Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Nvidia shield is the best streaming device. It's can do anything,play every audio format and video format. Plex is amazing if you have a blu ray digital library ☺

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Nvidia shield is the best streaming device. It's can do anything,play every audio format and video format. Plex is amazing if you have a blu ray digital library ☺
Yes I know that's the most versatile smart box/streaming device... But older I become, more I like the Apple eco system integration so I went for an Apple TV. Airplay, watching my photos, Apple+ with all the show on Netflix, Disney+ in one place... I was thinking this thing was a gimmick when first released and now it's one of my favorite Apple product. If only Apple would release a "gaming mac" I would be so happy to get rid of Windows...
Edit:Currently listening to Love for Sale by Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett in atmos/apple music mix using the Apple TV... sounds great

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I have a big doubt about the current decoder used : when checking in sound menu -> information, I can see I receive Atmos/PCM but the front panel of the amp doesn't display Atmos like some pictures I have seen on Yamaha website. Does it mean I am not currently decoding Atmos ? What should I do to get atmos running ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have a big doubt about the current decoder used : when checking in sound menu -> information, I can see I receive Atmos/PCM but the front panel of the amp doesn't display Atmos like some pictures I have seen on Yamaha website. Does it mean I am not currently decoding Atmos ? What should I do to get atmos running ?
If I recall, you don’t have any atmos speakers. Pls correct if this is not the case.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Thank you for remembering my setup ! You mean I need to have X speakers in 7.0.X ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for remembering my setup ! You mean I need to have X speakers in 7.0.X ?
Yes, so ceiling or high wall mounted speakers in the common positions (in order of what seams to be the most effective):
Top Front, Top Back, Front Height, Rear Height, Top Middle

Unless you have a processor capable of so doing, you usually can do any of them as x.x.2 with possible exception of Top Middle. I have seen issues from time to time with people trying to mix in an x.x.4 setup Fr Ht and Top Bk or similar. My limited experience is that they seem to want you to do either Tops or Heights, and only when you get to an x.x.6 capable processor can you add in one of the others.
If I am incorrect, I'm certain someone will rectify and I welcome the correction. :)

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Yes, so ceiling or high wall mounted speakers in the common positions (in order of what seams to be the most effective):
Top Front, Top Back, Front Height, Rear Height, Top Middle

Unless you have a processor capable of so doing, you usually can do any of them as x.x.2 with possible exception of Top Middle. I have seen issues from time to time with people trying to mix in an x.x.4 setup Fr Ht and Top Bk or similar. My limited experience is that they seem to want you to do either Tops or Heights, and only when you get to an x.x.6 capable processor can you add in one of the others.
If I am incorrect, I'm certain someone will rectify and I welcome the correction. :)
Ok so right now I am using 9 of the 11 amps (7.0.0 but bi amping front speakers). I have some spare Yamaha speakers that were coming with a Pianocraft mini stereo receiver from the 2000s. I will have a try using those for front presence to see if it’s unlocking Atmos decoding. If so I will maximize the use of the 11 channels !

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Ok so right now I am using 9 of the 11 amps (7.0.0 but bi amping front speakers). I have some spare Yamaha speakers that were coming with a Pianocraft mini stereo receiver from the 2000s. I will have a try using those for front presence to see if it’s unlocking Atmos decoding. If so I will maximize the use of the 11 channels !
You got this bro! The force is strong with you! ;)

dsavage30

dsavage30

Audiophyte
Im new to this site, and I have a question. I have a new home, and I wired it up for an 11 channel system. preferably 7.2.4. That being said, I have had many yamaha aventage receivers, latest one being the RX-A2080. Obviously, I now need an upgraded receiver with more channels. My local high end electronics store has not got a single new Yamaha Aventage receiver in yet, (RX-A8A). They will run $3k, when they ever do come in. My store is offering me the Denon AVR-X8500HA, which has the new upgraded 8k hdmi boards, for $4k. Thats a $500 discount off the normal price. They have it in stock, and willing to sell it to me for that price, instead of endlessly waiting on the new Yamaha. What would you guys do? Which receiver would you prefer of the two?

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
You got this bro! The force is strong with you! ;)
My elder reaction when telling her how the living room home cinema is progressing (she was by her mother this week so didn't seen the AVR and 4 surrounds speakers) : "Daddy, aren't you afraid so many speakers wont look good in the living room?"

"Nope...."

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My elder reaction when telling her how the living room home cinema is progressing (she was by her mother this week so didn't seen the AVR and 4 surrounds speakers) : "Daddy, aren't you afraid so many speakers wont look good in the living room?"

"Nope...."
Nice! Let her put on her favorite scary movie, and watch her jump off the sofa. Priceless I tell you! :D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Nice! Let her put on her favorite scary movie, and watch her jump off the sofa. Priceless I tell you! :D
We like to simply enjoying stereo music together. Can't wait to listen to Harry Styles Fine Line with her with the A8A. It brings music up to your bones and heart

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, don’t worry @OldAndSlowDev , we aren’t done with you by a sight! We’ll drag you kicking and screaming into pure audio bliss, one way or the other! ;)

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
dsavage30

dsavage30

Audiophyte
Any opinions on Denon AVR-X8500HA vs the Yamaha RX-A8A? Take out the money factor, just unit vs unit primarily. Sound quality, picture quality, etc.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Any opinions on Denon AVR-X8500HA vs the Yamaha RX-A8A? Take out the money factor, just unit vs unit primarily. Sound quality, picture quality, etc.
On my side while not having a lot of experience but having compared those two amps, the lack of reliable hdmi 2.1 on the Denon was an issue. This is why I went for the A8A

dsavage30

dsavage30

Audiophyte
On my side while not having a lot of experience but having compared those two amps, the lack of reliable hdmi 2.1 on the Denon was an issue. This is why I went for the A8A
This is the HA model, it replaced the H model. The replaced and updated the hdmi port, with the newer 8k port. So that issue is resolved.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is why I went for the A8A
Ummm.
Which doesn't have reliable hdmi 2.1. So... your point?

And, though it's not ideal, SU's solutions do work, and they are offereing an upgraded Flagship version in the "HA."

I've said this many times before:
WAIT.
Wait until Yamaha gets their sh!t together and gets HDMI 2.1 working , and then, frankly, I would still wait to see what SU has up their sleeve with the 2022 Denon and Marantz lineup. Also, as has been mentioned, we still don't know what problems Gene found in his DUT that concerned him enough to reach out to Yamaha about them.

We need, as consumers, to stop supporting half-baked implementation of goods. Even though it's a fraction of their business... Yamaha is laughing their way to the bank as people lap up these units that aren't even proven to work properly.
(sorry to all those that have them and say they are working great for you, despite not having 2.1 functioning yet.)

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
So I tried 7.0.2 and 5.0.4 and I can't get the atmos to appear on the front panel... There is something I don't get

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis