Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
dsavage30

dsavage30

Audiophyte
Ummm.
Which doesn't have reliable hdmi 2.1. So... your point?

And, though it's not ideal, SU's solutions do work, and they are offereing an upgraded Flagship version in the "HA."

I've said this many times before:
WAIT.
Wait until Yamaha gets their sh!t together and gets HDMI 2.1 working , and then, frankly, I would still wait to see what SU has up their sleeve with the 2022 Denon and Marantz lineup. Also, as has been mentioned, we still don't know what problems Gene found in his DUT that concerned him enough to reach out to Yamaha about them.

We need, as consumers, to stop supporting half-baked implementation of goods. Even though it's a fraction of their business... Yamaha is laughing their way to the bank as people lap up these units that aren't even proven to work properly.
(sorry to all those that have them and say they are working great for you, despite not having 2.1 functioning yet.)
Unfortunately, I cant wait. Im moving into my new house, and I wired the room for 7.2.4. So I sold my RX-A2080, as it only had 9 channels. So im in need of a new receiver. I was hoping since the HA model has the updated hdmi board, it would be a reliable solution. Its in stock, and my store is offering $500 off, from $4500 to $4000. Thoughts about its movie sound performance vs yamaha? Im not experienced with denon, have owned 4 or 5 aventages.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Unfortunately, I cant wait. Im moving into my new house, and I wired the room for 7.2.4. So I sold my RX-A2080, as it only had 9 channels. So im in need of a new receiver. I was hoping since the HA model has the updated hdmi board, it would be a reliable solution. Its in stock, and my store is offering $500 off, from $4500 to $4000. Thoughts about its movie sound performance vs yamaha? Im not experienced with denon, have owned 4 or 5 aventages.
Denons are well regarded and test well over at ASR.
I wouldn't hesitate on that.
The only ding I can give it and SU is that they still only half-@ssed the HDMI implementation. It is there, it works, but it is limited as opposed to being available across the full digital board.

Until Yamaha releases their firmware update, I wouldn't gamble on them yet.

If you get the Denon, do you have an opportunity to test it out and return if not satisfied?

dsavage30

dsavage30

Audiophyte
The only ding I can give it and SU is that they still only half-@ssed the HDMI implementation. It is there, it works, but it is limited as opposed to being available across the full digital board.

If you get the Denon, do you have an opportunity to test it out and return if not satisfied?
I would imagine I could return it. The guys are pretty cool down there. At least would be able to exchange it for the yamaha if I hate it, would be my guess. I will ask for sure. Its a great question.

dsavage30

dsavage30

Audiophyte

I was bummed as well with SU only putting in the single 8k port. Seemed weak to me. If your your going to fix it, and upgrade it, then do it right, across the board. That being said, a single port should work for me. I dont own an 8k tv, etc. Im also concerned about all the problems im hearing about running apps on the A8A. Disney+ and Hbo max. Streaming is everything these days, so thats a concern.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Are you using source material with known atmos content?
Yes I am using Finch on my Apple TV, I can check in Sound->Information that the received stream is Atmos/PCM but the front display doesn't display it, maybe just a front display bug. And I found another issue, I can't access to the AVR web interface showcased by Gene, I just access a really simple page where I can do almost nothing like rebooting the AVR but I can't access to configuration etc...

Edit the web interface is working, just have to add /setup to the address

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I was bummed as well with SU only putting in the single 8k port. Seemed weak to me. If your your going to fix it, and upgrade it, then do it right, across the board. That being said, a single port should work for me. I dont own an 8k tv, etc. Im also concerned about all the problems im hearing about running apps on the A8A. Disney+ and Hbo max. Streaming is everything these days, so thats a concern.
I think SU was working still within the framework of their First-Gen chipset. The new lower-tier Denons slated to release this month are likely 2nd-Gen or possibly even 3rd(?). Yamaha is 2nd-gen on these new AVRs and Onkyo is most likely the same.

I'm very interested to see this play out and resolve. It is a dark time for us in the Audio Hobby right now. ;) Plus, I want to upgrade, myself, but won't until this sh!tshow of bed-wetting is resolved. :oops: :rolleyes:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes I am using Finch on my Apple TV, I can check in Sound->Information that the received stream is Atmos/PCM but the front display doesn't display it, maybe just a front display bug. And I found another issue, I can't access to the AVR web interface showcased by Gene, I just access a really simple page where I can do almost nothing like rebooting the AVR but I can't access to configuration etc...

The main question is if there is sound coming out of the Atmos Speakers you have connected?
Perhaps one of out Yamaha owning friends can help walk you through and make certain you are properly set up. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

To change the unit display, press the select knob and then turn it to display the desired information.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've had to crop some of my photos to be able to upload try that if you can. Try out the (Enhancer) settings in your, (Option) settings, click that to on and put (HI-Res Mode) on also. Then go to (Net Radio) find (Chill & Smooth Jazz) station. I have my A4A set to 2.1 for music. YPAO set to on Adaptive DRC set to off. Volume Trim, Subwoofer Trim set to +1.5db. The clarity is ungodly clear almost 3D like.
View attachment 51349
My RX-A2A does not seem to have a "Hi-Res Mode" or I just can't find it. Maybe the RX-A2A lacks a lot of features the A4A and up have.

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
Trying to focus on my job but having a look at this kind of things ;)
I have that sub, also an SVS 3000 Micro with my A8A. They work very well with it - though as with all subs they need appropriate EQ. I am using a Dspeaker Antimode 2 to blend them in at the moment.

As someone else mentioned the sealed subs are usually best for music but the bigger and uglier ported ones work better with movies. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As someone else mentioned the sealed subs are usually best for music but the bigger and uglier ported ones work better with movies.
Nope.
This is a myth. It needs to be stopped from spreading.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I have that sub, also an SVS 3000 Micro with my A8A. They work very well with it - though as with all subs they need appropriate EQ. I am using a Dspeaker Antimode 2 to blend them in at the moment.

As someone else mentioned the sealed subs are usually best for music but the bigger and uglier ported ones work better with movies. :)
"As someone else mentioned the sealed subs are usually best for music but the bigger and uglier ported ones work better with movies. " Well that makes the choice even more complex depending of using a pair of subwoofer when listening to stereo music. If only using subs for movies, Ported, if mix of stereo music and movies then sealed if I understand correctly. God it has been he very good idea to come on this forum to learn half a billion things.

Edit : "Nope.
This is a myth. It needs to be stopped from spreading. "

YES ! Easier to choose

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As I've already linked this once today...

Everybody take a DRINK!

Modern Ported Subwoofers are perfectly capable of doing everything a Sealed Sub can do, AND MORE.
Modern Design and modeling programs have made Drivers and finished Subs perform exemplary.
Just see the latest reviews here on AH of the Arendal and Monolith ported Subs.
Other than size, a Sealed sub has zero advantage. :)

K. Thanks.

Now lets please get back to hoping @gene will post his review, and until then, let's keep bashing the implementation of HDMI 2.1 AVRs.

:D

Peace.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
"Everybody take a DRINK!" -> just have a look at my signature, you'll be drunk :D:p;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis