Needing new AVR, or switch to separates?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That said, the economy of scale argument (in favor of AVRs) is definitely bolstered by the flagship models.
We are in agreement. The new SR8012 will likely close the gap, speculated to be listed at around $2999, vs the replacement of the AV8802A that will probably be priced above $4,000. Economy of scale is a good argument when you consider the cost difference between the flagship prepro and AVR. The prepros, as you mentioned, have balanced I/O, and a one notch higher DAC, though that may not be the case if the SR8012 is going to be anything like Denon's AVR-X7200W, that shares the same DAC as the AV8802A. Such items don't really cost big dollars compared to the much more expensive large capacitors, power transformers, power transistors and heat sinks found in the flag ship AVRs. Not expensive items, but those AVRs also have at least 11 pairs of binding posts too. I just re-cap my Marantz SM-7, that costs me a fortune. I think my next prepro will likely be an AVR, as i really don't feel I benefit from my ex Marantz flagship prepro at all so it will hard to justify the extra dollars in my next upgrade. Hopefully the prepro will last for another 5 years.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It will be hard to match the value of an AVR...I would have to check to see if this combo offers the connection option you require, but the Outlaw 975 pre/pro and 5000 amp will come in right around your $1k budget and you have the makings of a great 5ch audio system.
IMO, for $50 more, the Denon AVR-X3300W, or for $50 less, the Marantz SR5011 are much better prepros than the Outlaw 975. They also have the added advantage to drive a couple of surround channels.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I hear you guys on the, use an AVR as a pre-pro. My only stickler there is, what the heck to do with all those wasted amps channels in an AVR?? If your not using them for Atmos or extra zones. I feel like buying an extra amp on top of my receiver is like throwing bad money on top of good. I don't have super high $ equipment, and I've toyed with the idea of adding an amp but, in my situation I can't justify the expenditure, but I'm sure other folks here can... The SR8012 looks like an absolute beast!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I hear you guys on the, use an AVR as a pre-pro. My only stickler there is, what the heck to do with all those wasted amps channels in an AVR?? If your not using them for Atmos or extra zones. I feel like buying an extra amp on top of my receiver is like throwing bad money on top of good. I don't have super high $ equipment, and I've toyed with the idea of adding an amp but, in my situation I can't justify the expenditure, but I'm sure other folks here can... The SR8012 looks like an absolute beast!
To follow your argument, the challenge becomes finding a pre-pro which is cost competitive with the pre-pro section of the AVR (forget the amps)!
IME, you will not!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They're not necessarily "wasted"....use the ones you want if you say power your mains with an external amp....for some multi-ch setups you still need an external amp on top of the avr's amps....no harm in letting a few go unused either, and then the others have some more juice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Having good backup Amps is always a good thing, especially when you pay the same or much less than a Pre-pro.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
To follow your argument, the challenge becomes finding a pre-pro which is cost competitive with the pre-pro section of the AVR (forget the amps)!
IME, you will not!
Good point. That's basically why I went the receiver route

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
This is only a test of the emergency broadcast system......LOL!! You all make very valid points, which is why I come here. Thank you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Good point. That's basically why I went the receiver route
I hope you have no doubt that your AVR sounds 99.99% the same as it's Yamaha prepro/amp system, i.e. you won't be able to tell the difference 100% of the time. I have tried both routes, made the wrong turn last time, but now I know.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
IMO, for $50 more, the Denon AVR-X3300W, or for $50 less, the Marantz SR5011 are much better prepros than the Outlaw 975. They also have the added advantage to drive a couple of surround channels.
Yep, agreed...I'm not suggesting otherwise, more or less offering a separates option within the budget.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I hope you have no doubt that your AVR sounds 99.99% the same as it's Yamaha prepro/amp system, i.e. you won't be able to tell the difference 100% of the time. I have tried both routes, made the wrong turn last time, but now I know.
I don't have any doubt on that Peng, this is the best system I ever had, and it plays music absolutely awesome. and movies too. I appreciate your experience and expertise. The only problem is, when working from home, not to want to listen to music all day :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Of course, it's more than $1K budget, but if were to do it all over again today, I would just get one Marantz AV7704 pre-pro + two MM7055 amps (10Ch).

I know I usually recommend just getting an DENON AVR, but I just can't help going with separates for myself. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Of course, it's more than $1K budget, but if were to do it all over again today, I would just get one Marantz AV7704 pre-pro + two MM7055 amps (10Ch).

I know I usually recommend just getting an DENON AVR, but I just can't help going with separates for myself. :D
What, no ATI amps in your dream? I'd think you'd at least want one to cover the subwoofer modules in your T2/Rs :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What, no ATI amps in your dream? I'd think you'd at least want one to cover the subwoofer modules in your T2/Rs :p
Well, you know my dreams change daily. :D

One day, I fancy all-Marantz. Next day it's all-Denon. Next day it's ATI.... :D

But yeah, I think you have a good point about wanting something more like 500W/4 ohms or more to cover all those Subs.

Looks like those Marantz are only 118W x 5Ch into 8 ohms. :eek:

Maybe ~ 200W x 5Ch into 4 ohms???

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av7005-surround-processor-and-mm7055-amplifier-ht-labs-measures

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, you know my dreams change daily. :D

One day, I fancy all-Marantz. Next day it's all-Denon. Next day it's ATI.... :D

But yeah, I think you have a good point about wanting something more like 500W/4 ohms or more to cover all those Subs.

Looks like those Marantz are only 118W x 5Ch into 8 ohms. :eek:

Maybe ~ 200W x 5Ch into 4 ohms???

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av7005-surround-processor-and-mm7055-amplifier-ht-labs-measures
Just get a Speaker Power rack amp for the subs....http://www.speakerpower.net/store/c2/Rack_Amps.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis