Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@PENG - has anyone measured the THD+N of the Digital Processing done by Dirac, Trinnov, ARC, Audyssey?

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
As for a third party solution, MiniDSP has som gear that is licensed with Dirac, and if you have pre-outs you can install those between AVR/AVP and amp and have Dirac do it’s thing.
I was looking at the MiniDSP solution myself both for home audio and car audio with their Dirac solutions. This can’t really be used with an integrated AVR even with pre outs and as there are typically no amp inputs on it correct?

I used to use an old Pioneer receiver a long time ago and it had these C shaped connectors that tied the preamp out to the amp input and I always thought that was so cool. Wonder why no one else does this unless it just introduced too much noise or too many connectors on today’s systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
So how will Yamaha be “punished? By the extremely smaller percentage of people who care about auto room EQ (since the majority of the people who buy Yamaha AVR don’t care about auto room EQ)?
Yamaha has been firmly rejected by the very market they had tried to enter - consumer gaming. We shall look into sales figures shortly. Their 2020 botched models of AVRs with faulty HDMI boards did not fly off the shelves at all. Entire generation of AVRs was shown a middle finger by users, in the same way as it happened to 11th generation of Intel processors earlier in the year that were roasting PC cases with power usage.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I was looking at the MiniDSP solution myself both for home audio and car audio with their Dirac solutions. This can’t really be used with an integrated AVR even with pre outs and as there are typically no amp inputs on it correct?

I used to use an old Pioneer receiver a long time ago and it had these C shaped connectors that tied the preamp out to the amp input and I always thought that was so cool. Wonder why no one else does this unless it just introduced too much noise or too many connectors on today’s systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You would use this:
...for example. Most full channel implementations would require two of them added to the chain.
And yes, you would take pre-out signal to the DDRC-88a which then would output to your Amps.
;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Their 2020 botched models of AVRs with faulty HDMI boards did not fly off the shelves at all.
They would have to be sitting on the shelves first before they could fly off.

I couldn't even get my hands on them to sell because my Distributors were all sold out for a long time - like the entire summer. So the AVRs were backordered.

The Yamaha AVRs were selling so fast that they never even had any in stock to place on the shelves.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Lol…..
Shhhh…I do have some yamaha gear…whisper voice…
Lol, all this miss about chips making my head hurt! :D Thing about all this, which one is better, truth be told and You and I know when they're all setup right everything being equal they all sound the same. I'm not having any issues with my A4A as of now. I personally don't like my AVR controling any video source my 4K tv upscales very well. I use the HDMI audio out from my 4K player to my AVR and the Video/Audio out from my 4K play to my eARC to my 4K TV. Walla! no 2.1 issues, which I don't have any source use for 2.1 anyways. I myself like Onkyo's new AVR it's a beast. Denon and Marantz goes without saying very nice AVR's. Guys make some very valid points, Yamaha dropped the ball, we shall see in the end with this chip thing. I remember reading Gene had stated a work around for the 2.1 issues, just run your 2.1 straight to your 4K tv and ARC back to your AVR Wala problem solved. If I had the means I'd have all separates, ATi amps, one of them 16K pre-pro's.Then I be in Doc's camp haten all AVR's. But I live on a budget so AVR'S it is.

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
But I live on a budget so AVR'S it is.
True, but you are charged for new board and features that are not functional out of the box. 2020 units were also sold with inflated prices and those boards never worked with new features, hence free board replacement programme.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
The Yamaha AVRs were selling so fast that they never even had any in stock to place on the shelves.
Some regions in the world were hit more with logistics problems due to Covid, but the question is how many units were provided in the first place? There is something called artificial scarcity, like in GPU market. It looked like graphics cards were never in stock because not enough of those were provided. Nvidia aritificially manipulated market, manufactured less in some periods and depleted stocks to keep prices and demand high. It therefore looked as if it stock was never there.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
True, but you are charged for new board and features that are not functional out of the box. 2020 units were also sold with inflated prices and those boards never worked with new features, hence free board replacement programme.
Well, well just read a article on NBC, FTC going to start issuing out fines to those who use ( Dark Pattern) is what FTC is calling it, when products should be re-engineered. Congress, watchdog groups, projection agencies, are taking a hard look at tech companys this year. One got hit with a 13 million fine in class action lawsuit. Looking at all of them the, app companies, tech companies, everyone of um. But here's the thing what's it to them to having to pay 13 million fine when they done made 100' s of millions. To them that's just the price of doing business. Look at all the fines against the pharmaceutical company's. They made billions, so they pay out billions in fines and class action lawsuits but they still pocket billions, just the price of doing business I guess.

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Well, well just read a article on NBC, FTC goings to start issuing out fines to those who use ( Dark Pattern) is what FTC is calling it, when products should be re-engineered. Congress, watchdog groups, projection agencies, are taking a hard look at tech companys this year. One got hit with a 13 million fine in class action lawsuit. Looking at all of them the, app companies, tech companies, everyone of um. But here's the thing what's it to them to having to pay 13 million fine when they done made 100' s of millions. To them that's just the price of doing business. Look at all the fines against the pharmaceutical company's. They made billions, so they pay out billions in fines and class action lawsuits but they still pocket billions, just the price of doing business I guess.
You are right. Slapping Apple or Whatsapp with $200 million fine is not going to do the trick. Consumer protection and product quality assurance laws will only change in our favour if there is a mass lobbying from consumer groups, such as Right to Repair in US and EU, which I supported financially. Companies are powerful enough to lobby and swing the letter of law in their advantage. The only countermeasure is organised consumers.

No AVR company should EVER be allowed to release a product that is not fully functional out of the box. It's ridiculous what happened with HDMI 2.1 machines. Imagine Intel releasing a new processor with 10 cores and saying to their customers that 2 cores do not work out of the box, so you have performance of 8 cores and you pay full price for 10, but we will release a firmware for another two in unknown future. It would be unimaginable. But, in AVR world things are allowed to go bonkers. Many consumers somehow accept half-baked machines and buy those. So, companies feel they can get away with it.

T

TadMoore

Enthusiast
In settings, for (HDMI Video Format) All HDMI's, should be set to (Mode 1). Also for (HDMI Version) all HDMI's 1 through 7 should be set to (Auto). HDMI Standby Through, set to (On). I'll mention, I had Cox cable last year don't anymore just their internet service, I had issues with their cable box, audio and video issues. My RX-A1080 never would upscale to 4K from that Cox box always showed just 1080P. Check your satellite box settings maybe something's up with it? I have no issues at all with my RX-A4A.
So, this morning I started over again. Disconnected the BD player,and hooked satellite from the A4A to the TV. Same result, no audio. It sure sounds like your hunch was correct. The satellite box is probably too old, and it is old. At least 4-5 years, and who knows how old the model is.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
So, this morning I started over again. Disconnected the BD player,and hooked satellite from the A4A to the TV. Same result, no audio. It sure sounds like your hunch was correct. The satellite box is probably too old, and it is old. At least 4-5 years, and who knows how old the model is.
Is there a setting in your Sat box for audio? Them Sat/cable boxes are usually old outdated. Besides being over priced for Cox cable service, their cable boxes are old, not intuitive at all to use usually incompatible with new AVR'S. Just got Cox internet back last month and when went into the local Cox store here, the sale's lady tried her best to get me to sign up for their cable service do a bundle thing. Told her I didn't want to pay to be advertise too on cable channels. She goes but we premium channels, told her at 200 bucks a month no thank you.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
@TadMoore , how are you liking your RX-A4A? Mine has been great, my Son came over with his PlayStation 5 yesterday we hooked it up to see how it would do in 4K 60Hzs, not one glitch, video looked really nice. Have you done the update yet? Mine came with 1.14 out the box, updated to 1.22 over the internet took about 10 minutes.

T

TadMoore

Enthusiast
The audio options are Dolby Digital/PCM. My options for a new box are, either rent at 15 a month or buy for 500. Now that's in Canadian funds, but either way they've got ya.

T

TadMoore

Enthusiast
@TadMoore , how are you liking your RX-A4A? Mine has been great, my Son came over with his PlayStation 5 yesterday we hooked it up to see how it would do in 4K 60Hzs, not one glitch, video looked really nice. Have you done the update yet? Mine came with 1.14 out the box, updated to 1.22 over the internet took about 10 minutes.
I've really enjoyed what I've seen and heard so far. BD looks nice, and the sound has some nice punch. I just have to get this STB issue resolved.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I've really enjoyed what I've seen and heard so far. BD looks nice, and the sound has some nice punch. I just have to get this STB issue resolved.
I'm really liking the bass management. It's much improved, YPAO nailed it first run, but I ran it again just to see if anything would change and only on my right rear surround it changed by 2".

T

TadMoore

Enthusiast
I'm really liking the bass management. It's much improved, YPAO nailed it first run, but I ran it again just to see if anything would change and only on my right rear surround it changed by 2".
I haven't run YPAO yet, due to the other issues. It sounds ok for now but I'm sure once I get a chance to run it, it will be much better. Then I can really get using it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis