefer to put money in decent speakers and avoid having to spend it in getting the amplifier which will be able to drive a silly low impedance load.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Yes the Krell is rated for continuous use at 1ohm. FYI. We agree to disagree It’s all fun and games until someone get hurt . Lol.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
From liquidaudio

The KSA-150 will deliver 300 watts per channel into 4 ohms, 600 watts per channel into 2 ohms and 1,200 watts per channel into 1 ohm. The KSA-150 is fully capable of driving impedances below 1 ohm. Consider this thing able to weld speaker cables, so despite the excellent protection circuitry, BE CAREFUL!!
As always, you can visit the HiFi Engine for an owner’s manual and other details, or get the manual directly from Krell!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis