Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
So we know
1) Full HDMI update is not until Feb 22
2) The issues Gene found in measurements cannot be fixed by firmware, requires a hardware change in the next iteration of their platform, who knows when that will be. Anyone who already has one of these will have to buy the next gen receiver to fix those issues.

So I agree with Andrew, why would anyone pay more for less now? I've been bitten by "feature coming soon in update" before. I won't fall for that again. If I have to wait until Yamaha fixes this platform, I might as well get an Onkyo RZ70 or RZ90 with Dirac Live Bass Control, they should be available by then.
Why would anyone buy a Yamaha, Adventage AVR? According to his fluff piece of a review, the other's didn't sound better than the A8A, that Z50 his word a lil better on the low-end, but not as good as the A8A over all. That's a very subjective review he did just one dude's opinion nothing else. When he compared the Yamaha V6A to Denons 3700H as in sound quality, saying it was on the same level as the A8A and the 3700H. Just a fluff piece like the other's do. That's no more than a marketing piece video. You didn't notice how the zooming in on the speakers like close ups on the Tweeter and the driver's. Fluff piece not much credibility other than marketing fluff. I had the V6A, it isn't on the same level as the A8A or the Denon 3700H. Can't say about the Marantz, never heard so no comment on that AVR. I've heard that 3700H and in my opinion it's on the same level of sound quality as my RX-A4A but not the V6A. Before I went with the A4A, I went to two audio stores in Lafayette, Best Buy and a private owned store just to do a look see on that 3700H. At the time I had the V6A, sold it off picked up the RX-A1080. I should also state if the price was right and the deal was real, that Denon 3700H would be sitting in my setup. My Dealer made me an offer on the RX-A1080 I couldn't refuse. Saved me over 450 on a new A1080.

Last edited:
S

svenyun

Audiophyte
According to his fluff piece of a review
The only part of his review that I paid attention to is where Andrew accurately pointed out the features that were not available yet, but promised in a future update. I agree with Andrew, why buy an unfinished product, I would not personally buy the Yamaha based on a promise of future firmware updates delivering advertised features. Yamaha may or may not deliver. Been burned by that deception before so I would not take the chance.

Also according to Gene, the receiver still has measurement issues that cannot be fixed until a new model appears.

Also reports of YPAO bugs when measuring more than three points.

Sorry not going to waste my money to be a beta tester, when other options work out of the box.

And this is from someone who owns three Yamaha receivers (older ones without HDMI) that still work fine. I'm not biased against Yamaha, they just dropped the ball on the new models.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
The only part of his review that I paid attention to is where Andrew accurately pointed out the features that were not available yet, but promised in a future update. I agree with Andrew, why buy an unfinished product, I would not personally buy the Yamaha based on a promise of future firmware updates delivering advertised features. Yamaha may or may not deliver. Been burned by that deception before so I would not take the chance.

Also according to Gene, the receiver still has measurement issues that cannot be fixed until a new model appears.

Also reports of YPAO bugs when measuring more than three points.

Sorry not going to waste my money to be a beta tester, when other options work out of the box.

And this is from someone who owns three Yamaha receivers (older ones without HDMI) that still work fine. I'm not biased against Yamaha, they just dropped the ball on the new models.
You get a carrot!! Beta testers does have it's rewards. 5 Years warranty!! :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My Yamaha A8A beta tester story continues.
After trying to fix the sound issues the AVR had after all the calibrations, multi point, height, manual, last night I snapped. I did a factory reset of the AVR only to find that it sounds good - not fantastic - with no calibration. It has a sibilance though but I cannot identify the source yet.
YPAO introduced a strong sibilance and voices became fuzzy without clarity. Regardless the DSP or Surround Mixer used, the AVR was muffling the voices in the center channel. Also, all the sounds that came from there were softer that the ones from the other channels despite the fact that using the tone generator I measured the volume of the center channel 2-3 db above all other speakers.
Redid YPAO calibratien only to have the same issues with voices and center as before the reset.
The AVR still have a very wide soundstage, much wider than the V6A but somehow sounds not as clear. I start to wonder if the unit is not faulty.
What's your thoughts of your AVR for music only use? 2.1? and or 2.2. Don't know if you have 1,2 or ten subs. I went back all the way to page 1 of this thread, and outside of a hand full posts not much is mention on thoughts for music use. Which is sad in a way. Don't get me wrong I like HT also, but there's a whole Lot more than just, DSP, RC, and so. How does Your AVR sound for music use only?

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
What's your thoughts of your AVR for music only use? 2.1? and or 2.2. Don't know if you have 1,2 or ten subs. I went back all the way to page 1 of this thread, and outside of a hand full posts not much is mention on thoughts for music use. Which is sad in a way. Don't get me wrong I like HT also, but there's a whole Lot more than just, DSP, RC, and so. How does Your AVR sound for music use only?
My receiver sounds bad. I played music from Apple TV in Pure Direct, Straight, Surround Decoder, AI and some DSP modes. I have artefacts over sound, fuzzy voices. I talked with the seller and I will return it as defective. They will send it to service. It is a really sad day.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My receiver sounds bad. I played music from Apple TV in Pure Direct, Straight, Surround Decoder, AI and some DSP modes. I have artefacts over sound, fuzzy voices. I talked with the seller and I will return it as defective.
It's defective unit huh?

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
Seems like it. Not calibrated sounds good from spatiality but not very clear. Calibrated everything sounds fuzzy, muffled voices plus artifacts on sound regardless the quality of the source.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
My receiver sounds bad. I played music from Apple TV in Pure Direct, Straight, Surround Decoder, AI and some DSP modes. I have artefacts over sound, fuzzy voices. I talked with the seller and I will return it as defective.
QC hasn't done its job correctly. It's not normal to receive a defective unit for a "top of the line" product. I am sorry for you.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
QC hasn't done its job correctly. It's not normal to receive a defective unit for a "top of the line" product. I am sorry for you.
Have you read Gene's thread, of product of the Year awards? I posted up on his thread, asking so no AVR year award? Gene responded back that Yamaha wasn't even in the running because of his findings on the RX- A6A.:eek:o_O For Gene to state that, Wow! 1st ever for him to say that of Any AVR, that I know of. Yamaha fanboyz, Yamaha done got kicked in Da Balls!! Oh Ouch!! :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha? What the hell man!! Yamaha be like,
Screenshot_20211206-051704~3.png

Lmao, I don't know man...

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Very strange... I am starting to think that the unit sent to Gene might have had similar issues mentioned above by @Majorusa which caused the bad measurements. If there are units here that sound good and people love them, probably their units are OK. But not every unit is that way... Who knows...

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Very strange... I am starting to think that the unit sent to Gene might have had similar issues mentioned above by @Majorusa which caused the bad measurements. If there are units here that sound good and people love them, probably their units are OK. But not every unit is that way... Who knows...
I think Yamaha acknowledged and confirmed Gene measurements

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I'm jacking around, my RX-A4A has performed without issues. Nothing but Yamaha awesomeness! :) it happens, like one dude buys a new truck nothing wrong and another dude buys the same new truck but his new truck was built on a Friday and all kinds of Gremlins in it stays in the dealership for months getting fixed with recalls.:D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Well Onkyo made good on their chip issue,will Yamaha do the same? Onkyos diabolical lasted 10 years.
Screenshot_20211206-082300~2.png
Screenshot_20211206-082300~3.png

E

EB1000

Audiophyte
3000$ for this cr@p? Seriously?

This bug is from the stock FW and still there after two major updates...

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic

Please can you stick to AudioScienceReview forum and not polluting this forum , we see alllll your posts accusing Gene from hiding the truth, trying to be "gentle with Yamaha" blablabla... so what's the point to come here to once again spreading useless videos... You are soooo boring and don't bring anything interesting.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic

This video is showing a know problem with Dolby Vision and certain players (Firestick, Shield TV, etc.) and certain TVs. This problem is not the AVR. There is not enough information given in that clip to know. What version firestick, what TV, is the video be streamed from Plex or some other source. Another thing to note is why does this person have Enhancer on with Dolby Atmos/DD+?

Last edited:
Torqueflite

Torqueflite

Enthusiast
Hi, first post. Had been an audio man for many years and about 7 years ago sold all my stuff and got a "theater system. My plasma has the green line of death so I started looking around at what was going on in the audio video world. I realized that I needed a OLED and would have to spend some money so I set a budget and decided to replace everything.
Realizing that I would need a better receiver I at first set my sights on a Nad but came to the conclusion that it did not offer much value for the money and Nad didn't want you to use anything but 8 ohm speakers. My current one is a Dennon AVR E400 so it will not do all the stuff that was needed. So for me it seemed that the Yamaha or the Anthem would perhaps what I would like. Just got a RX-A4A from Crutchfield as a open box and am waiting for it to arrive. My son games but is happy with what I have now and as far as I can tell most of the issues are in the gaming world and would not affect me.
While I have enjoyed the petty bickering it does seem to get in the way of interesting stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis