Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not even a Yamaha customer, but as a consumer, I find myself getting much more frustrated, disappointed; even angry! over this whole situation with Yamaha pushing stuff to market… AGAIN!… that is not fully functional.
Where I was finding myself beginning to consider them as a candidate for my next upgrade, I now find myself seething at their disregard.
For a company whose reputation in the audio world was pretty sparkly, this is wholly unacceptable. And people are still supporting it!!! “Oh, it’ll work, someday.” Or worse, through tacit acceptance of their seeming incompetence because, “I don’t even game so that functionality isn’t important.”

What we know is that the main technological upgrade to this generation of gear should be functioning out of the box. And then there are the hints that there are troubling measurements from Gene’s benching of the A6A.

Don’t worry. If SU c0cks up their next release, I’ll be right there with my pitchfork and torch chasing them out of town too!

:mad::mad::mad:
There was an opportunity to replace that fukking HDMI connection system for something similar to the reliable XLR connector, but they decided to hang on to that really stupid design.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I propose renaming the thread to:
Yamaha DIS-AVANTAGE 2021 AVRs Bulk up on Excuses, Empty Promises, and BS

If that don't punch them in their baby-makers enough to get them up and running, F them.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
There was an opportunity to replace that fukking HDMI connection system for something similar to the reliable XLR connector, but they decided to hang on to that really stupid design.
You just made a very important point. I never did and still don't like the HDMI connector alone it's always loose doesn't seem to fit like really tight. That alone has to put stress with the weight of the cables pulling down.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
You're welcome. There's no specific release date for Auro 3D yet. I think that update will come after we've finished activating all of the HDMI 2.1 features. So certainly sometime next year
It is unacceptable, of course, as Onkyo, for example, has all ports and features functional out of the box, including 40 Gbps connection speed. AVRs need not to be certified for HDMI 2.1 features to work. It's a voluntary process.

The reason why Yamaha is so vague about this crucial firmware is because they decided for HDMI Forum to certify their AVRs against official test bench. We do not know when this certification process would commence and Yamaha probably does not know either, as it is up to the HDMI Forum to come up with a suit of formalised measures.Once they succeed, some time next year..., Yamaha AVR may be the first ones to be officially certified for HDMI 2.1. Even when this happens, it is not clear whether all bugs are resolved. Until then, say your prayers...

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
Quick update on 1.22 on my a8a. Still losing signal when changing channels using my LG c9 with ota antenna. Might be a c9 issue.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Yamaha DIS-AVANTAGE
This name has been already posted before, ~ two months ago. It is DisAventage, but mostly A2A, which will be limited to 24 Gbps. For those who do not need such bandwidth, it's fine.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This name has been already posted before, ~ two months ago. It is DisAventage, but mostly A2A, which will be limited to 24 Gbps. For those who do not need such bandwidth, it's fine.
Not claiming it as my own. Just paying homage. ;)

Either way, this is a crock.
1635530162822.png

:)

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
You just made a very important point. I never did and still don't like the HDMI connector alone it's always loose doesn't seem to fit like really tight. That alone has to put stress with the weight of the cables pulling down.
I have never had problems with the connector itself, however it is true that DisplayPort connectors are more robust and hold more tightly. The reason why AVRs' back panels are so consevrative with digital AV connectors is because companies have mainly catered for consumer electronics ecosystem, which is dominated by HDMI. Now, consumer electronics market has been experiencing changes in recent years. As computers, laptops, NAS and other devices start to integrate with home entertainment environment, DisplayPort over traditional DP connector or over USB-C are gaining traction across PC ecosystem.

We are waiting for TV and AVR companies to finally diversify AV boards and add one or two DisplayPort connectors finally. They have got to move on from providing HDMI only. This approach is out of date. In PC environment, almost every single monitor, graphics card and most motherboards have both HDMI and DP ports, some more advanced even have Thunderbolt or DP-USB-C. So, that's three audio-video connectors. I have all three ports at home on three separate devices - motherboard, graphics cards and monitor. You can connect whatever configuration you happen to have and whatever you please. It's diverse and it gives choices.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
No one on AH, please don't get Doc aka TLSGuy ;) started in on AVR's! Oh my God! Hope he doesn't see this thread.:D DOC hates AVR's :oops: PS. Those of you who don't know DOC, he is very knowledgeable and well respected on AH. And he also got a lot of very nice toy's in his setup's.

xcomp666

xcomp666

Audiophyte
I just got some updates from both stores. Seems that my pre-orders (A6A and A8A) are on way! :cool: Now I have to decide which one I should stick with. Since we don't have a decent review for the A6A model, I think that A8A it's a safe choice. What do you think guys?

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Can't wait for mine, after waiting 20 years I will finally have a home cinema setup :)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
RX-A8A. Waiting for my central speaker too... I don't expect to get mine before mid November
Dude, your gonna love that Beast!! My A4A just came in today. All good No issues, no CEC issues, no audio or video dropouts. I did take the Hood off to do a look see, it's jam packed in there! The OSD is easy to use, tons of settings if you choose to mess with. I tried to upload some pics, but can't there to big and I can't resize because all I have is a smartphone.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Bro!! Just got done setting it up.
View attachment 51196
Yamaha Orange was my favourite display color until they went for the " me too look " blue-green florescent look of every other AVR manufacturer out there. This new display, although a little on the small side is a welcome departure from that "me too" look. They missed the opportunity of bringing back that Yamaha orange though. All in all, its a very nice unit. Congrats. Do you game?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha Orange was my favourite display color until they went for the " me too look " blue-green florescent look of every other AVR manufacturer out there. This new display, although a little on the small side is a welcome departure from that "me too" look. They missed the opportunity of bringing back that Yamaha orange though. All in all, its a very nice unit. Congrats. Do you game?
Some not much, I'm old school, you're probably going to laugh, my oldest Son and he's 43 has two PS2, I borrow one from time to time and love playing Final fantasy IV. Yeah I know old game lil characters cartoonish but hey they my peeps!! Lol. Anyways I will be getting a PS4 pro early next year probably January February. I do want a PS5 but I'll wait till everything calms down. I want one cause all my grandchildren plus my two adult sons are Big Time gamers with headsets everything surround you name it. Thousands of games between them. I wanta just jump in chat online with them and leave messages like, hey what off world planet your on, what monsters you killing. :D My grandchildren love it when I pop in on them lil munchies.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis