Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
If you meant by your wife, I quite understand. The good thing is my wife enjoys heavy bass as much or maybe more than I, so acceptance factor has been conquered. I consider myself lucky?
Nope just for me.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
So, what happened to a long-awaited A6A review?
And Gene also already spoiled that the bad measurements are acknowledged by Yamaha and can't be fix by a firmware update. Yamaha haters would have some arguments :p :p :p :p :p

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
After the novelty wears off you start to see the imperfections.
YPAO is buggy.
Bug no. 1:
It corrected the sub so much that it stripped the oomph from it. Testing some movies with explosions I noticed that Yamaha A8A started to sound like Denon, no dynamics, no shaking, etc. The reason is this .
1637362372659.png

This is how much the YPAO corrected the subwoofer. In order to gain back the bass and the shaking of the couch I used the PEQ by copying the Flat and corrected the subwoofer like this.
1637362539079.png

In addition I raised the subwoofer trim to +3db and upped the Bass Tone to +1db. I got it back but there is still room for improvement.

Bug no.2:
This is how YPAO corrected my speakers.
1637362824306.png

See anything wrong? Other than the SW? It did not correct any of the presence speakers!

Bug no. 3:
Though corrected, the PEQ for the surround speakers does not appear in the Web Interface.
1637362988324.png

They appear in the TV interface not in the web interface.

Bug no 4.
The order of the PEQ frequencies is garbled in the web interface.
1637363162571.png

Bug no 5. (Tentative) AI Sound introduces artefacts or makes different sounds disappear in certain scenes. I was able to replicate the behavior several times. I will try to make a video.

I calibrated the AVR yesterday, three positions and angles.
This is the Height result.
1637363523001.png

This is the angle measurement.
1637363588727.png

Where are the angles of the Dolby atmos speakers? Where is the angle of the center? Maybe I do not understand how the whole thing is functioning.

I am pretty underwhelmed right now. Without YPAO, yesterday the whole thing sounded better. I will redo the measurements tomorrow to see if I get same results but the first experience, after the V6A which YPAO calibration was great is not good at all.

C'mon Yamaha, you can do better than this! Where is the QA? This is your flagship receiver!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
And Gene also already spoiled that the bad measurements are acknowledged by Yamaha and can't be fix by a firmware update. Yamaha haters would have some arguments :p :p :p :p :p
It could be just that A6A. Gene may have gotten one that was built on a Friday.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
YPAO is buggy.
Bug no. 1:
It corrected the sub so much that it stripped the oomph from it. Testing some movies with explosions I noticed that Yamaha A8A started to sound like Denon, no dynamics, no shaking, etc. The reason is this .
View attachment 51629
This is how much the YPAO corrected the subwoofer. In order to gain back the bass and the shaking of the couch I used the PEQ by copying the Flat and corrected the subwoofer like this.
View attachment 51631
In addition I raised the subwoofer trim to +3db and upped the Bass Tone to +1db. I got it back but there is still room for improvement.

Bug no.2:
View attachment 51632

See anything wrong? Other than the SW? It did not correct any of the presence speakers!

Bug no. 3:
Though corrected, the PEQ for the surround speakers does not appear in the Web Interface.
View attachment 51633

Bug no 4.
View attachment 51634

Bug no 5. (Tentative) AI Sound introduces artefacts or makes different sounds disappear in certain scenes. I was able to replicate the behavior several times. I will try to make a video.

View attachment 51635

View attachment 51636

Where are the angles of the Dolby atmos speakers? Where is the angle of the center? Maybe I do not understand how the whole thing is functioning.

I am pretty underwhelmed right now. Without YPAO, yesterday the whole thing sounded better. I will redo the measurements tomorrow to see if I get same results but the first experience, after the V6A which YPAO calibration was great is not good at all.

C'mon Yamaha, you can do better than this! Where is the QA? This is your flagship receiver!
How do you like your A8A for music?

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
YPAO is buggy.
Bug no. 1:
View attachment 51629
View attachment 51631

Bug no.2:
View attachment 51632

Bug no. 3:
View attachment 51633

Bug no 4.
View attachment 51634

View attachment 51635

View attachment 51636

The same bug was in the A2080 YPAO with the presence speakers if you select Dolby Enabled SP, it doesn't do anything. I needed to change it to either rear height or overhead for it to work.

This is my last run from yesterday on the A8A -

A8Aparam.jpg

Hadn't noticed it had done for my subs this last time - thought it worked previously and left them fairly flat. Wondered where my bass had gone! :)

J

JNMNL52

Enthusiast
YPAO is buggy.
Bug no. 1:
View attachment 51629
View attachment 51631

Bug no.2:
View attachment 51632

Bug no. 3:
View attachment 51633

Bug no 4.
View attachment 51634

View attachment 51635

View attachment 51636

This is very disappointing as I am on the fence to buy a A8A and YPAO was one of my major concerns. Looking forward to your second run.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
This is very disappointing as I am on the fence to buy a A8A and YPAO was one of my major concerns. Looking forward to your second run.
Get it! You can tweak out what you don't like thing has a PEQ, that if used right you can tweak to you fall over.

C

chapp

Audioholic
Majorusa: you definitely have to manually adjust the settings. Sometimes the sub is set too hot and the equalization cuts it down to match tone of the center channel sometimes the FL and FR. I did find that you will have to increase the sub level, but it helps if you turn down the sub a little prior to the YPAO config. This is the reason that it is advisable to get a SPL meter and manually check/adjust all levels. I hope it improves for you. I use these measurements as a starting point and then do my own thing to my liking. I have the same issues with the Denons. That's why there is a PEQ

C

chapp

Audioholic
Denon's 8500HA vs Yamaha's A8A.
Raw Power: Yamaha easily takes the lead on this. Level to level using a SPL and test tones, then Music and Movies. You have to turn up the Denon's db level a bit more to attain the volume of the Yamaha. The bass is also more Dynamic and clean on the Yamaha. To attain the same levels on the SPL
Yamaha: -18.5db
Denon: -10db
I was very surprised by this. The bass is more distorted and fatiguing on the Denon. Without doing anything to both of them clearly the Yamaha sounds way better, and my wife ran out the room when I started testing the Denon. I will start doing some equalizing using the MultEQ XT32 app. Cost me $20.00 a while back from the app store.

J

JNMNL52

Enthusiast
Raw Power: Yamaha easily takes the lead on this. Level to level using a SPL and test tones, then Music and Movies. You have to turn up the Denon's db level a bit more to attain the volume of the Yamaha. The bass is also more Dynamic and clean on the Yamaha. To attain the same levels on the SPL
I was very surprised by this. The bass is more distorted and fatiguing on the Denon. Without doing anything to both of them clearly the Yamaha sounds way better, and my wife ran out the room when I started testing the Denon. I will start doing some equalizing using the MultEQ XT32 app. Cost me $20.00 a while back from the app store.
@chapp-When you get a chance, could you please comment on the YPAO calibration of your A8A?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Just a note, asking is all, where both in Pure direct mode? When you ran that test.

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
YPAO is buggy.
Bug no. 1:
View attachment 51629
View attachment 51631

Bug no.2:
View attachment 51632

Bug no. 3:
View attachment 51633

Bug no 4.
View attachment 51634

View attachment 51635

View attachment 51636

Bug 3 - likely the web interface had disconnected itself from the receiver. If still connected it does update
Bug 4. - yes they are out of order everywhere now (on mine anyway) - dunno why they changed that

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Just want to thank you for sharing. And I am curious about third party app/mic to calibrate. I have no idea on how it works. Does it send a signal to the amp per speaker, register distortion and levels and then provide some curves you manually enter in PEQ ?

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
The same bug was in the A2080 YPAO with the presence speakers if you select Dolby Enabled SP, it doesn't do anything. I needed to change it to either rear height or overhead for it to work.

This is my last run from yesterday on the A8A -

View attachment 51638

Hadn't noticed it had done for my subs this last time - thought it worked previously and left them fairly flat. Wondered where my bass had gone! :)
Should the line be straight? The dip in your subs means there is less DB at that frequency? Would you thne have to fix through PEQ? I am new to how to make the ypao better or correct. My subs don't have the punch they used too

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
YPAO is buggy.
Bug no. 1:
View attachment 51629
View attachment 51631

Bug no.2:
View attachment 51632

Bug no. 3:
View attachment 51633

Bug no 4.
View attachment 51634

View attachment 51635

View attachment 51636

Hmm. That’s funny. ’Cause mine looks like this:

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Just want to thank you for sharing. And I am curious about third party app/mic to calibrate. I have no idea on how it works. Does it send a signal to the amp per speaker, register distortion and levels and then provide some curves you manually enter in PEQ ?
I also need help in how to use PEQ. Sounds like after I use PEQ it will sound beast.

I am very happy with the sound so far but lacking bass and I bet other spots too just don't have the time to test too much as my boys take my time

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would say this - how any Yamaha or Marantz/Denon sounds is 100% dependent on the SETUP.

IOW, you could have 100 Yamaha A8 in 100 rooms and every A8 could sound differently.

It’s the same way with every AVR/AVP.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis