Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My personal best is my Denon AVC-A1D that lasted 19 years before failure… wait nope my Yamaha Pianocraft is 22 years old and still works!
My personal best, was my 1st Sony ES AVR paired up with a Carver TFM-25 and two Giant Cherwin Vega monster towers! 18" driver, two 7" mid driver and a horn Tweeter! Had a BBE sonic maximizer patched in also.. more than likely why I got tendonitis in my ears now. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I highly doubt any room correction software from any brand offers a magic fix for every shortcoming in a end user's room/setup.
Does Yamaha have an app that lets you go in and make precise curve adjustments and works as well as a MiniDSP 2x4 HD? The MultEQ app editor is a game changer and gives you complete control over your fr. I do have a Mini, but after the app editor came out I don't even need it. Aside from that tho, I think Yamaha is just as good as Denon or Marantz.

You act like I'm in this thread bashing Yamaha and that's just not true. I'd be tickled pink with a new Yamaha flagship avr.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
this is Yamaha's first real debacle since I joined Audioholics and it comes at a time where there were shortages due to Covid. I do agree that Yamaha should have delayed release for one more year, releasing in 2021 instead of 2020 and tested more thoroughly
Debacle - yes. More testing - yes.
Covid - no. New HDMI boards were ready before Covid and showcased at CES in Janaury 2020. They had decided the board before Covid. Biggest stupidity was not to test AVRs with pre-production units of consoles and GPUs. Four simple phone calls to Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD and Sony. Can it be more difficult...?
Up until 2020, Yamaha was THE company to beat in terms of QC and reliability.
Up until. Yes.
stop being a bunch of glamour pussy gossips with your poop talk. Its really unbecomming to drone on mindlessly and endlessly.
Ey? What was that about?
Yamaha is my favourite AVR company and I have had their products at home for more than a decade. Should this make me brainless fan club member? No. Some products are good, some have badly designed solutions, like boards on three lower tier 2020 models. It is what it is.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Does Yamaha have an app that lets you go in and make precise curve adjustments and works as well as a MiniDSP 2x4 HD? The MultEQ app editor is a game changer and gives you complete control over your fr. I do have a Mini, but after the app editor came out I don't even need it. Aside from that tho, I think Yamaha is just as good as Denon or Marantz.

You act like I'm in this thread bashing Yamaha and that's just not true. I'd be tickled pink with a new Yamaha flagship avr.
You are evading the questions I asked.

We are not talking about minidsp. But, I have had a minidsp SHD for coming up on 2 years and I can answer anything about it. Go back and read what exactly I asked you.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Covid - no. New HDMI boards were ready before Covid and showcased at CES in Janaury 2020. They had decided the board before Covid. Biggest stupidity was not to test AVRs with pre-production units of consoles and GPUs. Four simple phone calls to Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD and Sony. Can it be more difficult...?

Up until. Yes.

Ey? What was that about?
Yamaha is my favourite AVR company and I have had their products at home for more than a decade. Should this make me brainless fan club member? No. Some products are good, some have badly designed solutions, like boards on three lower tier 2020 models. It is what it is.
There he is guys!! Hit with bunches of showballs!! Lol. Nothing's wrong bro.. Yamaha gonna replace them boards out for free!!! Think of it like when new car owners get a recall on their new car to bring it into the dealership to replace throttle position sensors.. happens all the time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You are evading the questions I asked.

We are not talking about minidsp. But, I have had a minidsp SHD for coming up on 2 years and I can answer anything about it. Go back and read what exactly I asked you.
I'm talking about YPAO vs MultEQ, which allows you to make precise enough adjustments to your curve that it can replace a MiniDSP 2x4 HD. Does YPAO have a function like that?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
We are not talking about minidsp. But, I have had a minidsp SHD for coming up on 2 years and I can answer anything about it.
You wouldn't need a mini if you had Audyssey and the editor app. There's nothing I can't do with Audyssey now that the mini did for me. I can view my room curve and apply equally precise adjustments as I did with the mini. Audyssey rendered it obsolete for my system.
Go back and read what exactly I asked you.
Your questions are irrelevant as to why I prefer using Audyssey with the app.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I'm talking about YPAO vs MultEQ, which allows you to make precise enough adjustments to your curve that it can replace a MiniDSP 2x4 HD. Does YPAO have a function like that?
When you run YPAO and it gives you a "flat" PEQ adjustment, the inverse of it is actually a very accurate measurement of what's going on in your room. You can copy it to "manual" and work from there for any target you wanna get to. If you had explored one of their modern flagships, you would know this. If you had a receiver made in 1998 from them, you wouldn't know this maybe. You would be praising your modern Audyssey feature on your modern flagship D/M receiver that you have instead perhaps.

And this is why I asked you which year/model# of a receiver from each brand did you directly compare side by side? (which you refuse to directly answer at the moment, I am starting to see why).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When you run YPAO and it gives you a "flat" PEQ adjustment, the inverse of it is actually a very accurate measurement of what's going on in your room. You can copy it to "manual" and work from there for any target you wanna get to. If you had explored one of their modern flagships, you would know this. If you had a receiver made in 1998 from them, you wouldn't know this maybe. You would be praising your modern Audyssey feature on your modern flagship D/M receiver that you have instead perhaps.

And this is why I asked you which year/model# of a receiver from each brand did you directly compare side by side? (which you refuse to directly answer at the moment, I am starting to see why).
You have no idea what you can do with the MultEQ editor app, that much is clear. I'm not gonna continue to bicker with you about it. Do some research on it and you'll see what I mean. I have total and complete control over my fr to the point I don't need the mini anymore. It really is a game changer.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Many of the comments I’ve made are not anti-Yamaha, rather pro-consumer. The gist of my message across this and many other threads is that all of the releases from 2020-2021 have been flawed. To be fair, at least the only flaw from the 2020 SU machines was in the HDMI, which they addressed with their dongle: Demon’s machines seemed to even increase their performance edge across the board.

My view on Yamaha is that I WANT them to fix their issues because robust competition is important and benefits us, the consumers. The same goes for Onkyo.

I hope we see some reviews from Gene and Amir both, and that it sparks a response from Yamaha to fix whatever flaws @gene hinted at finding on his bench.

I would like to upgrade in 2022 if possible, and I want it to be a pain in my @$$ to choose between 3 or 5 machines rather than being forced to wait or settle fo the least bad of 2 options. ;)
Finally, you say what you mean without mindless put downs all the time. And you know what? I agree with this post. I hope Yamaha engineering learned a lesson and not let the mindless marketing midgets run Yamaha.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Covid shortages also means people resource shortages like those needed for testing.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
You have no idea what you can do with the MultEQ editor app, that much is clear. I'm not gonna continue to bicker with you about it. Do some research on it and you'll see what I mean. I have total and complete control over my fr to the point I don't need the mini anymore. It really is a game changer.
Right...right.. I read all about the minidsp/Dirac "game changer" before I got it. Now, I know better. When I get my hands on this gamechanger Audyssey one day, I should know more. Either way, if you had jettisoned this thread and sang praise of your "game changer" in a D/M thread, I guess It could have possibly saved you from the "bickering" in the first place.

Some guys get magic fixes and game changing from room correction software, I guess. I am just not one of those guys. It's all good man as long as it sounds wonderful to you.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Finally, you say what you mean without mindless put downs all the time. And you know what? I agree with this post. I hope Yamaha engineering learned a lesson and not let the mindless marketing midgets run Yamaha.
If you say so… but I know what I’ve said and my message has been consistent, and I stand by my words: any who want to buy a new machine would be better served by waiting rather than supporting the companies who have produced machines with flawed HDMI implementation.

If you want to show me anything to prove I’ve insulted Yamaha out of hand as a malicious unfounded statement, I’ll gladly retract that statement.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Right...right.. I read all about the minidsp/Dirac "game changer" before I got it. Now, I know better. When I get my hands on this gamechanger Audyssey one day, I should know more. Either way, if you had jettisoned this thread and sang praise of your "game changer" in a D/M thread, I guess It could have possibly saved you from the "bickering" in the first place.

Some guys get magic fixes and game changing from room correction software, I guess. I am just not one of those guys. It's all good man as long as it sounds wonderful to you.
06-22-20 final fr-1.jpg

That's my bass response using only Audyssey and the editor app. So yeah, I like room correction for my subs (which I can limit Audyssey to correct for by themselves without touching the main speakers) and it sounds wonderful, especially when I apply a room curve, also using Audyssey alone.

06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ1-1.jpg
06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ2-1.jpg
06-22-20 house curve-1.jpg

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Covid shortages also means people resource shortages like those needed for testing.
C'mon man. We are talking about the period before Covid. Every single vendor has a testing lab in their HQ. New AVR designs were finalised in Q4 2019 and then showed at CES in January. Pre-production units of HDMI 2.1 sources were available, only if you had enough imagination to ask for them.

I am saying all this as they really need to learn lessons. Everybody wants reliable gear and good competition. That's why criticism has to be robust and honest, otherwise nothing changes.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Well said brother, I pickup on what @ryanosaur and @AVR Enthu are getting at on the Yamaha issues, I didn't take any of the post as a attack. They posted up some informative info. Maybe I jack around a little to much, it isn't meant to make fun of their choice of gear, can't really they got some bada$$ gear that speaks for itself. When @ryanosaur posted up about us Yamaha fanboyz being guinea pigs, ;) I knew he was just chunking out some snowballs on us Yammaham bone fanboyz. :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
C'mon man. We are talking about the period before Covid. Every single vendor has a testing lab in their HQ. New AVR designs were finalised in Q4 2019 and then showed at CES in January. Pre-production units of HDMI 2.1 sources were available, only if you had enough imagination to ask for them.

I am saying all this as they really need to learn lessons. Everybody wants reliable gear and good competition. That's why criticism has to be robust and honest, otherwise nothing changes.
Who (they need to learn lesson) didn't both Denon and Yamaha post up before any units where released for sale, acknowledging to the public their AVR's had issues. It was reported by Gene on AH, that I noticed it back in umm May I believe. You're stating that they both knew their AVR' s weren't ready?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

Up until. Yes.

Ey? What was that about?
(brainless fan club member?) Wait what! Oh you done bought it now mister! You don't know it but your on, Double Secret Probation!. :D Was it fair when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor? Toga Toga!..:D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I totally understand but it does get a little old when I keep reading the same negative regurgitated posts when someone says something positive about these receivers before Gene's Ultimate red light/green light review. However after saying that I did discover the "Ignore" option and this thread has become more bearable for me... :cool:
Well, some use facts with mixed in shots at new Aventage owner's. With like umm , (guinea pigs) umm (brainless fan club members). Lol, that there is some funny sh&t I tell you. Who spends, 4K on two speakers with 5 1/4" shrimp midget drivers, than gotta spend 3k on two, 3 subs to get bass cause them, home made midget driver speakers can't hit low enough Bass. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis